PDA

View Full Version : clutch #2?

ravenings
09-27-2002, 01:25 PM
Hey all,
it's me again...still learning to drive a manual tranny.

1) I have 450 miles on my car now, it's much happier revving now than before...but recently, in the past 2 days, I've been feeling vibration through the clutch pedal whenever I'm letting go of the clutch. I don't believe this vibration was there before, it only came up in the last 2 days. Originally, I thought it's because I was revving the engine while my clutch has not started to engage. But I tried to shift on several occasions without revving the engine and simply letting go of the clutch pedal slowly, and I still get that same vibration. It's not pronounced, but it's noticeable...and I'm concerned because I didn't get this vibration before.

2) this morning I started up the car and put the gear in Reverse, but the gear didn't seem to go all the way in Reverse, so I tried shifting it back to Neutral and then back to Reverse, but no can do. So I thought well, it's probably just me, maybe the gear is already in Reverse, so I proceeded to slowly letting the clutch out and rev the engine to 1,500 rpm and I hear this (not grinding) metallic sound, the car didn't shake, at this point my clutch has not yet fully engaged, probably half way and I was only reving at roughly 1,500 rpm, so when I heard the noise, I disengaged the clutch and brake, and shifted back to neutral and then tried to shift in to reverse again, and this time it worked, the gear went in to Reverse and everything went well after that.
What do you think happened? Did I mess up anything in the tranny? Did I cause any damage? Wore anything out?

Thanks for all your help! This forum is DaBomB!

in His love,
HS

grooveline
09-27-2002, 02:24 PM
do yourself a favor.... take it in. NOW!

esmith13
09-27-2002, 03:01 PM
I would take it in for the vibration.... but on the reverse topic I bet when you parked and turned off the car, you were in neutral.

The reason I say this is it is the only way the gears may have not been lined up to mesh right. If you stayed in gear and depressed the clutch, pulled up the Parking Brake, and shut off the car -- the gears in the tranny would still be lined up. There have been times I rolled to a stop in neutral...parked in neutral, and come back later and could not get fully into reverse (or 1st for that matter) at a complete stop because the gears were not lined up right. I'm parked on a hill, so I just started in neutral, got off the break and rolled and inch or two and then shifted into gear. Motion at the wheels is necessary for the synchros to do there job right and line everything up... then it would just "slip right in" to gear.

Next time it happens to you, if your on any kind of incline or slope, coast in netural a couple inches and then shift into gear so the gears have a chance to line up and mesh right...

At least, that's my opinion of your problem...

02blksi
09-27-2002, 03:14 PM
reverse lockout in honda trannies are very extreme. NEXT time it gives you some problems getting into reverse try this. engage clutch,shift into first,take out of first and now try getting into reverse, usually that works just fine. --

as far as the vibration coming from the clutch, could be clutch chatter (ie clutch slips then grabs) which points to a blown/overheated/damaged clutch. most likely the clutch disc has glazed over due to miss use/heat, or the flywheel may need to be resurfaced (doubtful) due to the same reasons. either way its a warranty issue. but im not really certain what you are reffering to when you say vibrations? --good luck --joe

SpeedRacer
09-27-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by esmith13

Next time it happens to you, if your on any kind of incline or slope, coast in netural a couple inches and then shift into gear so the gears have a chance to line up and mesh right...

this is what i do.

SiCivic2k2
09-28-2002, 12:57 AM
Typical Honda problem. Like the other guys have said, try shifting it into 1st or 3rd (not 5th because it has a safety feature that prevents you from going straight from 5th to reverse).