PDA

View Full Version : To all that blame the ep transmission

!@#$%
02-08-2004, 07:36 PM
I believe honda is not the one to blame. Sure there are a few bad apples to account for, however I think this is a great tranny. Ask yourself if the tranny did it when you took it off the lot, and then think about the way you drive the car. Most of us probably drive it hard frequently; what it was meant to do.

I just don't understand how everyone has these problems, and mine has none. This also applies to any squeaking etc. My tranny is still as smooth as the day I bought it.

The real reason I think everyone is having problems, is the fact that because of the position, the si synchros may be more susceptible to short/long term damage due to everyone slamming gears. The traditional floor mount might make things a little less strenuous on the tranny when shifting gets harsh. I dunno. It just bugs me that everyone tries to make a petition to get free stuff from honda. (new synchros/trannies)

I know some will say, i've graduated through racing school and I know how to drive. I'm not trying to say that everyone who has tranny problems can't drive, but try and remember that we don't have a racing transmission. We have an aggressively geared 'civic' transmission. Harder shifting is usually slower than a smoother coordinated shift.

Im off the soapbox. Thanks for all who read this far, because it will more than likely stir up a lot of commotion and flaming instead of open-minded delegation and reasoning-- what ep hatch used to be.

-Alex :)

k20whiteboi269
02-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by !@#$%
It just bugs me that everyone tries to make a petition to get free stuff from honda. (new synchros/trannies)

it bugs me that i spend 17,000 on a car that grinds 2nd and 3rd gear(under 10k miles). ive driven mine hard a few times but not any harder than any other honda ive owned and their trannies all lasted at least well over 80,000 before i had any problems..... this is more than ep, its rsx and acura cl also from what i have heard. as well as some people have no problems at all. weird huh

thats just my thoughts tho :)

civicpimp
02-08-2004, 07:51 PM
I've had these problems since the day I took the car off the lot. Maybe your the lucky one in the group because there seems to be more bad ones then good ones.

siver-SI
02-08-2004, 08:05 PM
When I have my cluch foot to the floor and the car will not even go into gear and I try doing this 4 times in a row and the car will not go into gear it is not my fault there. Hell at first I thought it could be me. I am use to having a stick only on the race track not for a daily driver. After I would work with the trans and watch my shifting very close and I would still have the problems I think it is the car. When I called Honda of America they do have problems in this area and one is and I am thinking this might be my car is that there has been air reported in the cluch fluid. When Honda gave my dealer 6 things to check when I bring my car in for service tomarrow I would think there has to be some problem since none of them are inside the trans.

redronin22
02-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by k20whiteboi269
it bugs me that i spend 17,000 on a car that grinds 2nd and 3rd gear(under 10k miles). ive driven mine hard a few times but not any harder than any other honda ive owned and their trannies all lasted at least well over 80,000 before i had any problems..... this is more than ep, its rsx and acura cl also from what i have heard. as well as some people have no problems at all. weird huh

yea honda has really been dropping the ball on transmissions of late. I had a 88 pelude and it still shifted smoothly. MY ep sometimes finds 3rd hard to engage but 99% of the time it shifts smoothly. I dont race th piss out of it either and never slam the gears even when i drag race ( maybe thats why i lose) <-- granny shifts.
the lude with 200k+ miles still shifted like a dream.

the JigGa mAn
02-08-2004, 08:54 PM
i drive my car hard most of the time...and i have yet to have this problem for a long time...it happend to me for a couple of days but it went away

DavidT
02-08-2004, 08:59 PM
I had a 91 Prelude Si...with the B21A motor (Mine didn't burn oil) but after 123k of abuse third gear was starting to get notchy. I don't blame it though, I had i/h/e, tuning and was running a 65 shot of n2o. It was pretty nice car for it's age I still miss it :o

I hope these Si/RSX trannies aren't going to be like the 97+ and 98+ Prelude and Accord automatic trannies. They had A LOT of problems and Honda eventually recalled them...but those were autos. And it took Honda 3 or 4 years to finally recall them. Hopefully this won't be our case, though it seem it may be. There's so many complaints about'em, not just here on EPhatch but on ClubRSX, the two bigger K-series boards. Both the 5-spd and 6-spd trannies :(

jaydub
02-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by civicpimp
I've had these problems since the day I took the car off the lot. Maybe your the lucky one in the group because there seems to be more bad ones then good ones.

