PDA

View Full Version : bad tranny = regrets buying EP???

djaaronk
02-08-2004, 12:06 PM
I've got my heart set on an '04 Tafetta White Si. I've been shopping and saving and I'm just about ready to buy. I have read A LOT of posts where people are talking about how bad the EP's transmission is. Does anyone actually regret buying thier EP because of this or other problems??? I really want one but I don't want to end up with a bad tranny. Has Honda made any unofficial changes to the '04 tranny without announcing that they've been made? Thanks for any input...just trying to make a wise decision for my next car.

skooba
02-08-2004, 12:13 PM
thats a good question.....

i wouldn't really say i regret buying the car because of it, but it has become quite a hassle. It just doesnt feel smooth like it did the day i bought it. I can deal with it, and I will try to talk to the dealer in the next week or so about it, otherwise i'll just end up doing a swap down the road.

so basically, no I don't regret buying the car because of the bad tranny, it only gets "bad" on occasion, normally it just feels like it is being engaged with too much force.

ConeCrazy02
02-08-2004, 12:17 PM
I use to think it was the transmission that was causing all the problems with shifting, but after I became more "experience" with the car the shifting became normal.

Changing the shifter bushings and transmission oil helps too.

No regret...

Civicvtec1ps
02-08-2004, 12:23 PM
No problems.
No regrets at all. I am sure you will be happy with your car.
Enjoy,

Mugen Power
02-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by vbp si 03
thats a good question.....

i wouldn't really say i regret buying the car because of it, but it has become quite a hassle. It just doesnt feel smooth like it did the day i bought it. I can deal with it, and I will try to talk to the dealer in the next week or so about it, otherwise i'll just end up doing a swap down the road.

Don't forget that some RSX owners have notchy trannies, too...

SilVic
02-08-2004, 12:24 PM
is just the syncros that are the problem with the tranny? thanks.

jaydub
02-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Any car is going to have problems.

30k miles here, no tranny issues whatsoever.

DavidT
02-08-2004, 12:27 PM
I guess I'm one of those fortunant enough not to have the tranny problem. I have an 02 model and I have no regrets of buying my EP3. It has treated me very well so far and seems and drives like it's going to treat me that way for the rest of it's life :D

You should just go drive a couple and feel the difference between the various transmissions and see which one shifts better, get that one. I'm sure when they're new they probably all shift the same though :p

chibianh
02-08-2004, 12:33 PM
no problems here... and no regrets whatsoever!

siver-SI
02-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Even though I am noting my trans to much on some days I do nto regret getting it at all. I wanted a car that I was going to have fun with and this is it. I got on this site thinking of just doing some tweeks to my car and now I have a plan set up for me to get a turbo for it in around 3-4 years. I am working on paying down my bills to all most nothing and then have some real fun with my EP.

Siman
02-08-2004, 01:14 PM
I kind of do. I really want to drift...........

but I love the handaling of the car! very nimble! I just need more HP to satisfy me:D

I had my tranny replaced 3 times due to the mechanic not putting the bearing on the main shaft on properly:rolleyes:

03SiBlack
02-08-2004, 01:35 PM
yea i have regrets honda is suppose to be reliable and last long i shouldnt need to replace my tranny at 800 miles on the odometer

SIxtasy
02-08-2004, 02:33 PM
To tell you the truth man, I think the gear grind has Alot to do with how you drive it. I noticed some 2nd Gear grind around 5K on my 2002. It pissed me off at first but then I adapted to it. Now I'm at 27,000 and I never have it at all. When I say adapted to it - I mean then I don't SLAM 2nd like I used to. This in my opinion is why SI/RSX owners have these tranny problems - they assume that they are doing nothing wrong, and just keep slamming gears like crazy. Then they piss and moan that the tranny is shit. Our 1st and 2nd gear's are short as hell, so quick shifts at high RPM's can cause these things. Honda has admitted to the 2nd gear syncro being manufactured incorrectly, so they will replace them if needed. NOT ALL TRANNY PROBLEMS ARE DRIVER RELATED, JUST A BUNCH OF THEM. In my opinion.

