PDA

View Full Version : Strut tower bar questions

Gearhead Geek
02-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Ok, well, I'm looking to get some strut tower bars for my EP. Here are my questions for anyone who may have answers:

1) As of the time of this posting, what frontal bars are available that bolt to the firewall, where are they available, and what's the average price. Also, what kind of modification is nessecary to install them, and how durable are they (what type of material are they made of, are they solid/hollow, etc.)?

2) For rear strut tower bars:
A) What bars on the market mount to the top of the shock towers, and which ones mount behind the rear seat (I believe the proper term is to the C-pillars, but please correct me if I'm wrong). As for the ones that mount to the C-pillars, how much modification (if any) is required to install them (besides having to cut openings in the covering plastic).
B) As with the frontal bars, what is the durability of the various bars.
C) Is there any real advantage to having a bar connecting the C-pillars, and the top of the shock towers, or would just a bar on the C-pillars and a rear lower tie bar provide the same/more of an effect?
D) To anyone who has a sound system in their car, and possibly has mounted their amp on the back of one of the seats, are there any bars that perhaps bow out a bit by design, or will I pretty much be stuck moving my amp?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Gearhead Geek
02-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Also gonna add in one last quick question, relating to sway bars. To anyone who has the Neuspeed rear sway-bar, are there any issues with aftermarket exhausts hitting the bar at all?

Thanks again

Peking
02-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Gearhead Geek
A) What bars on the market mount to the top of the shock towers, and which ones mount behind the rear seat (I believe the proper term is to the C-pillars, but please correct me if I'm wrong). As for the ones that mount to the C-pillars, how much modification (if any) is required to install them (besides having to cut openings in the covering plastic).
B) As with the frontal bars, what is the durability of the various bars.
C) Is there any real advantage to having a bar connecting the C-pillars, and the top of the shock towers, or would just a bar on the C-pillars and a rear lower tie bar provide the same/more of an effect?
D) To anyone who has a sound system in their car, and possibly has mounted their amp on the back of one of the seats, are there any bars that perhaps bow out a bit by design, or will I pretty much be stuck moving my amp?

I know of no bar that connects into the fire wall as of now. Not sure, a search would help to answer A). Durability has not been an issue since we have only had our cars for a few years. I wouldn't worry, cause I would just get a new one. Can't help you with C), these questions so far are not easy to answer, since they will pretty much do the same. Except for the ones that connect to the firewall, hence it is against the rules in SCCA. It is possible to mount the amp on the back of the rear seats. Or under the seats, anyone with some skill and know how can do that for you. Sorry I couldn't be anymore help. But no one has answered you yet, so I thought to atleast say something :)

Gearhead Geek
02-08-2004, 01:14 AM
Well, I've done a lot of searching and I still can't seem to find an answer to my first question (mounting positions of the different brands of rear strut tower bars, specificly the dc sports titanium). If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

S2KplusSI
02-08-2004, 01:24 AM
Never had a front strut tower bar on my EP, but I did have a rear one. It was the kind that mounted behind the seat on the strut towers. I just took off the plastic things as I wanted to be able to return my car to stock. It was only $12 off of eBay and was by far the best mod I got. It made a HUGE improvement in my cornering.

Gearhead Geek
02-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Ok, well, I *still* can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Perhaps I phrased my question poorly, so, I'll rephrase:
Does the DC Sports Titanium rear bar mount on the C-Pillars or to the tops of the shock mounts?
I know *someone* out there has to have one, so please help me out here. Thanks.

SiRman
02-09-2004, 01:52 PM
A c-pillar bar is different then a rear strut bar.
A c-pillar bar mounts to the c-pillars as shown bellow.
Yes I know the pics aren't a EP:

http://www.aj-racing.com/alex/chassis/Alex-CPillar-DC5-DSCN3967.jpg

http://www.aj-racing.com/alex/chassis/Alex-CPillar-EG-DSCN5013.jpg

Gearhead Geek
02-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Yes, I am aware of that, however, I also know that certain companies can sometimes misname their products, which is the only reason I ask. I just don't wanna end up investing the $250 for a rear strut bar and end up getting a C-Pillar brace.

Civicvtec1ps
02-09-2004, 02:40 PM
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28727
Cusco rear upper strut bar,
Pictures might be down. Imagestation is messed up right now.
Just right click, copy and paste on to the broweser.