Then I have to ask the obvious: Why did you even take it off the lot?

I've expressed my opinion on this many times, so I'll just keep it to myself again. http://www.dubfusion.com/smilies/happysad.gif

SilVic
02-08-2004, 10:53 PM
I took my car in about 2-3 months after i got it just b/c it didn't seem normal(not the buttery smooth tranny i got when i drove it) i never slammed the gears or raced it. i took it with confidence but they just turned it down and said, it's fine.
the service manager of pacific honda told me, "the transmission would be fine, it's a sports car. you can't really abuse it unless you grind your gears on purpose."
then i asked him, "if the gears grind or if i have problems, i should come back to you?"
service manager: "yes"

i don't get why some say we abuse it, they don't have Si on it for no reason. But, then again, there are SOME that don't really know how to drive...

jandetuning
02-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
I had a 91 Prelude Si...with the B21A motor (Mine didn't burn oil) but after 123k of abuse third gear was starting to get notchy. I don't blame it though, I had i/h/e, tuning and was running a 65 shot of n2o. It was pretty nice car for it's age I still miss it :o

I hope these Si/RSX trannies aren't going to be like the 97+ and 98+ Prelude and Accord automatic trannies. They had A LOT of problems and Honda eventually recalled them...but those were autos. And it took Honda 3 or 4 years to finally recall them. Hopefully this won't be our case, though it seem it may be. There's so many complaints about'em, not just here on EPhatch but on ClubRSX, the two bigger K-series boards. Both the 5-spd and 6-spd trannies :(

'97 + Preludes also had problems with the 5 speeds. Most notably 1st, 5th and reverse gear selection.

DavidT
02-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by jandetuning
'97 + Preludes also had problems with the 5 speeds. Most notably 1st, 5th and reverse gear selection.

I didn't know that. I've also owned a 2000 Prelude Type SH, I traded my 91 Prelude for that 00 SH. Shifting in the SH was pretty smooth, I traded the SH for my EP3 Si. Shifting in the Si is a lot smoother than in the Prelude SH :D

dofu
02-08-2004, 11:11 PM
hmm... interesting analogy... but it seems that im havin more probs w/ grinding gears with this tranny than i ever had with my gsx... and that tranny jus sucked, but it didnt grind like my ep does... anytime i shift fast to second, it grinds, but the same speed and motion goes smoothly when im not revin high... but then again, i might jus need a new clutch... heheh

SexySIgiRL
02-09-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by k20whiteboi269
..... this is more than ep, its rsx and acura cl also from what i have heard. as well as some people have no problems at all. weird huh

yup - my 97 cl had tranny problems, and now the ep :( I think most of us drive aggressively every once in a while, but that shouldn't result in not being able to get into 2nd and 3rd gear every once in a while. At first I thought it was because of how I drove the car, but to hold the clutch down all the way and still not be able to get it into gear is absolutely ridiculous - and I know that I couldn't have driven the car THAT hard

RedLight_Si
02-09-2004, 01:07 AM
For as many people who have actually sought out,found and signed the online petitions out for the faulty transmissions in their cars(RSX,Si,ect.),the fault seems to lean towards Honda.

civicSIracer
02-09-2004, 01:18 AM
my tranny shifts fine.. i like this tranny a lot more then my old 00Si tranny.. that thing grinded hardcore going into 3rd..

savesteve
02-09-2004, 02:04 AM
I believe honda is not the one to blame. Sure there are a few bad apples to account for, however I think this is a great tranny. Ask yourself if the tranny did it when you took it off the lot, and then think about the way you drive the car. Most of us probably drive it hard frequently; what it was meant to do.

I just don't understand how everyone has these problems, and mine has none. This also applies to any squeaking etc. My tranny is still as smooth as the day I bought it.

The real reason I think everyone is having problems, is the fact that because of the position, the si synchros may be more susceptible to short/long term damage due to everyone slamming gears. The traditional floor mount might make things a little less strenuous on the tranny when shifting gets harsh. I dunno. It just bugs me that everyone tries to make a petition to get free stuff from honda. (new synchros/trannies)

I know some will say, i've graduated through racing school and I know how to drive. I'm not trying to say that everyone who has tranny problems can't drive, but try and remember that we don't have a racing transmission. We have an aggressively geared 'civic' transmission. Harder shifting is usually slower than a smoother coordinated shift.

