PDA

View Full Version : Some Dyno Information From Today's Runs...

JSIR
09-28-2002, 02:08 PM
Well finally made it back to the dyno after putting in the K&N Typhoon system, here is the summary.

Since my last dyno run the K&N Typhoon has added 9.2 whp gain on the dyno with the hood open, power peaked at 149.8 (basically 150 whp). When I did a run with the hood closed the gain dropped to 4.4whp, power peaked at 145.1, so hot air does affect power, the power curve shape was the same but lower at all rpms. Power would have increased beyond redline, we stopped pulling at 6700 , it probably would have topped over 150 if we took it to the rev limiter. This car could use a good 400-500 extra revs as power is pulling good to redline.

The Typhoon did increase power at all rpms which is good, as low as 2500 rpms to redline. Since the car was stock the total gain is 11.8whp with the header, midpipe, intake. I wouldn't contribute the 9.2 whp solely to the intake though, I think it was working in conjunction with the other parts already on the car. If you were to put this on a stock Civic the gain is probably around 4 whp by itself from what I can tell. The correction factor was 1.00, so the numbers put down at the wheels were actual numbers without correction.

On the exhaust side, I did one run with no muffler, just an open midpipe (2.5"). There was no power gain without the muffler, and the car was actually losing power on the upper rpm band by a couple whp. The car was making more power with the stock muffler, or at least as good as an open exhaust, pretty amazing,so I'm glad that I am keeping the stock muffler. The stock muffler is pretty free flowing.

I think my 2.5" midpipe isn't doing that great, I definitely lost bottom end torque with it since I installed it, and it seems that the car doesn't want a huge exhaust system. I will probably go with a 2" mandrel bent midpipe in the near future since the stock muffler piping is 2" , no need to go any bigger. I'm willing to bet my top end power may even increase with a smaller midpipe,just a theory though. well that's it.

2sloSi
09-28-2002, 02:23 PM
I wonder how a cold air intake would have done!

twill
09-28-2002, 02:28 PM
Good info!

I keep hearing the same comments about the low redline. If our cars are still building power up to the rev limiter, can the rev limit point be raised to get the most out of the engine's natural power curve instead of just cutting out before it peaks?

Any ideas?

JSIR
09-28-2002, 02:34 PM
well I think any intake would probably be worth about 4 whp on an otherwise stock Civic, the cold air system just ensures that it performs consistently. With a header and upgraded exhaust I think that is how the intakes perform even better.

I would really like to increase the rev limiter to 7400-7500 rpms, I think this engine can take it, and with a few mods the power curve would be better suited to a higher redline. Our best hope right now is the Hondata system that is in the works, hopefully they can figure out how to modify the ecu signals.

nikkotyper
09-28-2002, 03:50 PM
JSIR,
thanks for the info. You have pretty much the same ideology about this car as I do. I plan on keeping the stock exhaust until the right one comes along (that means I may never replace it.) I am also eagerly waiting for somebody to come up with a good cam/chip combo (maybe then the fatter exhaust piping will be usefull.) Until then, I will probably just upgrade suspension system.
Soon I will have my car dynoed for a baseline (still waiting at least 5k and 2 oil changes,) then we will see what the aftermarket comes up with.

Thanks.

02blksi
09-28-2002, 07:56 PM
JSIR nice numbers!!! -- BTW what was your torque output? i dont think you listed that, thanks - joe :)

JSIR
09-28-2002, 09:26 PM
Thanks 02blksi, the numbers werent bad, I was hoping for about 155 whp and I would have been very happy. I think I can still get there with some upgraded parts. My peak torque was 126 ft lbs, it happened around 5200 rpms, torque curve was pretty flat. At 6500 rpms it was still making 120 ft lbs, at redline about 116 ft lbs. When my car was totally stock it made 126 ft lbs torque peak also, but that was around 3300 rpms. Ive lost some bottom end power since then, as I have 120 ft lbs torque at 3300 rpms now. That was caused by the mid-pipe changes.

One nice thing is that I actually have a gain in power when vtec engages right around 4600 rpms, you can actually feel it engage and pull harder, something like the traditional b-series vtec engines, I thought this engine would never be capable of that.

HondaMan
09-28-2002, 10:49 PM
Coolness! So, you are pleased with the Typhoon's performance? It sounds like it. I love mine...nateSi & sicivic2002 got to hear/see it in person today...they liked it. :)

JSIR
09-29-2002, 06:35 AM
I like the Typhoon intake very much, its a good quality intake system. But when the hood closes there is obviously some power decrease compared to when it gets cold air. I guess it needs a heat shield which would probably help. Also the intake most likely works best with exhaust and/or header upgrades IMO.

Temps in my area have not gone above 75 degrees lately, so I haven't felt the Typhoon during very hot summer weather, it really feels good on cold mornings/evenings for sure. I expect the Comptech Icebox to probably be the best peforming intake once it gets released, I can see the benefit of using an icebox style of system in our engine bay.