PDA

View Full Version : Changed my tranny fluid

02SilverSiHB
02-07-2004, 06:41 PM
I know some of you know it's easy, some may not, I snapped a couple pics. It's just like changing oil. I actually noticed a difference in my shifting. Felt smoother. Anyway, I used honda tranny fluid and bought two crush washers for each bolt...from honda also.

Here's the oil coming out
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjY2MzIxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
It's easy, just take bolt A out first, drain the oil like you would the engine oil. Then put that bolt back in with the new crush washer. Then take out bolt B. I used some hose to feed into the hole then fed the oil into the hose to the tranny. It takes about 1.5 quarts of honda oil. Just keep adding until it spills out of where bolt B was. Make sure the car is level of course so it will be even when it stops draining back out. Then just put that bolt back in with the new crush washer (this one is bigger than the other bolt)
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjY2MzIyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

02civicSI
02-07-2004, 10:03 PM
thanks for posting pics!! do you have to drain the oil at the same time you drain the tranny fluid?

02SilverSiHB
02-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by 02civicSI
thanks for posting pics!! do you have to drain the oil at the same time you drain the tranny fluid?
? the tranny oil is the oil. Or were you thinking I was saying the engine oil?

02civicSI
02-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
? the tranny oil is the oil. Or were you thinking I was saying the engine oil?

i thought you meant engine oil :( my bad. this will be the first time i change the tranny oil by myself just like the first time removing the badges, changing brake pads, installing exhaust, installing intake :)

02SilverSiHB
02-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by 02civicSI
i thought you meant engine oil :( my bad. this will be the first time i change the tranny oil by myself just like the first time removing the badges, changing brake pads, installing exhaust, installing intake :)
LOL, no prob. It's easy to do this. The only hard part is finding a way to get the oil in the tranny again. I think some people remove the rim and put it in from the side. I just fed a hose down from the top of the engine to the hole and put the oil in that way

chunky
02-07-2004, 10:53 PM
the only tip I have to add is to make sure you loosen the fill bolt (bolt b) first. It really SUCKS to drain all the oil, and then realize you can't get the fill bolt off. If you've never changed it, chances are, the bolt is stuck pretty well and you'll need a long breaker bar to get it off.

oh, and I swear by mobil 1 75-w90 gear lube. 69k+ miles and shifts like butter.

02SilverSiHB
02-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by chunky
the only tip I have to add is to make sure you loosen the fill bolt (bolt b) first. It really SUCKS to drain all the oil, and then realize you can't get the fill bolt off. If you've never changed it, chances are, the bolt is stuck pretty well and you'll need a long breaker bar to get it off.

oh, and I swear by mobil 1 75-w90 gear lube. 69k+ miles and shifts like butter.
wow, it came off so easy for me, maybe since it's pretty new, but definitely a good tip, that would have sucked! :eek:

chunky
02-08-2004, 10:45 PM
oh, and the other thing i'll add is to do it while the tranny is hot. it will carry out more of the debris that way.

SilVic
02-08-2004, 10:58 PM
how do you get the tranny fluid hot?

the JigGa mAn
02-08-2004, 11:56 PM
driving?

todaCspec
02-09-2004, 07:23 AM
How many miles should you change tranny fluid? Manual says 60,000 miles regular, 30,000 miles severe conditions.

02SilverSiHB
02-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by todaCspec
How many miles should you change tranny fluid? Manual says 60,000 miles regular, 30,000 miles severe conditions.
I changed mine at 30,000 miles. I'm am severe to my tranny

And I got it hot by driving it :D

Mugen Power
02-09-2004, 09:26 PM
The pics aren't showing... maybe WTDR is down again?

02SilverSiHB
02-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Mugen Power
The pics aren't showing... maybe WTDR is down again?
they showing for me...how about now?

Btrthnezr3
02-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Good write-up man!
I was worried a few weeks back about my tranny being notchy and crunchy like everyone is complaining about...though I had not yet experienced the gear grinding...I took a few concious steps towards driving better/shifting better and differently and made a world of difference. Still, I'm sure the new tranny fluid might help a bit! I plan on doing this when I get some mileage...which won't take long since I am a major commuter :(

Mugen Power
02-10-2004, 03:56 PM
OK, I've got another question. Which one of those holes do I put my Spoon drain plug in?