Im off the soapbox. Thanks for all who read this far, because it will more than likely stir up a lot of commotion and flaming instead of open-minded delegation and reasoning-- what ep hatch used to be.

I've owned 5 other manual cars. (All used POS's) And they all had a smoother tranny than my EP did off the lot.

So what,are we all suffering from the same mass dilusion? I'm sure for a LOT of people this is not their first manual car. From the mere number of people that say this how could you possible make a statement like this?

I'm happy your tranny works fine but you are not the majority that's for sure.

I'm not a race school graduate but it's not rocket science.
Foot off gas -> push cluch -> move stick. How tough is that?

My EP consistantly clicks and creeks into the gears (1 - 2 is realy bad sometimes and reverse grinds EVERY time).

And as for our "Civic" tranny, I've ridin in MANY a civic that have suffered far more abuse / HP through the stock tranny and still where smoother between the gears.

I don't racecar my EP around either, it's my work/move my son around car. It's always been this way and from what I've read here on the boards taking it in to be looked at is somewhat pointless, so I'm waiting until the day it stops working and I'll take it in under warranty.

Your intitled to you opnion, but I am 100% the EP has some kind of factory problem with the tranny.

Mugen Power
02-09-2004, 05:36 AM
It's nice to see how those who don't have these problems think we can't drive... :rolleyes:

Sure, that may be the case for SOME but no one should generalize like that. I don't race or abuse my car but I still get the grinding/notchy shifts, with clutch fully depressed and granny shifting at 3k RPM.

ep3hatchattack
02-09-2004, 10:36 AM
I love my Tranny........ No problems here after 12,000 miles..

fishboy
02-09-2004, 10:56 AM
my tranny is cool too. no problems in 45k + miles. in this time i've only grinded twice, due to misshifts on my part. i still think that as a whole our trannys are good, we just don't here from the owners that don't have a problem with them. so post up if you don't have a problem guys!

i-WERKS
02-09-2004, 11:03 AM
^^ I agree. I've had no problems at all with my transmission. I've got 35000 KM on it. Had the EP for almost 2 years. Grinded 3rd gear (my fault) about 3 times total and still shifts like a champ.

ATRIOT
02-09-2004, 11:08 AM
No problems here either.

vivid blue Si
02-09-2004, 11:18 AM
My type r and my 03 si have had a hard time to get into first gear
as did my 00 si,so that I have herd from many honda/acura owners. it isint a problem to take to the dealer as it happens very rarely. but as far as shifting I have been lucky on that point but I did notice
that shifting in the dash compared to the floor it has taken me a while to shift it as well as my other floor mounted shifters. Maybe
this could account for some of the troubles that have arisen on the newer si's. my 2cents

Peking
02-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by fishboy
my tranny is cool too. no problems in 45k + miles. in this time i've only grinded twice, due to misshifts on my part. i still think that as a whole our trannys are good, we just don't here from the owners that don't have a problem with them. so post up if you don't have a problem guys!

Nothing to major. Does what I ask of it.

!@#$%
02-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by savesteve
I've owned 5 other manual cars. (All used POS's) And they all had a smoother tranny than my EP did off the lot.

jaydub: "Then I have to ask the obvious: Why did you even take it off the lot?"

So what,are we all suffering from the same mass dilusion? I'm sure for a LOT of people this is not their first manual car. From the mere number of people that say this how could you possible make a statement like this?
ep3hatchattack: "I love my Tranny........ No problems here after 12,000 miles."
fishboy: "my tranny is cool too. no problems in 45k + miles."
ATRIOT: "No problems here either."

I'm not a race school graduate but it's not rocket science.
Foot off gas -> push cluch -> move stick. How tough is that?
Ask the people with tranny problems, i guess.

My EP consistantly clicks and creeks into the gears (1 - 2 is realy bad sometimes and reverse grinds EVERY time).

I'm sorry you got a lemon.

And as for our "Civic" tranny, I've ridin in MANY a civic that have suffered far more abuse / HP through the stock tranny and still where smoother between the gears.

