PDA

View Full Version : Questions about AEM CAI...

j0nb0y22
09-27-2002, 11:22 AM
I want one of these soooo bad but I have on big concern with sucking up water. Have any of you tried to put one of those AEM bypass vavles on? if so how did that work out? Also I was just wonderin if any of you have had problems with sucking up water at all. Thanks guys.

PoRT
09-27-2002, 11:42 AM
i live in new orleans, just drove through a hurricane, no bypass valve, went through a good bit of water.. and my car is still running. i got really nervous, but it ok now, lol

SubliminalSi
09-27-2002, 12:48 PM
yeah, just pay the extra $50 for a bypass. Ive hit all kinds of standing water with noooo probbbb

Pradamuimui
09-27-2002, 01:32 PM
Ok heres the deal with AEM's CAI. First you dont have to really be concerned with sucking up water with ur CAI unless ur driving through a deep puddle, where the air filter would be submerged in water. Now if that happens then obviously ur gonna suck up some water. Now AEM doesnt make an actual Bipass valve for our specific intake. However there is other bipass valves that they make that will fit ours. Now heres the important part that you must remember when going to purchase ur CAI. Make sure that you buy the short ram with the cold air extension...because if you dont there will be no way for the bipass valve to fit on since the CAI that they make for our car is in one piece not 2!! So remember that. Second no matter what anyone says, the bipass valve is a great idea to use with a CAI...it puts that extra feeling of security in you knowing that you dont have to worry about sucking up water. Now remember that you will loose a couple of HP with the bypass valve on...but hey its no biggy, just simply take it off before you go out racing and you will gain the power back. Hopes this helps!!!!

greenguy
09-27-2002, 02:21 PM
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0104scc_tested/

civic hatch boi
09-27-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Pradamuimui
Now remember that you will loose a couple of HP with the bypass valve on...but hey its no biggy

hmmm...
that's weird tho no?
cuz cai's only give you a couple of HP.
so to lose a couple of HP...
u're getting an intake purely for sound? and engine bay looks?

SpeedRacer
09-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi

hmmm...
that's weird tho no?
cuz cai's only give you a couple of HP.
so to lose a couple of HP...
u're getting an intake purely for sound? and engine bay looks?

YEP so if your going to get a bypass valve and you are that worried about it just buy a short ram intake you will be better off.

civic hatch boi
09-27-2002, 08:04 PM
i agree.. that's a waste of money to buy an aem(expensive) then a bypass(more money) to get 0gain hp.. glad it's hardly wet here in la/sd :)

Mr.02BlackSIguY
09-27-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by SubliminalSi
yeah, just pay the extra $50 for a bypass. Ive hit all kinds of standing water with noooo probbbb

hey sumbliminalsi, i see u have sportline springs. just wondering how much they lower and how are they because im planning to get these springs.

twill
09-28-2002, 12:59 PM
I have the AEM CAI on, and I really enjoy it. The sound is worth it alone, not to mention any HP gains (have not dynoed the car). The only problem with trying to use one of those bypass valves is that it has to be installed on a section of pipe that is horizontal to the ground, and there really isn't a section of tubing on the CAI that runs horizontally. Plus, even if there were, you'd have to cut the pipe to install the bypass valve.

Bottom line: The CAI designed for our cars is just not made to use the bypass valve!

Si_Nutt
09-30-2002, 07:39 PM
Don't get the bypass valve, it does reduce the hp gains of the CAI, plus they had a problem with the foam getting sucked into the throttle body on early units so they added a cheesy plastic spring to hold it together. Not worth the money, IMO. Unless you totally submerge your filter and floor it, you will be fine.

i-WERKS
10-01-2002, 11:10 AM
Does the AEM CAI expose the filter to the open road? or is there something between the road and the filter?

fishboy
10-01-2002, 11:33 AM
the front bumper separates the filter from the road. actually if you look in the driverside front wheel well you will see plastic, the filter sits right behind it, i would say close to the amber bumper lights. i hope that made sense, i'm still sleepy.

oh and if you are worried about water get the icebox. i wouldn't get the AEM model then get a bypass, plus i don't think it can be done. it would better and cheaper probably to just get the icebox.

HondaMan
10-01-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer

YEP so if your going to get a bypass valve and you are that worried about it just buy a short ram intake you will be better off.

I agree...hence 1 reason why I'm running the Typhoon.

i-WERKS
10-01-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by fishboy
the front bumper separates the filter from the road. actually if you look in the driverside front wheel well you will see plastic, the filter sits right behind it, i would say close to the amber bumper lights. i hope that made sense, i'm still sleepy.

I see so it sits in the same place as the injen CAI

odyessy SI
10-05-2002, 07:14 AM
exactly how deep of a puddle would damage our engines with a AEM cai? kno this is a stupid question but i live in chicago and sometimes there are some pretty deep puddles here

SubliminalSi
10-05-2002, 08:30 AM
It would just about have to be as high as your front bumper, thats where the air filter is, that or a puddle could splash really high under your car for some weird reason