PDA

View Full Version : Don't laugh

Ryusan
02-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Can someone help me by explaining the steps on how to change
the Transmission fluid. I'm sure it's like changing the oil
but I have never attemted to do this and would like to start.

Thanks alot in advance.

sniperSI
02-04-2004, 01:23 PM
pssssh, I'm not laughing, i want to know too.

Lucid Moments
02-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Kind of curious myself. What are ya'll looking to change to? I've heard good things about Royal Purple.

dofu
02-04-2004, 05:14 PM
there's a bolt on the bottom of the tranny case that you take out to drain. thats the one spoon has a replacement for. to fill, there's a bolt up a lil higher, but you need a wrench that fits it... if you have tool kit, you'll have it. it kinda sinks in... ya see it??? you jus stick the wrench in there and take it out??? then you'll need a pump to get oil in there... then you're done. simple

Peking
02-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by dofu
there's a bolt on the bottom of the tranny case that you take out to drain. thats the one spoon has a replacement for. to fill, there's a bolt up a lil higher, but you need a wrench that fits it... if you have tool kit, you'll have it. it kinda sinks in... ya see it??? you jus stick the wrench in there and take it out??? then you'll need a pump to get oil in there... then you're done. simple

Isn't there more to it than that? Like checking the level by sticking your fingure in to see if the fluid is level to the bottom of the opening? Hell, I got the dealer to drain and fill.

2.0L Monster
02-05-2004, 06:19 AM
You just keep filling it up until it starts to spill out. And make sure its as close to level ground and jacked up as little as possible.

The fill bolt is needs a 17 mm socket and the drain plug uses either a 1/4 or a 1/2 inch drive rachet. All that is, is the thing where you stick the socket onto the rachet.

Easy, right? :cool:

02civicSI
02-05-2004, 07:22 AM
just any transmission fluid will do?

dofu
02-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 2.0L Monster
You just keep filling it up until it starts to spill out. And make sure its as close to level ground and jacked up as little as possible.

The fill bolt is needs a 17 mm socket and the drain plug uses either a 1/4 or a 1/2 inch drive rachet. All that is, is the thing where you stick the socket onto the rachet.

Easy, right? :cool:

oh... so i had it the other way around lol... close enough.

02SilverSiHB
02-07-2004, 10:32 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29887
I guess I should have put it here :o

Ryusan
02-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Thank you very much! That was very helpful.

Omen
02-07-2004, 11:11 PM
02SilverSiHB has a good write-up, but I want to make a slight correction:

Remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug. This way if there is any reason the fill plug will not come off you aren't stuck with a fluidless tranny. Not likely on a fairly new car like the Si, but better safe than sorry.

VividDreams
02-11-2004, 08:04 PM
good idea

LHD_EP3
02-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Spot on mate, I'll never let 02SilverSiHB touch my car now.

02SilverSiHB
02-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by LHD_EP3
Spot on mate, I'll never let 02SilverSiHB touch my car now.
LOL! :D

f4hondaphile
02-16-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Omen

Remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug. This way if there is any reason the fill plug will not come off you aren't stuck with a fluidless tranny. Not likely on a fairly new car like the Si, but better safe than sorry.

This also helps the old oil drain faster and likely will get more of the dirty oil out because it avoids the vacuum effect that slows the flow when only the drain pug is out.

f4hondaphile
02-16-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Omen

This also helps the old oil drain faster and likely will get more of the dirty oil out because it avoids the vacuum effect that slows the flow when only the drain pug is out.

MrCivic03
02-16-2004, 08:11 PM
ive been thinkin of doin mine but just wanted to kno what all u guys would use for new fluid??? Chunky told me he swears by Mobil 1 so i probably will try this and get mine done this weekend. i also need oil change and wanted to kno what all u use for oil also? and btw Chunky said he has heard bad things about royal purple and said to avoid it...

02SilverSiHB
02-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by MrCivic03
ive been thinkin of doin mine but just wanted to kno what all u guys would use for new fluid??? Chunky told me he swears by Mobil 1 so i probably will try this and get mine done this weekend. i also need oil change and wanted to kno what all u use for oil also? and btw Chunky said he has heard bad things about royal purple and said to avoid it...
I went ahead and used Honda Manual Transmission oil. I've always been told that engine oil isn't the best thing for honda transmissions.

sirdee
03-23-2004, 04:28 PM
I used to work at a honda dealership. I'm just gonna say i'd use the Honda manual transmission fluid.