This is the first yr model for k series motor and trannies. I expected bugs when I bought the car. I am fortunate.

I don't racecar my EP around either, it's my work/move my son around car. It's always been this way and from what I've read here on the boards taking it in to be looked at is somewhat pointless, so I'm waiting until the day it stops working and I'll take it in under warranty.

Definitely. If it is my fault, I will own up to it. If it really is the design then you can bet, I won't be making petitions and would be calling american honda myself going through each hassle along the way.

Your intitled to you opnion...

Savesteve: "I am 100% the EP has some kind of factory problem with the tranny."

So are you. :D

!@#$%
02-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Mugen Power
It's nice to see how those who don't have these problems think we can't drive... :rolleyes:

Sure, that may be the case for SOME but no one should generalize like that. I don't race or abuse my car but I still get the grinding/notchy shifts, with clutch fully depressed and granny shifting at 3k RPM.

Well you must have missed the sentence in the very first post that said, " I'm not trying to say that everyone who has tranny problems can't drive"

chunky
02-09-2004, 02:34 PM
*shrug*

i've got 70+ miles on the clock. I slam gears all the time and the car lives at high rpm. I grind gears occasionally, but it'always my own fault.

!@#$%
02-09-2004, 02:37 PM
maybe the people with tranny problems happened to get first up production cars.

I believe mine was manufactured in aug of 2002. Think honda did a little improvement on the models after? Sure, anything is possible.

fishboy
02-09-2004, 02:51 PM
i bought my car, april of 2002, are my chances greater that i got one of the first models or is it certain?

i am not saying that those with tranny problems don't know how to drive either. i'm just saying that i think this problem isn't as widespread as you guys think. i think they are isolated incidents that appear widespread because they are gathered from the few individuals that experience this problem from across the country and are discussed in this site. i'm sure some may be genuine tranny problems and others are driver error. i'd also like to add that i've been to a few meets and i don't recall anybody asking anybody else if they had tranny problems.

chunky
02-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by fishboy
i bought my car, april of 2002, are my chances greater that i got one of the first models or is it certain?

i am not saying that those with tranny problems don't know how to drive either. i'm just saying that i think this problem isn't as widespread as you guys think. i think they are isolated incidents that appear widespread because they are gathered from the few individuals that experience this problem from across the country and are discussed in this site. i'm sure some may be genuine tranny problems and others are driver error. i'd also like to add that i've been to a few meets and i don't recall anybody asking anybody else if they had tranny problems.

I got mine in may or june of 2002. It has the RSX size struts up front. honda started making changes before august for sure.

I think the breakin is key. poorly breakin practicies can screw the car for life.

DavidT
02-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by chunky
I think the breakin is key. poorly breakin practicies can screw the car for life. [/B]

Word, that is VERY true. Not saying you all didn't break in your cars properly but his statement is true :D :cool:

savesteve
02-09-2004, 03:57 PM
jaydub: "Then I have to ask the obvious: Why did you even take it off the lot?"
I actualy didn't drive it all the much the first week and a half I had it. I also asked my friends and they said it may need to break in a little before it's all smoothed out. And in all fairness it has gotten a little bit better. Still not good, but better.

ep3hatchattack: "I love my Tranny........ No problems here after 12,000 miles."
fishboy: "my tranny is cool too. no problems in 45k + miles."
ATRIOT: "No problems here either."

Again not everyone has trouble with this.

Ask the people with tranny problems, i guess

You have to at least admit to the possibility it could be the car? I'll admit it could be some of the drivers.

I'm sorry you got a lemon.
She's good aside from the tranny :).

This is the first yr model for k series motor and trannies. I expected bugs when I bought the car. I am fortunate.[B]
I have an 03 the second year they've made the motor / tranny. You'd think they'd work out any bugs from the 02?

Definitely. If it is my fault, I will own up to it. If it really is the design then you can bet, I won't be making petitions and would be calling american honda myself going through each hassle along the way.

If I killed it, I'd be the first to say as well, but I'm innocient.

Savesteve: "I am 100% the EP has some kind of factory problem with the tranny."

