PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous...? How come no one is using it?

ViViDPeArL
02-11-2004, 06:41 PM
i talked to about 4 people from the industry and they all tell me nitrous is safe if you keep at a low...40/50 shot. 60 shot you better have some upgrades such as a fuel pump etc. I'm thinkin bout getting a nitrous kit cuz i have a friend at Nitrous Express...i still dunno whether i should or not... :(

chunky
02-11-2004, 06:44 PM
there are several people running the bottle. 50 shot is easy to do, i think there was a guy on here that ran a 150 shot and ran 13's with it + boltons.

03EP3SiHB
02-11-2004, 06:46 PM
Bottles are for Babies, real men get Blown!!!!!!!!!!! j/p!!!!

shimmy_yaz
02-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by 03EP3SiHB

thats good i like that

PAPITUYO326
02-11-2004, 09:31 PM

hehe thats profile worthy :D

ViViDPeArL
02-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by chunky
there are several people running the bottle. 50 shot is easy to do, i think there was a guy on here that ran a 150 shot and ran 13's with it + boltons.

i don't buy 150 shot with bolt-ons...did he have a bolt on V8?

03EP3SiHB
02-11-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by ViViDPeArL
i don't buy 150 shot with bolt-ons...did he have a bolt on V8?

It can be done, I,H,E, and maybe LSD with 150 shot of NOS is highly possible, 150 shot of NOS is serious business. Don't know how long the motor will stand up to that, but I like my saying "Bottles are for Babies, Real Men are BLOWN!!!" Anyways hope that helps out a little....:) ;) :D

chubbychu
02-11-2004, 10:31 PM
than what are the naturally aspirated people?

ViViDPeArL
02-11-2004, 10:31 PM
blown is the same...you're adding on stuff that alters the motor...you should stay stock and work with what you have by rasing compression, timing, etc....

Vertigo
02-11-2004, 11:51 PM
You just got that saying off an old hot rod t-shirt. Most people don't use nitrous because they are afraid of it. HP to $$ value, is better than SC or Turbo.

KeNnYtAkEr
02-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Hahaha thats jokes man.

Anyways for the nos Most canadians don't use it is becaue it's illegal here. If the cops find u with a bottle it's bye bye to ur ride. And by tthe time u can get it back it'll be striped clean. so no pt. risking it here. And i guess if ur the clumsy type u shouldn't handle nos either u might burn urself. haha just remember lefty losey righty tighty.

sniperSI
02-12-2004, 09:29 AM
I've seen 2 guys w/ SI's at the local track here both with 75 shots. 1 ran 14.8 other guy ran 13 something (high 13s)

I would run nitrous if i had anymoney!

ViViDPeArL
02-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by KeNnYtAkEr

And i guess if ur the clumsy type u shouldn't handle nos either u might burn urself. haha just remember lefty losey righty tighty.

i was thinking if i got it, i would get a remote bottle opener, WOT micro switch so nitrous only works at WOT, and on top of that, a button to active the nitrous cuz the si in 1st and 2nd is good, but 3rd gear is hurting...so once i go to 3rd, SLAM on the gas, then push the little red button...

Vertigo
02-12-2004, 10:26 AM
If your going to use the little red button, then why do you need the WOT micro switch? If you only plan on spraying in 3rd gear, just wire up the button. You will be at WOT anyway whenever you start spraying. Just wondering?

bustedteg95
02-12-2004, 11:44 AM
150 shot is very possible, but your engine will only hold up so long before it pops. I have a friend with a del sol that sprays a 100 in second and sprays 150 in 3rd. runs about mid to low 13's with good tires. Nitros is a gamble, you better know what the hell your doing when you put it on or it can be disasterous.

SiR_d1
02-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by PAPITUYO326
hehe thats profile worthy :D

it is already, it belongs to Jester.

He's had that for a while now

chet
02-12-2004, 11:54 AM
I forget who it was. . .one of the first guys on the site to run nitrous--blew his engine. Was it bioevolve? Someone chime in here. Personally, I am staying away from it. I don't really like drag racing all that much. And it won't help me much in auto-x. Never tried it though, kinda like quelludes.

