PDA

View Full Version : Hondata Heatshield & CEL !!!

g_kristian80
02-08-2004, 10:13 PM
I put the Hondata Heatchield (intake manifold gasket) in my car yesterday and today I threw a CEL (check engine light). I don't know what the problem could be--anyone have any ideas?

Vertigo
02-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Did you put it back together correctly? No missed plugs or hoses?

g_kristian80
02-08-2004, 10:27 PM
I quickly went over it again today and I can't seem to find anything that looks wrong. It sure sucks though--maybe its just my car calling me a shmuck. Who knows...

Tenacious G
02-08-2004, 10:28 PM
this is verbatim from Hondata's installation guide on their Web site ...

"Make sure all hoses and vacuum lines are reconnected to the original locations or you may experience idle problems or error codes."

EDIT: i've had the gasket for several months now with no CELs.

Black 02 SI
02-08-2004, 10:39 PM
yeah i don't know sounds like something stupid to me. mine has been on for months with no probs. reset the ecu and see if it comes back.

dofu
02-08-2004, 10:41 PM
hate to be the one sayin this, since i myself, hate doin this... only one way to be absolutely certain that everything is in the way its suppose to be... start over... take it all apart and put it back together again. lots of work, but works for me when i think i've mada a mistake, but cant figure out what...

savesteve
02-09-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by dofu
hate to be the one sayin this, since i myself, hate doin this... only one way to be absolutely certain that everything is in the way its suppose to be... start over... take it all apart and put it back together again. lots of work, but works for me when i think i've mada a mistake, but cant figure out what...

Basicly what I would do. In this case tho it's f*cking PITA.

I will never install another one of these in any car I own.

When I was holding the intake manifold and the intake manifold studs in my hands all I could think of (and this was 2 hours in) was so about the 2% HP is that crank or wheels? ( Or this could be a JRSC :) )

Check the injectors for proper alignment, make sure you didn't botch one of them up. It might be seeing a bad Air/Fuel ration somewhere.

I did my AEM fuel rail at the same time. (I figured while I had the whole danm front of the engine off i might as well)

Also did you TQ all the bolts down to factory spec? If you overtighten you might have cracked the gasket maybe?

Just some things I would check.

I've had might on for a couple months now and have had no problems with it so far. No CEL / leaks at all.

dofu
02-09-2004, 04:39 AM
savesteve... you gonna be at the bay area meet comin up on the 21st???

2/21 treasure island (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27455)

fsugatorbait
02-09-2004, 07:23 AM
I hate to be the one to say it, but check your manifold. A couple members here have cracked the actual manifold because they over tightened the bolts. Id check to see that there isnt a hairline crack somewhere. You could also take it to a Pepboys or Autozone who will scan your CEL for free, good luck.

savesteve
02-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by dofu
savesteve... you gonna be at the bay area meet comin up on the 21st???

2/21 treasure island (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27455)

I had no clue but sure :).