PDA

View Full Version : Clutchmasters and Phantom- Grip LSD

Most-Wanted
02-05-2004, 02:29 PM
The Silver Boosted Hatch is being sponsored by Clutchmaster's and Phantom-Grip to show everyone how potent these K-series cars can be.
Clutchmaster's has offered me a stage 3 clutch and a 2400lb pressure plate. This will solve all slipping issues. The Phantom-Grip LSD is courtesy of John Brown(Phantom-Grip) a major player in the big leagues of Drag Racing and also a good friend. We all know our cars are in desperate need of traction and this should be an incredible combination. I will keep everyone informed on the progress as it will probably take a week or so get get it all accomplished. Many thanks to South Florida Performance for doing all the dirty work.

andy
02-05-2004, 02:54 PM
You'll have to keep us updated on how you like that Phantom Grip.
The whole idea just screams "short term use" to me, but if it works,
it works.
Keep up the sweet upgrades...you bastard!!! :mad: ;) j/k

GeNoZiDe
02-09-2004, 10:29 PM
i heard the phantom grip LSD is ultimate crap, i ve heard so many people that got it and it broke, so i doubt its worth even puttin in the tranny since takin it out and puttin it in is so much work. i mean this is one cheap LSD they cost like 400 cdn or so. a nice Kaaz one costs 1300 canadian LOL
so u get what u pay for :)

FCobra94
02-09-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by GeNoZiDe
i heard the phantom grip LSD is ultimate crap, i ve heard so many people that got it and it broke, so i doubt its worth even puttin in the tranny since takin it out and puttin it in is so much work. i mean this is one cheap LSD they cost like 400 cdn or so. a nice Kaaz one costs 1300 canadian LOL
so u get what u pay for :)

Yeah. A friend said that most people on Hoinda-Tech who have used it refer to it as the "Random Grip" because of it's poor performance/reliability :p

Sb00
02-09-2004, 11:34 PM
or the phantom-slip :p

02SilverSiHB
02-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Sb00
or the phantom-slip :p
LOL! that's what I always hear too

Most-Wanted
03-03-2004, 07:08 PM
Oh yeah! That's what I'm talkin about! I love the new set-up.
Phantom-Grip matched with a Clutchmaster's Stage 4 clutch and pressure plate. What a difference it makes. I don't feel any torque steer anymore at all. I am putting out over 300hp to the wheels and am having no issues what so ever. I will be going to the track as soon as I get a set of stock brakes up front so I can run on slicks. I will keep everyone posted.

bioevolve
03-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Great goodies there! I want to see a how to on the Phantom Grip to the 5 and 6 speeds of the K-series trannies, I've seen it done on older trannies. Phantom Grip would be a great, cheaper priced, alternative to the JDM LSD.

PhantomGripLSD
03-04-2004, 04:23 PM
Good luck at the track MW. Let me know when you are going and I will go.

Most-Wanted
03-04-2004, 05:24 PM
I ordered the front brakes today(rotors, calipers, and pads). So, as soon as they are in place, it's off to the track. I will definitely call you and let you know. We are waiting for the axles to be made, so it may be two weeks or so before I'm ready. I don't feel like breaking axles again(remember those days). I may do a few light passes before then though, we'll see. Thanks again:)

myeverlovinsir
03-04-2004, 06:45 PM
What brake kit did you get? I went with the wilwoods.;)

http://we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjk4NDQyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

Most-Wanted
03-05-2004, 10:28 AM
I went back to stock. I can't get a slick on the car with a big brake kit.

johnnydanger
03-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
What brake kit did you get? I went with the wilwoods.;)

http://we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjk4NDQyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

those are what i have... :D myeverlovinsi, when we gonna hook up and meet?

Tnhatch03
03-05-2004, 02:02 PM
I am not sure if anyone else noticed. But is it a Clutchmaster's Stage 3 or Stage 4? You put 2 different ones down

Tnhatch03
03-05-2004, 02:03 PM
I am not sure if anyone else noticed. But is it a Clutchmaster's Stage 3 or Stage 4? You put 2 different ones down

Most-Wanted
03-05-2004, 03:01 PM
LOL... It is a hybrid Stage 3 4 puck carbon/kevlar clutch w/ a stage 4 2400lb. pressure plate. The stage 3 clutch wasn't holding up with my hp and stock pressure plate, so they made some changes. So far, so good.

bioevolve
03-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Hey, aren't those rotors on wrong side?!?!?!?!?!

johnnydanger
03-05-2004, 06:21 PM
i don't think they are... i think mine are the same direction... i had a honda master mechanic install mine, so i'm assuming he knows the right direction... :)

myeverlovinsir
03-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by bioevolve
Hey, aren't those rotors on wrong side?!?!?!?!?!

Nope they are the right way on. I am so stoked right now. I have everything clicking now! DC5R tranny, CM stage III clutch, Fidanza 8lb aluminum fly, Kpro hondata with 4300rpm vtec engagement and 8600rpm redline, wilwoods all in one shot. It's a little overwhelming right now, and drove it this evening for about 2hrs. I still have to put back the head unit and stuff, but it runs like a dream. The LSD is simply wonderful and the acceleration is much improved.:D :D :D

bioevolve
03-05-2004, 06:29 PM
That direction would push the brake dust and gases to center of hub inward, don't you want the dust and gases to expel outward so you don't get build upof dust and heat?!?!?!?!

myeverlovinsir
03-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by bioevolve
That direction would push the brake dust and gases to center of hub inward, don't you want the dust and gases to expel outward so you don't get build upof dust and heat?!?!?!?!