So are you. :D

Again just my and your 2c

Mugen Power
02-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Well you must have missed the sentence in the very first post that said, " I'm not trying to say that everyone who has tranny problems can't drive"

Whoops, I read the thread about bad trannies causing regrets in buying the EP before I read this one. In that thread, some people were saying those of us with tranny problems needed to learn to drive.

jaydub
02-09-2004, 04:08 PM
you're all a bunch of idiots who don't know how to drive a manual. How's that? :D

before anyone's panties get bunched, I am just kidding.

Peking
02-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Whoops, I read the thread about bad trannies causing regrets in buying the EP before I read this one. In that thread, some people were saying those of us with tranny problems needed to learn to drive.

Geez, the whole "learn to drive thing" shouldn't be taken so harshly. Unless you are not confident in your driving. Man like I said before, some folks just get to worked up over something that isn't a big deal. It is times like this when I really miss Dobbs, and Zero hasn't been posting to much either.

jaydub
02-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Another thing to remember guys is that you might be causing it and aren't even aware of it. A great example of this is my first car. it was a porsche 914, 73 model. My dad went through 3 clutches in ~45k miles. I didn't go through any cluches at all in 30k miles of ownership, and the car was 20 years old when I got it.

Turns out he has a tendency to rest his foot on the clutch...

Mugen Power
02-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Peking
Geez, the whole "learn to drive thing" shouldn't be taken so harshly. Unless you are not confident in your driving. Man like I said before, some folks just get to worked up over something that isn't a big deal. It is times like this when I really miss Dobbs, and Zero hasn't been posting to much either.

Yeah, but who likes being criticized by someone who's not around to see what the deal is? You and others might be saying that because you're sick of hearing all the complaints about a tranny that you're not having trouble with. But all of us are sick of feeling what we are from this tranny.

Besides, I doubt that I'm doing anything wrong because I get the crunch even when shifting granny style, all slow and at low RPM and ALWAYS with clutch fully depressed. Who knows, maybe some of us are driving wrong and have no reason to complain but saying they need to learn how to drive won't HELP them learn how to drive. Maybe you should give a little direction on where or how to learn or just not reply at all if these tranny complaint threads are bothering you.

And, no, I'm not trying to start an argument or debate.

siver-SI
02-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Yeah, but who likes being criticized by someone who's not around to see what the deal is? You and others might be saying that because you're sick of hearing all the complaints about a tranny that you're not having trouble with. But all of us are sick of feeling what we are from this tranny.

Besides, I doubt that I'm doing anything wrong because I get the crunch even when shifting granny style, all slow and at low RPM and ALWAYS with clutch fully depressed. Who knows, maybe some of us are driving wrong and have no reason to complain but saying they need to learn how to drive won't HELP them learn how to drive. Maybe you should give a little direction on where or how to learn or just not reply at all if these tranny complaint threads are bothering you.

What I thought was funny when I was at the auto show I was at the Arura area and they knew what I was talking about with are trasns so well since they got a recall and we did not even though the part that was recalled is the same in both of are cars.

Peking
02-09-2004, 09:16 PM

Yeah, please excuse my post earlier in this thread. Your right I am not there. Yet it is very possible that it is the case with some. The tranny must be broken in like the motor. I have seen others with new cars, turn them into money pits. Not saying that is the case with you guys, but it could be possible. I have done the best that I know we my shifting, and it might not feel anywhere close to what it felt like the day I drove it off the lot. Yet I understand that things don't last forever (not saying this directly towards anyone). So with natual wear and tear, the tranny isn't gonna feel the same. My friends 03 Type-S is still pretty much brand new. Yet from the day we drove it from the dealer to now. He is harder on it then I was with mine, and it shows with the shifts. Also we have threads on forms of driving. Just got to look, so do other forums ;)

Siman
02-10-2004, 10:50 AM

"I" this "I " that.....just shut your hole....:p

jaydub
02-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Siman
"I" this "I " that.....just shut your hole....:p

You just proved the last sentence in his post...

Siman
02-10-2004, 10:55 AM
as you may remember, i had mine replaced 3 times, the dealer just couldnt rebuild the thing right....Mine "was defently a warranty" as one of the tech guys said. The other honda service guys that saw my car could not believe how "crappy" as one guy stated the synchros were, they are made of weak brass.....also, after my car was fixed, a friend of mine that has a silver 2002 ep3 brought his in with the same problem and also had his warranty'd. The dealership thought i was bs'ing at first, but after all this, they new there assumptions were wrong, there product was failing...

