PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrades...need feedback.

GEMINI
02-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Since I'm not looking to go 5 lug I don't want to upgrade to type-s brakes, I just need to get some feedback on what upgrades you guys have done, I'm looking to change the calipers (all 4) so what's a good upgrade? Don't really need a big brake kit.

02civicSI
02-07-2004, 02:18 PM
go on ebay and get brembo rotors, some good brake pads, new brake lines and you are set. you can keep your calipers (those are what cost the most). all that for about $400! :)

S2KplusSI
02-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Pads alone help out quite a bit. Match that with slotted rotors, and Stainless Steel lines, and you'll have a good brake system.

Eee Pee
02-07-2004, 04:09 PM
If you can stand the dust, Cobalt makes excellent products.

Fancy rotors don't do enough to justify their increased cost (if there is one).

Upgrade the pads, and use some cheap rotors. They are a wear item anyways.

The difference is great.

www.Cobaltfriction.com

Lucid Moments
02-07-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm going with slotted and cadmium plated rotors, stainless steel lines, and axxis ultimate pads myself. One of these days if all the parts ever get here (I got everything but the rotors which fed ex lost)I will let you guys know how they work.

Vertigo
02-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by 02civicSI
go on ebay and get brembo rotors, some good brake pads, new brake lines and you are set. you can keep your calipers (those are what cost the most). all that for about $400! :)
I vote for this way. Better proformance without breaking the bank.

goy091
02-07-2004, 05:30 PM
http://www.fastbrakes.com

fast brakes makes a wide selection of kits for brake upgrades.

oh yea you might just want to try a new set of brake pads to start out with. Hawk HPS pads are a good set of sport pads. I have some HP+'s but theyre not for street use. As for rotors, not really worth it. autozone blanks and such would be just fine.

johnnydanger
02-07-2004, 05:44 PM
i was going to swap out to aftermarket pads and stainless steel lines, but i traded my alpine dvd player for a set of new wilwood brakes and stainless steel brake lines... :D so essentially it was a CHEAP CHEAP UPGRADE... i am so happy with the upgrade too. :D
doing a brake upgrade is a great choice, so whatever you do, good luck....

glw
02-07-2004, 11:51 PM
i'm very happy with my cad plated and slotted brembo rotors, axxis ultimate pads, ate super blue fluuid, and goodridge steel braided lines.

the axxis ultimates are pretty dusty though... so i'm always washing the ce28n's.

chunky
02-08-2004, 12:05 AM
i've tried several different types of pads, and have driven in a LOT of different conditions/situations. I drive fast, I drive agressively, and a pad upgrade in conjunction with brake fluid upgrade is the first step I feel that anyone should take.

if I can make repeated 120mph-60mph stops with no brake fade with stock calipers, stock rotor size, then you'll have a hard time justifying to me why you need a big brake setup unless you are doing some serious track time.

pads and fluid, then upgrade if it's still not good enough.

right now my favorite streetable pad is the porterfield r4s. the r4 is also streetable, but is technically a full race compound. my favorite pads period are the PFC 01 compound custom pads I had. unbelieveable stopping power.

GEMINI
02-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Thanx for the info everyone.:D

!@#$%
02-08-2004, 07:48 PM
if i got a brake kit, it would be 50/50 looks and increased clamping force. I'd have to have 4 piston.