That's the way they are designed. Check the arrow in the pic there is only one way the rotor should rotate and this is the correct way.;)

anjapower
03-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Glen you have the 8600 RPM redline on the A3 block?! Is it safe to rev that high?

myeverlovinsir
03-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by anjapower
Glen you have the 8600 RPM redline on the A3 block?! Is it safe to rev that high?

No its not. I won't go that high with it. That's the way it came when I got the Kpro. (K20A2-coldair program) It's the std. flash for the A2 #4 and works just fine. I datalogged the trip I took with it today and am still learning how it may be improved for my setup. :D

02SilverSiHB
03-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Nope they are the right way on. I am so stoked right now. I have everything clicking now! DC5R tranny, CM stage III clutch, Fidanza 8lb aluminum fly, Kpro hondata with 4300rpm vtec engagement and 8600rpm redline, wilwoods all in one shot. It's a little overwhelming right now, and drove it this evening for about 2hrs. I still have to put back the head unit and stuff, but it runs like a dream. The LSD is simply wonderful and the acceleration is much improved.:D :D :D
stage 3 on that motor? kinda over kill isn't? Or you planing to go crazy boost?

myeverlovinsir
03-05-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
stage 3 on that motor? kinda over kill isn't? Or you planing to go crazy boost?

No way is it overkill. Stage III CM is middle of the road. My clutch pedal is actually lighter to depress than the stock one was. Go figure. But it grabs alot better. Stage III you can still feather the clutch out and is very streetable. Stage 4 is an even quicker bite and tougher to feather. If your going to upgrade the clutch, you will want to go stage III to start, anything below that is the same as stock IMO.;)

Edit: Btw, stage III is only 110% over stock power ratings. I will need that if not more.

Clutchmasters site (http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/)
Read up on it, it fits my setup just fine.

USMCSI PT.2
03-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Hey myeverlovinsir will the dc5-r LSD fit into the stock A3 tranny? What about the clutch and flywheel? Thanks for your time man.

myeverlovinsir
03-06-2004, 09:57 PM
I am not entirely sure about using the DC5R LSD in the EP tranny, and don't know if anyone has tried it yet. Fortunately mine was included as a package deal. The DC5R clutch and fly should be a straight swap onto the EP block. I have a spare DC5R clutch that came with my tranny if your interested.

fsugatorbait
03-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Im 99.9% sure that the DC5-R LSD will fit within the 5spd.

myeverlovinsir
03-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
Im 99.9% sure that the DC5-R LSD will fit within the 5spd.

There are a few vets who think not. That's why I don't know for sure.
Did you see a post somewhere of someone who did it? I could not find one.

LSD thread (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=32036)

I also tried to track down any base guys on clubrsx and could not find one, instead they hinted that it would not work as well.:confused:

myeverlovinsir
03-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by johnnydanger
those are what i have... :D myeverlovinsi, when we gonna hook up and meet?

Did you notice how the steering wheel feels heavier in the hands with the larger rotors? Also the front wheels run a true straight line because of the added rotational mass. You, Chet and I should meet up next weekend if your up for it?;)

Edit: this thread has been jack'd!

PhantomGripLSD
03-08-2004, 06:18 PM
The DC5R LSD will fit both the 5 and 6 spd.

myeverlovinsir
03-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by PhantomGripLSD
The DC5R LSD will fit both the 5 and 6 spd.

Have you done this? I would like more than it will work. Any links?

PhantomGripLSD
03-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Sorry myeverlovinsir, I am only offering help with information from a proven source, myself I have installed the DC5R LSD in the 5spd. I have also converted the 5spd to 6spd, machined the JDM Integra Type-R LSD to fit the K-series trans and swapped 6spd final drives to spd's all for testing. You can trust I only offer fact not opinion. I will keep my information to myself in the future.

myeverlovinsir
03-09-2004, 06:05 AM
Well, you know what it's like with all the misinformation out there about things, there is even less known about the DC5R LSD swap in the 5-speed than your PG, so I am only trying to keep it real and as you know it's tough sifting through who knows first hand of what they speak and what is a rumor. I appreciate that you have done it and can add credence to the topic. If you care to elaborate, I'm sure others will be quite interested. Thanks;)

fsugatorbait
03-09-2004, 10:29 AM
There are a few vets who think not. That's why I don't know for sure.
Did you see a post somewhere of someone who did it? I could not find one.

LSD thread (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=32036)

I also tried to track down any base guys on clubrsx and could not find one, instead they hinted that it would not work as well.:confused:

I had read it in a post a long long time ago. I dont really remember what site it was either, but remember that it would work and based on that info that was the LSD I was planning to go with. I dont know enough about the details of both tranny's to make my own educated guess, but based on what I do know, I dont see why it wouldnt.