Siman
02-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
You just proved the last sentence in his post...

dont even start with me.......

jaydub
02-10-2004, 10:57 AM
dont even start with me.......

Oh boo hoo. :rolleyes: Crybaby sally

Siman
02-10-2004, 10:59 AM
"Thanks for all who read this far, because it will more than likely stir up a lot of commotion and flaming instead of open-minded delegation and reasoning"

he new that he may be wrong, since himself has not been in the particular situation that others have had with their particular transmission problems. Once you have battled with Honda for 6 months and dealing with a crappy tranny, you yourself might understand where the flaming comes from;)

Siman
02-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Oh boo hoo. :rolleyes: Crybaby sally

whaaaaaaaaaaat???? that made no sence. End of discussion

jaydub
02-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Nevermind. What i mean is that instead of you posting a worthwhile rebuttal to his opinion, you just told him to "shut his hole."

Peking
02-10-2004, 11:05 AM
"Thanks for all who read this far, because it will more than likely stir up a lot of commotion and flaming instead of open-minded delegation and reasoning"

he new that he may be wrong, since himself has not been in the particular situation that others have had with their particular transmission problems. Once you have battled with Honda for 6 months and dealing with a crappy tranny, you yourself might understand where the flaming comes from;)

He was stating in his own opinion. It was good the dealer fixed yours, or attemped to.

whaaaaaaaaaaat???? that made no sence. End of discussion

Sense :D

Siman
02-10-2004, 11:11 AM
I was typing quick hehehehe.

I understand his defense statment. I was stating my opinion and basis of my opinion;)

and yse the shut your hole remark may have been much....but if you were to step inside my shoes...:rolleyes:

Vierge99
02-10-2004, 01:33 PM
I drive my car 120 miles daily. It is almost exactly one year old and has 31000 miles on it. I drive the crap out of it and I drive it pretty stupid. Hard acceleration, skipping gears, downshifting wrong, etc. And I have had absolutely ZERO problems with the tranny. During the Summer last year it made some odd rubber-against-metal-rubbing noises but I just attributed that to the extreme heat (often over 105) and was mostly right. When the temp started to drop, the noise went away. And I haven't had another problem. No mis-shifts, no grinding, nada. I think the problems you have may be caused a little by where you live and how you drive, but Honda wouldn't put a piss-poor transmission in something with an "Si" badge. Think about it. Your company has a car model with a heritage of performance and racing, would you build it with a crappy trans. to cut costs?

Siman
02-10-2004, 02:50 PM
I have 32,560 mile on mine. Drive backroads, fast but not abrupt shifting. never misshifted. I learnd to drive with a manual tranny in a 200 HP fwd 1993 nissan maxima. It had over 120,000 miles on it already. We put another 50+K miles on it before my dad bought me and my brother a 2002 SE-R spec-V. Those two cars had AWSOME transmission feel, and awsome response. Never ever had one tranny problem. until my brother got an rsx-s and i got an si. His tranny as the service manager said "catastrophically faild". He is a slow putting around type driver. His synchros broke, thus making him misshift and subsequently snapping the shiffter fork! It was NOT his fault. Then my Si crapped out on me finally. We both had warranty's My brothers type-s only had 14,000 miles on it too!

how do you explain this??

To my knowledge some people just dont feel like posting there car problems on here. Heck, i was ridiculed by many others on hear about my "driving skills...". if you saw what i saw, my tranny fully apart on a work bench at my honda dealership, you would be thinking the same way i do about the synchros. THEY SUCK.

P.S. Why do you think honda put Carbon Steel sychros in the New S2000?
They had a WARRANTY on the 1st gen. s2000 for god sakes.

Mugen Power
02-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Vierge99
Think about it. Your company has a car model with a heritage of performance and racing, would you build it with a crappy trans. to cut costs?

I dunno, maybe the same reason our car has Mac struts up front instead of wishbones?

jaydub
02-10-2004, 04:02 PM
I dunno, maybe the same reason our car has Mac struts up front instead of wishbones?

BMW M3 (E36) had macpherson struts up front, as does the Porsche Boxster. That's a cop out.