Get the SI, have fun with it. I took a chance with this over the RSX. I haven't looked back since I got home that night.:eek: :eek: :eek:

- Jeffrey

audomatik
02-08-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by SIxtasy
To tell you the truth man, I think the gear grind has Alot to do with how you drive it. I noticed some 2nd Gear grind around 5K on my 2002. It pissed me off at first but then I adapted to it. Now I'm at 27,000 and I never have it at all. When I say adapted to it - I mean then I don't SLAM 2nd like I used to. This in my opinion is why SI/RSX owners have these tranny problems - they assume that they are doing nothing wrong, and just keep slamming gears like crazy. Then they piss and moan that the tranny is shit. Our 1st and 2nd gear's are short as hell, so quick shifts at high RPM's can cause these things. Honda has admitted to the 2nd gear syncro being manufactured incorrectly, so they will replace them if needed. NOT ALL TRANNY PROBLEMS ARE DRIVER RELATED, JUST A BUNCH OF THEM. In my opinion.

Get the SI, have fun with it. I took a chance with this over the RSX. I haven't looked back since I got home that night.:eek: :eek: :eek:

- Jeffrey

AMEN! I had the same problem shifting above 5 grand. The tech drove it and had no problems. I was like WTF? mate. He said I had some play in the clutch, so he adjusted it and no problems since. That was a good 7000 miles ago. I'm reading 11000 on the odo and absolutely zero problems. Yay for smart Honda Techs...

Peking
02-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by 03SiBlack
yea i have regrets honda is suppose to be reliable and last long i shouldnt need to replace my tranny at 800 miles on the odometer

Man you guys need to stop with this stuff. You guys are spoiled. And some of you need to learn how to drive.

03SiBlack
02-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Peking
Man you guys need to stop with this stuff. You guys are spoiled. And some of you need to learn how to drive.
how can u say i dont know how to drive if you dont even know me? How is it being spoiled when all i ask is that i should not have these kinds of problems with a brand new car. Is that being spoiled?

Peking
02-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by 03SiBlack
how can u say i dont know how to drive if you dont even know me? How is it being spoiled when all i ask is that i should not have these kinds of problems with a brand new car. Is that being spoiled?

I don't know you, and I said some of you. You must think quite highly of yourself to think I was pointing you out. Now quit your bitching. This sh*t is starting to make me sick.

bao_pay
02-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Peking
I don't know you, and I said some of you. You must think quite highly of yourself to think I was pointing you out. Now quit your bitching. This sh*t is starting to make me sick.

I think you pointed him out, afterall you quoted him? :p

djaaronk
02-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Come on guys...this board is supposed to be somewhere where we can come to get some useful information. There's enough bullshit out there in the world we don't need to be on here giving it to eachother. Thanks to all who've replied with some helpful advice. :)

Ocelot
02-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by bao_pay

A lot of us quote those that we are simply replying to. It avoids confusion.

/me POINTS to bao_pay! :D

Peking
02-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by bao_pay

I was using his post as an example. I don't know him, and I think threads like this are ignorant. It is a car, there are many cars. They are not perfect. You paid less than 20,000 dollars hopefully, what do you expect. Considering my car is pretty good considering what else I have driven.

dofu
02-09-2004, 01:10 AM
no... jus makes me regret not gettin the engine/tranny swap when i had the moneys

denmah
02-09-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
Any car is going to have problems.

30k miles here, no tranny issues whatsoever.

STP03BlueSI
02-09-2004, 07:03 AM
I have no regrets. I have tranny issues..but i love my ep:D

EP33
02-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Only problem I have is that my EP is slower than my other Honda (CBR954RR):m:

edit: 40000 pretty hard miles :)

djaaronk
02-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Right now I drive an '01 Civic Ex coupe 5sp. I literally hate the car...all but the tranny...it's great...the only thing I like about the car. It's like butter! I drive pretty "grandma-like" most of the time but once in a while you have stomp on it. I've never had any trouble with it at all. I'm just a little scared to buy something that is known for having tranny issues...and Honda should be ashamed of themselves...I think that they "hide" problems with thier cars. They make you feel like you are going crazy saying that they cannot duplicate the problem or that it's normal or some other b.s. If there really is a problem with these trannys why not just do a recall and fix it. Sure it would cost them a lot of money, but, they'd be winning a lot more customers in the long run if they did. As it is now, I see slowly one Honda customer at a time going to other reliable options such as Toyota.

TEKBRAIN
02-09-2004, 09:05 PM
60 000km (~40 000 miles) and great smooth transmission (I have the neuspeed kit).
And yes, I redline my engine, I go at the strip and I go at the track.

NBP_03Si
02-09-2004, 09:45 PM
car is great and my transmissin has no problem so far is now 15k and i step on the floor mat regularly...