02SilverSiHB
02-10-2004, 04:55 PM
OK, I've got another question. Which one of those holes do I put my Spoon drain plug in?
spoon drain plug? is this the drain plug for the oil pan or the transmission?

If it's for the transmission, put it in the bottom one, A, but I never knew spoon had one for the tranny, I thought that was for the engine oil pan

Mugen Power
02-10-2004, 05:27 PM
They come in a set, one for the tranny and one for the motor oil. They also come with washers, too. :)

02SilverSiHB
02-10-2004, 05:31 PM
They come in a set, one for the tranny and one for the motor oil. They also come with washers, too. :)
sweet! I had no idea. So I guess they have that magnetic end on them?

Mugen Power
02-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Yup, they both have magnetic ends on them. The tip on the oil bolt is longer than the one for the tranny.

ConeCrazy02
02-14-2004, 10:49 AM
I would also like to add that those trans fluids will eat through rubber(they oxidize). If you're doing this, cover your axle boot, tie rod boot and anything rubber with a plastic bag.

The shifting will definitely feel better, but just make sure you top off the fluid when the car is leveled.

!@#$%
02-15-2004, 12:04 AM
I am at 27K miles now and should probably look into doing this. I've had the spoon mag plug for the oil since 1500 miles. I still need to use the tranny one. Thanks for the write up.

5 stars on this one!

f4hondaphile
02-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Here's a question for you guys with the magnetic drain plugs....do you ever find metallic flakes stuck to them? And if so, how much, how big, etc?

Mugen Power
02-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Hmm, well I still don't have my tranny one in yet.

The funny thing is that since I've put the oil one in, I haven't changed the oil myself! The reason is that I brought the car in for 10k maintenance and the oil was changed. I then got it changed about 5k later at a dealer because it was too cold to change the oil outside. I should be changing it myself the next time so I'll tell you in about 3k miles. :D

!@#$%
02-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Hmm, well I still don't have my tranny one in yet.

The funny thing is that since I've put the oil one in, I haven't changed the oil myself! The reason is that I brought the car in for 10k maintenance and the oil was changed. I then got it changed about 5k later at a dealer because it was too cold to change the oil outside. I should be changing it myself the next time so I'll tell you in about 3k miles. :D

i took pictures but for some reason the pc doesnt want to retrieve them. I'll fix it soon. Plenty of shavings and crap. well worth the 40 bucks.

FCobra94
02-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Don't they sell magnetic drain plugs at Pep Boys for like $6? :confusem:

Soichiro-Honda
02-18-2004, 01:55 AM
I know this is kind of late but here is the pic of the Spoon magnetic Studs.
http://www.spoon-sports.com/Brochure/engine/DrainBolt.jpg

!@#$%
02-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by FCobra94

then go to pep boys and buy a set. that's your preference.

STP03BlueSI
02-18-2004, 12:16 PM

APC?:D lmao...sorry

jandetuning
02-18-2004, 06:45 PM

Maybe, but they need to be a specific length to avoid interference with internal components. I have more respect for my car than that anyway.

My Spoon trans plug removed for a fluid change:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/p1b8ccff1efef8b95a506c2fba2bf7729/f9bb5946.jpg

FCobra94
02-18-2004, 07:52 PM
:eek: I might need to get some soon too! I never would have thought that much junk was swimming around my transmission! Yikes!

I don't know...I just figured that if stock was fine, and upgrading to something better than stock (even if it was from Pep Boys) would be even better. Figured one magnet should be the same as any other.

Might have to go see what they actually sell to compare w/ the "real deal" Spoon ones....

Beachya
03-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Thanx for the how-to, changed mine out today. I used a funnel with a wire mesh screen for the old fluid. Had some shavings come out, not too bad. But, there's a difference in shifting, a lot smoother.

Thanx again,

David

FCobra94
03-06-2004, 06:05 PM
What kinda fluid you use man? Just curious...

Thanks!

02SilverSiHB
03-06-2004, 06:09 PM
What kinda fluid you use man? Just curious...

Thanks!
honda tranny fluid

siver-SI
05-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Ok to bring this back from the dead. Just wondering how are the spoon plugs better then the OEM ones?

I am thinking of changing out my fluid but I still do not know what kind of trans fluid I am going to use yet.

Mugen Power
05-20-2004, 06:07 PM
The Spoon ones are magnetized.