Mugen Power
02-10-2004, 04:07 PM
BMW M3 (E36) had macpherson struts up front, as does the Porsche Boxster. That's a cop out.

I knew one of you would come in and say that but the point is, Honda's been touting the fact that they have wishbones in their economy cars for A LONG TIME. That was one of their many claims to fame. BMW and Porsche haven't been slapping wishbones on their cars so that's not a valid argument on your part. Besides, Honda even admits that going to Mac struts was a cost-cutting measure.

jaydub
02-10-2004, 04:08 PM
It might've been a cost cutting measure, but it hasn't hurt the performance in any way, shape, or form. The only thing is HAS done was make doing suspension work a bit more costly, and even that difference is negligible.

Mugen Power
02-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Regardless of how insignificant it may seem to you (or how much better these new cars would be with wishbones ;) ), I was just responding to the thread above about cost cutting. Marketing people could care less about the prestige of the Si nameplate. They're just using it to make money and if costs go up in making it, their profit will be lower. And besides, it's just something Honda thought they could get away with without getting a lot of the negative feedback that's around now. Obviously, they can't get away from that with everyone nor can they get away with the fact that the MSRP for this car is too high. :p

Peking
02-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Regardless of how insignificant it may seem to you (or how much better these new cars would be with wishbones ;) ), I was just responding to the thread above about cost cutting. Marketing people could care less about the prestige of the Si nameplate. They're just using it to make money and if costs go up in making it, their profit will be lower. And besides, it's just something Honda thought they could get away with without getting a lot of the negative feedback that's around now. Obviously, they can't get away from that with everyone nor can they get away with the fact that the MSRP for this car is too high. :p

MSRP at 19,000 isn't that bad. Considering how high dealer mark up was for the SVT focus, and their MSRP was much lower when I was first shopping around. Also GTI MSRP was lower than the SI too, yet supply of 5 speeds were not to be found once again when I was shopping (I am also talking about what was brand new at the time, the 02's then, I didn't want to buy used).

Siman
02-10-2004, 06:40 PM
all in all its a great car for the MONEY....you get what you pay for.;)

myeverlovinsir
02-10-2004, 06:54 PM
A wonderful 5-speed A3 tranny will be up for grabs shortly, almost sad to let it go.:(

jdmpwr
02-10-2004, 07:03 PM
I find that statement that the owners of the EP's dont know how to drive or should have never taken the car off the lot a line of BS, I worked for a Honda Dealer for 2 1/2 yrs and I can tell you a few things about it, first off the 2000 s2000 had mad transmission problems to the point where honda started replacing and rebuilding those trans(I know i owned a 2003), since 2001 on up the RSX and EP3 have had a ton of trans problems, Honda knows of these problems but you have to look at the cost of repairing of replacing 15,000 transmissions, they did them in the s2000's because it is a limited production vehicle not like a rsx-s or a ep. I as well as various honda service tech's and service writers know of the problem yet are told to DENY DENY DENY the problem just like medical insurance claims personel!!!!! It is like innocent till proven guilty which is hard to do. I see that the transmission post is a good way to go about it, but just like the later Generation 2 dsm's with crank walk problems just outside of there warranty with Mitsubishi, got nothing!!! It is hard to force a manufacturer to repair or replace soemthing unless the owners lives are in jeopardy.

Peking
02-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by jdmpwr
I find that statement that the owners of the EP's dont know how to drive or should have never taken the car off the lot a line of BS, I worked for a Honda Dealer for 2 1/2 yrs and I can tell you a few things about it, first off the 2000 s2000 had mad transmission problems to the point where honda started replacing and rebuilding those trans(I know i owned a 2003), since 2001 on up the RSX and EP3 have had a ton of trans problems, Honda knows of these problems but you have to look at the cost of repairing of replacing 15,000 transmissions, they did them in the s2000's because it is a limited production vehicle not like a rsx-s or a ep. I as well as various honda service tech's and service writers know of the problem yet are told to DENY DENY DENY the problem just like medical insurance claims personel!!!!! It is like innocent till proven guilty which is hard to do. I see that the transmission post is a good way to go about it, but just like the later Generation 2 dsm's with crank walk problems just outside of there warranty with Mitsubishi, got nothing!!! It is hard to force a manufacturer to repair or replace soemthing unless the owners lives are in jeopardy.

