PDA

View Full Version : how about your 1st gear? crunch?

ep3sucks
02-10-2004, 11:21 PM
have anyone had this problem?
i don't really recall it as a problem, but some of the other cars i had before,
had this with ONLY REVERSE gear. sometimes your reverse wouldn't go in.
then let go the clutch and step on it again, and the gear will go.
i don't have that reverse gear problem with my ep, but lots of times by the traffic light when i needed rapid engaging to take off i had cruch into not having it all the way and it'd grind. even during normal driving tho...
anyone??

civicracer1128
02-10-2004, 11:52 PM
rolling at 3 miles an hour and put it in first.......crunch. its not bad enough you hear it but most of these annoying grinds on sychronized gears arent. but i do have it. i hate it. but you should be able to put in into 1st rolling.....thats why it has synchros.

ep3sucks
02-10-2004, 11:58 PM
i know, but i'm talking about when the car is at complete stop tho

civicracer1128
02-11-2004, 12:34 AM
o ok. well, not yet but im sure itll show later. still kinda pissed about it as is. wrx's do that. thats why i didnt buy one. NASTY grind just sitting there. other nasty trans traits as well. we're still up there though. VW and subaru are still worse. anyway......hope you get it fixed.

Mugen Power
02-11-2004, 06:26 AM
Yup, mine crunches in 1st. Also, I talked to the techs when I brought in the car once and they said I should come to a complete stop before putting it into first (which I do) even though it has synchros... OK...

Btrthnezr3
02-11-2004, 06:41 AM
I used to have that problem but something that helped alot was putting it into 2nd before I put it into first. I do that everytime now...at stopsigns, stoplights...everywhere. For some reason it just helps! I also make a point not to ever put the car into 1st when still rolling at all...I just take off in 2nd even if I'm barely crawling. I used to have alot of crunchiness but doing these things have really helped out alot. Also, and someone has said this before...I kinda go through the gears once or twice at stoplights sometimes. Ohh...and if I ever do feel a crunch, I take the stick out of gear and put it back in until it doesn't crunch anymore. My shifting has changed dramatically after trying these things. I hope this helps! :cool:

STP03BlueSI
02-11-2004, 06:49 AM
nope no problems with first gear. My tranny seems to rarely do the notchy shifting...i dont know if it is because of all the highway driving to and from work(40 round trip):(

Blue03EP3Si
02-11-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Btrthnezr3
I used to have that problem but something that helped alot was putting it into 2nd before I put it into first. I do that everytime now...at stopsigns, stoplights...everywhere. For some reason it just helps! I also make a point not to ever put the car into 1st when still rolling at all...I just take off in 2nd even if I'm barely crawling. I used to have alot of crunchiness but doing these things have really helped out alot. Also, and someone has said this before...I kinda go through the gears once or twice at stoplights sometimes. Ohh...and if I ever do feel a crunch, I take the stick out of gear and put it back in until it doesn't crunch anymore. My shifting has changed dramatically after trying these things. I hope this helps! :cool:

I do the same...I hate that 1st gear crunch, it's like the syncros aren't lining up the gear right...if you move the clutch pedal in and out, this helps me sometimes too, as well as going thru the gears with the pedal in @ the stoplight.;)

Mugen Power
02-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I try to avoid 1st as much as possible now. Sometimes I even start out in 2nd when the car's already stopped... just sometimes.

The same thing happens for me, though. If it crunches going in and I pop it into neutral and back in gear again, it won't crunch going in. I guess that's probably because the synchros have already lined up.

Btrthnezr3
02-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Exactly. I've gone to great lengths to make my tranny shift smoother and nicer...for the most part, it's worked and I'm very pleased that a little change in attitude and concious effort have made a world of difference! :D :cool:

03silverEP
02-11-2004, 10:55 AM
it's a honda first can only be smoothly engaged while at a complete stop, as for reverse press the clutch in and Wait! for 5 seconds then reverse will engage w/no grinding, it's just how honda builds them, why i don't know.......

Mugen Power
02-11-2004, 11:59 AM
I think even the owner's manual tells you to do that for reverse. Also, I believe the reverse isn't synchroed, which would explain why it's worse than the others. And, our cars have a reverse lockout so you HAVE to be at a complete stop to shift into reverse or else it'll sound horrible...

ep3sucks
02-11-2004, 06:23 PM
yea.. well it's not like it's not working for me.. so yea i guess i can hang with it, but sometimes let's say im waiting for the green in the traffic, and here in vegas usually signal timing's pretty longer than how it was in california.
anyway each side of intersection's light's pretty long, so there's a lot of time, i just pull my hand brake and wait for the light or talk to someone whose next to me and stuff. then the green, i'll be like oh shoot, we're going, gotta hurry,
step on the clutch real quick and 1st gear, and i'm trying to take off (vegas driving is real crazy) and my gear's not in all the way and then grinds.
so then i'll have to be real fast to pull it out, pop out my clutch then step on it again to engage 1st before the car behind me start honking at me. it's just everything has to happen real fast.. kinda bothers me. so yea i kinda have to be ready most of the time. well, at least my 2nd-3rd is fine, so yea.. i can live with it i guess..

chunky
02-11-2004, 06:30 PM
so i'm guessing that none of you have ever downshifted into 1st gear going 25mph?

you guys are missing out. . . . it lands you around 5500-6000rpm and you get moving real quick like. :D

Bificus
02-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Dang Chunky! Mine refuses to shift into 1st until almost a full stop. No grind or anything just waiting. Waiting...waiting OK GO!

nozomi
02-13-2004, 03:59 AM
I am not sure if you guys had done this:

when shifting to 1st gear before a complete stop, put the gear into neutral and engage the clutch. Then, rev a little bit. Then shift into 1st gear.

our EP has a really large 1st gear ratio. Therefore, unlike some other cars, our 1st gear is very "downshift unfriendly". And 1st gear aren't meant to be downshifted anyways, it's a gear for the car to get the car rolling from stop.

Also, when putting your car into reverse, you can do either:

-Wait 5 seconds.

-Put into neutral gear and engage clutch. Make a complete stop (absolutely no crawling), then shift to reverse

-Put it into first gear, then to reverse.

Basically all 3 methods aim to stop the spinning inertia inside the gearbox before going into reverse. I find that the 2nd method is the most reliable method. But If you want to be even more safer, do method 2 first then do method 3.

Dunrick
02-13-2004, 07:07 AM
you can just double-clitch the gear that gives you the crunch. It eliminates the crunch. Mine is 1st to 2nd, so when I double clutch, I take the first gear up to about 3.7k rpms, just so traffic behind me doesn't want to hax up my bumper.

!@#$%
02-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Btrthnezr3

we must be related in a different life. :confused: