PDA

View Full Version : So I go to adjust my konis...front passenger side spurts some oil out!

02SilverSiHB
02-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Yeah, not even a year have I had these. I had them set to half a turn stiff (sometimes a full turn) and decided to put it down to a 1/4 turn. Then some oil came out. I'm pissed and I know its the shock oil, I know what it looks like and feels like. Light clear brown color. I got these in May of last year just after returning from Operation Iraqi Freedom, so I know it hasn't been a year yet. I'm going to contact koni and we'll see how this goes...wonder if they will cover it. I'm not sure how this works out.

you can see to the right of the top of the strut where the oil is.
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjY2OTI3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
Then some on my finger, not a lot, but enough to scare me
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjY2OTI4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

ConeCrazy02
02-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Yikes :( ...

So are you still going to the San Antonio autox on the 15th?

02SilverSiHB
02-08-2004, 12:20 PM
probably not :( I'll show up, not run through the track

jaydub
02-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Man you've had nothing but problems with those things!

02SilverSiHB
02-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
Man you've had nothing but problems with those things!
yeah, if it wasn't for the good customer help they give me, I would have ditched these long ago. If this doesn't work out, I'm getting a mugen suspension kit.

danoonez
02-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
yeah, if it wasn't for the good customer help they give me, I would have ditched these long ago. If this doesn't work out, I'm getting a mugen suspension kit.

Get them to send you new shocks, and then sell those and get the Mugens anyway!:cool:

02SilverSiHB
02-08-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by danoonez
Get them to send you new shocks, and then sell those and get the Mugens anyway!:cool:
LOL, nah, if they send me new ones I could go with that. I wonder though it it's because these are valved more towards the coupes than the hatchbacks...hhmmmmmm

2fastcivic
02-08-2004, 01:02 PM
damn. another problem w/ the konis huh. i say ditch them now. good customer service doesnt provide safety and reliability.

jaydub
02-08-2004, 01:48 PM
I just can't justify the mugens because of two key points: No height adjustment and the price!

evilep3
02-08-2004, 02:04 PM
I just can't justify the mugens because of two key points: No height adjustment and the price! i agree, i am planning to go with some tien basics soon as i finish saving enough cash, Sux to hear about the koni's

danoonez
02-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Jay, I was checking out your site and noticed you said in your weblog

I'm having issues with my suspension on my car...I guess it isn't really a necessary fix, but I've always wanted to have a car that had a great suspension setup, and here's my chance to do it right. I always kick myself for taking the cheap way out of things, and now I see why.

What's wrong with the S Techs and what are you planning to upgrade to?

02SilverSiHB
02-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Jay, I was checking out your site and noticed you said in your weblog

What's wrong with the S Techs and what are you planning to upgrade to?
the s techs aren't made for the ep. they are made for the coupe and sedan. The spring rate is like half of what the stock ep spring rate is. Less spring rate means a boat ride

HondaMan
02-08-2004, 05:25 PM

Better yet get the Tein Basics now. ;)

02SilverSiHB
02-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan

I don't think I'd care for adjusting my ride height too much at all. Is that cheaper than the mugen setup?

HondaMan
02-08-2004, 05:31 PM
I don't think I'd care for adjusting my ride height too much at all. Is that cheaper than the mugen setup?

Yep, the Teins Basics are cheaper than the Mugens by about $200+...I just set my Teins to the ride height I wanted and left them alone (for now). I may adjust them soon during a Test & Tune...for AutoX corner weight balancing. :) A big bonus over the Mugens...not to mention the price. ;)

02SilverSiHB
02-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Yep, the Teins Basics are cheaper than the Mugens by about $200+...I just set my Teins to the ride height I wanted and left them alone (for now). I may adjust them soon during a Test & Tune...for AutoX corner weight balancing. :) A big bonus over the Mugens...not to mention the price. ;)
yeah, I guess they are cheaper. Say, where did you get yours and for how much? I think showstoppersusa has them for 825 shipped.

dtexan
02-08-2004, 05:36 PM
I think robearracing.com had them cheaper
showstoppers was $899 last time I checked

danoonez
02-08-2004, 05:59 PM
the s techs aren't made for the ep. they are made for the coupe and sedan. The spring rate is like half of what the stock ep spring rate is. Less spring rate means a boat ride

Oh yeah I knew that but I thought he was still satisfied with them. I was just wondering what he was going to be doing so as to fulfill his dream of owning a car "that has a great suspension setup."

danoonez
02-08-2004, 06:01 PM

Boo for Tein.;)

Just kidding, I want the Type Flex:cool:

jaydub
02-08-2004, 06:02 PM

perfect answer. They're way too soft, and coupled with the speaker box I have in the trunk (which isn't really that heavy) the back end sags. I'd rather buy something that's EP3 specific. I'm just saving my money for some true coilovers now.

danoonez
02-08-2004, 06:15 PM
perfect answer. They're way too soft, and coupled with the speaker box I have in the trunk (which isn't really that heavy) the back end sags. I'd rather buy something that's EP3 specific. I'm just saving my money for some true coilovers now.

I see.

(That's part of the reason I got rid of my subs, didn't want them screwing up whatever suspension setup I go with...because mine WAS heavy :D )

HondaMan
02-08-2004, 06:15 PM
yeah, I guess they are cheaper. Say, where did you get yours and for how much? I think showstoppersusa has them for 825 shipped.

I got mine from Chuck @ ShowstoppersUSA. This is the cheapest price found on them here ($773 + shipping via Apex...about $825 shipped): http://www.apexr1.com/teinbasichonda.html

I bet Chuck would work with you on the price, since they are the best EP3 vendor here. :)

jaydub
02-08-2004, 06:18 PM
I see.

(That's part of the reason I got rid of my subs, didn't want them screwing up whatever suspension setup I go with...because mine WAS heavy :D )

meh, you can easily find springs to compensate for any higher weight in the back. When I had my 99 Civic EX, I had Ground COntrols with custom spring rates, based on the weight of the box and the information GC was able to figure out. They recommended a perfect spring setup, I swear I should just go that route again.

Of course, with this newly squeaking steering rack, that might be on hold as well. :mad:

danoonez
02-08-2004, 06:26 PM
meh, you can easily find springs to compensate for any higher weight in the back. When I had my 99 Civic EX, I had Ground Controls with custom spring rates, based on the weight of the box and the information GC was able to figure out.

Yeah I guess I could. But I really wanted to get rid of them anyway, and thinking about the weight just gave me another excuse to drop them. I had my fun with car audio, but I can never really understand it all enough to get seriously into it so I just said screw it, I'll keep the stock system. I don't even listen to music all that much anyway.

!@#$%
02-08-2004, 07:43 PM
look at it this way, you won't have to grease your struts.

jaydub
02-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by !@#$%
look at it this way, you won't have to grease your struts.

haha yeah no squeaks! :D