Yeah, nothing most of us already don't know. Once again, think about the ratio of folks who have a huge enough problem. That they take theirs to the dealer, compared to those who are just saying stuff. Yet chances are they might not have taken theirs in. Your last sentance is sadly so true. Fight Club comes to mind. Then again you have what happened to Ally (bratkat). Great example why not to let your friends drive your SI.

HondaMan
02-10-2004, 07:21 PM
No problems here...drives fine and I drive hard most of the time, just a rare misshift (on my part) here and there.

Mugen Power
02-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Yeah, nothing most of us already don't know. Once again, think about the ratio of folks who have a huge enough problem. That they take theirs to the dealer, compared to those who are just saying stuff. Yet chances are they might not have taken theirs in. Your last sentance is sadly so true. Fight Club comes to mind. Then again you have what happened to Ally (bratkat). Great example why not to let your friends drive your SI.

I, for one, am not just saying stuff. I've taken it in to two separate dealers at different mileage; two times to one dealer and one time to another. So I guess they're doing a good job of listening to their superiors to deny any problems.

bao_pay
02-11-2004, 03:08 AM
why even write a thread that revolves around so much controversy? stop trying to get attention

Siman
02-11-2004, 08:00 AM

this is what i am saying:confused:

!@#$%
02-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by bao_pay
why even write a thread that revolves around so much controversy? stop trying to get attention

so hopefully we can have one centralized thread instead of 2349876325 other ones laying around everywhere.

I have no use for attention on this board. I read more than I post.

dtexan
02-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Ah come on alex we all know your an attention hog lol oh yeah on a side note i'm installing some progress springs with darkhatch this week

!@#$%
02-11-2004, 11:23 AM
progress springs, u will love them. i have used them on diminishing roads for over a yr now and the shocks are still strong

dtexan
02-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Yeah I cant wait to get them installed. We are going to install them friday afternoon. I just hope we get them back together without any noises.

chunky
02-11-2004, 06:09 PM
I have 32,560 mile on mine. Drive backroads, fast but not abrupt shifting. never misshifted. I learnd to drive with a manual tranny in a 200 HP fwd 1993 nissan maxima. It had over 120,000 miles on it already. We put another 50+K miles on it before my dad bought me and my brother a 2002 SE-R spec-V. Those two cars had AWSOME transmission feel, and awsome response. Never ever had one tranny problem. until my brother got an rsx-s and i got an si. His tranny as the service manager said "catastrophically faild". He is a slow putting around type driver. His synchros broke, thus making him misshift and subsequently snapping the shiffter fork! It was NOT his fault. Then my Si crapped out on me finally. We both had warranty's My brothers type-s only had 14,000 miles on it too!

how do you explain this??

To my knowledge some people just dont feel like posting there car problems on here. Heck, i was ridiculed by many others on hear about my "driving skills...". if you saw what i saw, my tranny fully apart on a work bench at my honda dealership, you would be thinking the same way i do about the synchros. THEY SUCK.

P.S. Why do you think honda put Carbon Steel sychros in the New S2000?
They had a WARRANTY on the 1st gen. s2000 for god sakes.

I thought it was carbon fiber composite synchros? And I thought it was just so they could go from a triple cone to a single cone design. . . .

IMO, honda makes some of the best synchros in the industry. Collectively, honda transmissions are some of the best in the industry. Nissan FWD owners would LOVE to have transmissions that don't self destruct when exposed to high HP.

I really don't know what to say about the problems everyone has been having with the k20 transmissions. Mine has 70k+ miles on it as i've said before, and is still excellent. I chirp 2nd & 3rd sometimes with 225/50/15 tires and the tranny begs for more.

I'm currently rebuilding an RSX-s tranny, and I must say that the internals on it are quite beefy. the final drive has teeth that are over 1" in width. the internals are designed to take some serious HP.

90LudeSiALB
02-11-2004, 07:33 PM
they just dont make things like they used to, thats why you gotta get a 3rd gen prelude, lol jk, not very much aftermarket support, but its still sweet, im keeping it forever. all this talk about these trannies is makin me wonder if i really want a civic si? it will be my first manual car(not to steal the thread)