PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Help

savesteve
02-07-2004, 12:22 PM
OK guys, I've got a couple of questions:

#1. What are all the peices of exhaust from the headers back?
(I know headers-cat-exhaust, is there some other pipe I will need? B-pipe?) (Be gentle this is my first car worth owning :) ).

#2. How can I avoid a CEL when I replace the cat? (I.E. Should I go with a high-flow cat over a test pipe?)

Basicly I'd like to replace the exhaust and still have the car work like it does from the factory.

As always Thanks guys and excuse my noob like question.

Peking
02-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by savesteve
#1. What are all the peices of exhaust from the headers back?
(I know headers-cat-exhaust, is there some other pipe I will need? B-pipe?) (Be gentle this is my first car worth owning :) ).
#2. How can I avoid a CEL when I replace the cat? (I.E. Should I go with a high-flow cat over a test pipe?)
Basicly I'd like to replace the exhaust and still have the car work like it does from the factory.

1) It goes header, down-pipe, cat, mid-pipe, then muffler.
2) Depends, if you go with the test pipe. You will need a o2 sim, so far nothing seems to be working consistently. Or up-grade to a high flow cat. Use the stock sensors, haven't heard any negatives from that. Then again how far do you want to go? Either way, if you are not running a large amount of boost. Then keep the stock cat.

Your last sentence seems alittle silly. For the fact that when you replace any part of it. It will change. Please do a search, and/or just look around. The car will change with mods, sometimes good, and sometimes bad. Depending on what you do, so please do plenty of research. Alot has to do with common sense.

savesteve
02-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Peking
1) It goes header, down-pipe, cat, mid-pipe, then muffler.
2) Depends, if you go with the test pipe. You will need a o2 sim, so far nothing seems to be working consistently. Or up-grade to a high flow cat. Use the stock sensors, haven't heard any negatives from that. Then again how far do you want to go? Either way, if you are not running a large amount of boost. Then keep the stock cat.

Your last sentence seems alittle silly. For the fact that when you replace any part of it. It will change. Please do a search, and/or just look around. The car will change with mods, sometimes good, and sometimes bad. Depending on what you do, so please do plenty of research. Alot has to do with common sense.

Thanks, Peking. I wasn't really planning on boost.(Maybe the JRSC after a while) so I'm thinking I'll just keep the stock cat. My question would be do I need to replace the other middle peices (downpipe/cat) to fully realize the gains from the headers / exhaust. Or does the stock cat flow well enough in a N/A setup?(I'm leaning towards the greddy cat-back system and a DC 4-1 header)

Thanks again.

Peking
02-07-2004, 08:21 PM
Thanks, Peking. I wasn't really planning on boost.(Maybe the JRSC after a while) so I'm thinking I'll just keep the stock cat. My question would be do I need to replace the other middle peices (downpipe/cat) to fully realize the gains from the headers / exhaust. Or does the stock cat flow well enough in a N/A setup?(I'm leaning towards the greddy cat-back system and a DC 4-1 header)

Thanks again.

You can, it will help increase the flow. I am not sure if anyone makes us a down pipe. If you do that then go ahead with the high flow cat. By then there will be more info on this. You will be happy with the Greddy Evo, and I believe you mean the DC Sports 4-2-1 header maybe?

dofu
02-07-2004, 09:44 PM
if you jus replace the header, hi flow cat, and cat-back exhaust, you've already replaced all of your exhaust piping. if you have a muffler, then you'd need the mid pipe to connect it.
but i'd suggest you opening up the intake coz the exhaust only flows what you pull in. and if you can spend a bit more money to have better flow, extrude hone the intake manifold and head too.
if you want close to stock feel after changing out the entire exhaust, i suggest the dc header coz it keeps more lower end torque as compared to all other systems by having a closer to stock sized collector than other systems... in fact, i think it is about stock size, dont remember. but do a search to find out which is a more preferred system for whatever part you wanna get.
i prefer no cat, but too big of an exhaust isnt good for n/a either... unless your engine's that bad-ass for it... coz you do want some back pressure for street driving. turbo aps can go big piping coz they dont want back pressure turnin their turbos backwards as opposed to ours. and some exhaust systems offer "silencers" which while at the same time helps quiet the muffler even more, also increases back pressure.
btw... im not talkin bout porting when i talk about extrude honing, but that obviously helps too

savesteve
02-08-2004, 02:35 AM

Thanks again.

I get mixed readings it the DC 4-1 or 4-2-1? I think they acutaly make both?

http://www.dcsports.com/kseries.html

It really looks like a 4-1 but they could say a 4-2-1 cause it looks like it ends in 2 chambers still?

Also guys I think my statment about the "function like stock" was taken the wrong way. What I'm saying is I want the danm thing to start / no cel. As far as preformance / noise / power I am totaly flexible, the car just need to preform consistantly since it's my daily ride to work :).

Thanks for all your good input.

dofu
02-08-2004, 04:55 AM
I get mixed readings it the DC 4-1 or 4-2-1? I think they acutaly make both?

http://www.dcsports.com/kseries.html

It really looks like a 4-1 but they could say a 4-2-1 cause it looks like it ends in 2 chambers still?

Also guys I think my statment about the "function like stock" was taken the wrong way. What I'm saying is I want the danm thing to start / no cel. As far as preformance / noise / power I am totaly flexible, the car just need to preform consistantly since it's my daily ride to work :).

Thanks for all your good input.

if you go with dc... get the 4-2-1 ceramic... the polished will crack if it gets too hot, and its 4-2-1 because it goes from 4 pipes to 2 to one at the end, unlike the others that are either 4 to 2 then you need downpipe, or 4 into jus 1... look around and you'll see what im talkin about... but im pretty sure that all the direct fit systems out there are all 4-2-1. if you wanna eliminate the cat, you can go with the comptech race header, and jus get a o2 sim so you dont get CEL lighting up.
sound as you must already kno is all in the exhaust, so you'll jus have to look around to find the sound you want, tanabe sounds like f1, hks is deep, etc... and jus so you do kno... the bigger the exhaust, the less low end you'll have, but you will have a better top end to make up for it. if you want your mods to make the most power that it can, you'll have to tune it... hondata, burn a chip, whichever...
the extrude hone i mentioned above is only if you have that money to burn coz it aint that big of a deal on a street car/ daily driver, but you should be able to feel a difference. i only bring it up coz thats something i've wanted to do with this car, but jus dont wanna spend any money on the block/ head/ tranny until i get a swap

Peking
02-08-2004, 11:07 AM
I have never heard of polish creacking, however I do know they tarnish. Some people thinks it looks cool. I don't, ceramic all the way.