PDA

View Full Version : Did you get a CEL after you installed your intake?

t-rex
02-05-2004, 11:04 PM
I recently purchased an Injen short ram intake, and two days ago got it installed! I love it, but today the CEL came on. After I installed it, I made sure to disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes. And I've also checked to make sure the gas cap is tight. Did anyone else run into this? Can you give me a clue what to check for here? Thanks a lot!

cHiNoYbOi14
02-05-2004, 11:06 PM
I have a cai and never disconnected the battery like the instructions said to and never got a cel after it got installed.
Edit: sorry my post didn't help...

dofu
02-05-2004, 11:06 PM
make sure nothings leaking and also make sure the grommet (the rubber piece) for the sensor isnt gettin old and worn

fishboy
02-05-2004, 11:13 PM
make sure everything is on tight and the sensor is in. you shouldn't be having this problem if the install went right.

SiR_d1
02-05-2004, 11:14 PM
mine wasn't on all time but there was a dely b4 it would turn off (lasted about 3-4 secs longer) but eventually it went back to normal

ep3hatchattack
02-05-2004, 11:15 PM
Yeah, i think this may have been covered but fuck it ;) Find the ECU reset thread, I think you turn the car off, hold down the milage reset for 10 secs, then turn it one twist to the next step and it will go away..... Then drive like a mad man if you reset the ECU so it gets used to it, it makes the car used to being fast so ive heard....... ps: The clip is ready to go as soon as the box arrives....... take care, dave

t-rex
02-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Thanks Dave. I think the thread you're talking about is for resetting the "Maintenance Required" light, isn't it?

Hey dofu and fishboy, if the sensor isn't pushed as tight as it could be, would it cause this?

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow, so you all can take a look.

Any other suggestions for now?

Hatch02SI
02-05-2004, 11:44 PM
You might wanna check other things too... It may not be just the intake you know... It may sound crazy and all but other things do go wrong... Maybe go up to honda and have em check it out to tell you what code the cel is giving off. Just my 2 cents on this thread.

dofu
02-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by t-rex
Thanks Dave. I think the thread you're talking about is for resetting the "Needs Service" light, isn't it?

Hey dofu and fishboy, if the sensor just barely loose, would this happen? This could be it...

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow, so you all can take a look.

Any other suggestions for now?

if your sensor is loose, change the grommet (the rubber piece holding your sensor while closing gap so there isnt leak). you can find those at any auto parts place. find one that fits really tight (but not too tight) and you should be fine. my sensor doesnt move. if you still have CEL, then i dont kno what to tell ya

t-rex
02-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by dofu
if your sensor is loose, change the grommet (the rubber piece holding your sensor while closing gap so there isnt leak). you can find those at any auto parts place. find one that fits really tight (but not too tight) and you should be fine. my sensor doesnt move. if you still have CEL, then i dont kno what to tell ya

The grommet is nice and tight, but I think the problem could be either: the sensor isn't in tight enough, or the plug isn't attached tightly enough to the sensor. When I pulled the sensor out of the factory airbox, I used plyers and broke the clip on the side :(

STP03BlueSI
02-06-2004, 02:43 PM
I havnt had the CEL light come on. And the sensor is loose but sits in there.:)

03EP3SiHB
02-06-2004, 02:46 PM
I installed my V2 w/o disconnecting the battery and the CEL did not come on. Make sure all the hoses are on the intake properly, if a hose is missing or the sensor is not all the way connected it could give you the CEL. Anyways hope that this helps you uot a little.

excivic98
02-06-2004, 03:16 PM
When I put my intake on I did what you did and used some pliers and screwed it up, the cel light came on. The sensor looked ok, but I went ahead and replaced it and no more cel. I think it cost like $30 from honda.

t-rex
02-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Here's some pics:

http://home.comcast.net/~todd73/IMG_0357.jpg

t-rex
02-06-2004, 04:14 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~todd73/IMG_0358.jpg

t-rex
02-06-2004, 06:43 PM
OK, I went and bought a hose clamp to go around that small hose, then disconnected/reconnected the battery again to reset the ECU. The CEL is off now, and I've put about 40 miles on the car.

Does anyone know if that's enough for the ECU to get a reading, or do I need to drive it some more to get a proper reading?

cogpdaddy
02-06-2004, 07:28 PM
hey i just installed a short ram intake the same thing happened you have to let the car get to normal operating temperatures for two driving cycles basically let the car get warm drive it turn it off let it get warm again drive it turn it off next time it gets to normal temps it will turn off sorry post was so long.

t-rex
02-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by cogpdaddy
hey i just installed a short ram intake the same thing happened you have to let the car get to normal operating temperatures for two driving cycles basically let the car get warm drive it turn it off let it get warm again drive it turn it off next time it gets to normal temps it will turn off sorry post was so long.

When you say two driving cycles, how long do you let the engine cool off in between?

t-rex
02-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Here's an update:

No light for two days of driving, but then it came on again yesterday and stayed on during driving again today.

After looking at the sensor again, I figured it could be a tad tighter, so I turned/pushed as far as possible and it went in, maybe another millimeter or two. I guess it did the trick because the CEL went off shortly after starting the car!

I just hope it stays off :D

Thanks for all the help!

bao_pay
02-08-2004, 07:30 PM
a friend installed my v2 for me two weeks ago and the CEL came on. Did the driving for two cycles thing and it still didn't work. I couldn't fingure for the life of me what was going on. Couldn't sleep all night and all I could figure was the problem was that there was a problem with the O2 sensor. I check the harness for the O2 sensor and what had happened was one of the pin in the O@ sensor was bent so that it was contacting the inside of the harness. Tried to bend it back and the mofo broke off! So anyways, after getting another O2 sensor installed on the car and resetting the ecu, the CEL went off and have not had a problem with it since. Good luck!

t-rex
02-09-2004, 12:19 PM
bao_pay, if you're taking about the sensor on the intake, that's not an O2 sensor. The O2 sensor is on the exhaust manifold.

StoopSi (who works for a Honda dealership) emailed this to me, so I'm posting it here, in case anyone else runs into this problem:

I ran your intake problem by my techs and it sounds like what you've done so far should take care of the CEL. They suggested removing the 15 amp ECU fuse in the engine fuse box compartment for at least 10 seconds to reset the stored code, and then starting the car up. The light should be off and stay off. If it comes back on, it may be a bad sensor or just improperly connected.

I forgot to say in my post yesterday that I also pulled all the small fuses in the engine compartment. And that was before I got this email. If the light does come on again, I'll post here and let you guys know the progress.

t-rex
02-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Ugh! Light's on again :( I'm at a loss. I was going to take it into Honda, but they said they'd have to charge for diagnostics if they determine the intake caused it. Any other suggestions, without me puting the factory air box back on? I'd like to avoid that PITA if possible. Thanks, guys.

bao_pay
02-20-2004, 06:53 PM
You're right its not a o2 sensor if you wanna get technical its an IAT sensor and it measures the amount of incoming air flow. Good luck with the CEL