HARRY POTTER
02-12-2004, 11:55 AM
nitrous? turbo? nitrous? turbo? nitrous? what ever happened to good old "ALL MOTOR" Natural Aspriation?? is it illegal nowadays to be NA? :D :D :D

ViViDPeArL
02-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Vertigo
If your going to use the little red button, then why do you need the WOT micro switch? If you only plan on spraying in 3rd gear, just wire up the button. You will be at WOT anyway whenever you start spraying. Just wondering?

cuz, i don't trust only my finger :D gotta have the safety of the WOT micro switch as well

03 Hatchy Back
02-12-2004, 03:11 PM
If anyone is interested in nitrous I have parts from Nitrous Express, All that is needed is a bottle and a connecting hose for install and it would be a complete "kit"
$275 shipped
O.B.O

raiyo
02-12-2004, 03:16 PM
I never understood the size of NOS. What's the difference from a 50, 75, 100, 150 bottle shot? I always thought you have like 50 shots till it's empty. Some say it's safe to run a 50, but not a 150. Teacher, I have a question...

G-J
02-12-2004, 03:26 PM
How about this...

Everytime you hit the button, its comparable to about 1000 miles of wear on the engine.

No, I didnt make that up. Thats was a direct quote from my old sponsor when talking about squeezing my 95 Cobra. If you get it, use it liberally.

Note:
50 shot is 50 hp
100 shot is 100hp
etc.

ViViDPeArL
02-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by G-J
How about this...

Everytime you hit the button, its comparable to about 1000 miles of wear on the engine.

No, I didnt make that up. Thats was a direct quote from my old sponsor when talking about squeezing my 95 Cobra. If you get it, use it liberally.

Note:
50 shot is 50 hp
100 shot is 100hp
etc.

if you're conservative with it...engine wear shouldn't be a factor... majority of the time...you can make 1/3 more hp safely...it's when you get stupid and say...motor puts out 160hp, and you throw a 75 shot in it and you have no mods...that's where you run into problems and you hear the horror stories.

Vertigo
02-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by raiyo
I never understood the size of NOS. What's the difference from a 50, 75, 100, 150 bottle shot? I always thought you have like 50 shots till it's empty. Some say it's safe to run a 50, but not a 150. Teacher, I have a question...
The shot sizes are the amount of expected HP. You just change out the jets to ajust the amount of shot. If your using a 50 shot, you should be able to make approx. 10-15 1/4 runs on one full bottle.

Originally posted by ViViDPeArL
if you're conservative with it...engine wear shouldn't be a factor... majority of the time...you can make 1/3 more hp safely...it's when you get stupid and say...motor puts out 160hp, and you throw a 75 shot in it and you have no mods...that's where you run into problems and you hear the horror stories.
Our engines put out 160 hp. I wouldn't go any higher than a 80 shot on stock parts(internals, fuel system, ingition). That is half the HP the engine produces. Also, when people dont use it conservatively, that's when horror stories happen.

DyNastySi
02-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Im just about done with my NX kit. Only thing left to do is mount the bottle and run the line. I had a choice between hondata or nitrous. I wanted more power, not a higher redline(would be nice tho). So nitrous was the way to go. Cost is cheaper also. I bought my kit for 500.00. As far as wear and tear on the engine. I'm only going to use the 35 shot for now(to scared to try anything bigger). Im not saying its not going to affect it or anything. Just a little bit slower than what a 50 or a 75 would do. For legal issues. Isnt it ok to have it in your car unless you have the bottle turned on? Or, maybe not have the line connected to the bottle?

raiyo
02-12-2004, 11:50 PM
I'm dont know much about NOS, but there are 35 shot bottles? Guess they aren't to common in cars, heheh.

Is it safe/okay to install NOS on complete stock engine?

Vertigo
02-13-2004, 03:07 AM
DyNastySi- You should be able to run a 50 shot no problem. As for the legal issues, wht the cops don't know will not hurt them. They can only search your car if they have probable cause. Like if they thing you have drugs or guns and stuff in the hatch.

Raiyo- The way to determine the Hp(shot)amount is with different size jets. N/X provides you a chart to go by to determine the right jeting for the amount of shot you want. Bottle sizes come in 5lb(sneaky peak, hidden),like under Vin Diesel's passenger side seat iin the F&F...lol! Standard size is 10lb bottle. They also have 15lb and 20lb bottles avalable. Bigger bottle = more nitrous = longer lasting. You can install a 50 shot kit on any car made today and it will be just fine. That is providing you followed the directions set forth by the manufacture.

raiyo
02-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Someone find a Fire Extinguisher that looks exact like a NOS bottle. hehe. 50 shot fire extinguisher, here i cum. :cool:

Vertigo
02-13-2004, 03:36 PM
Just paint the bottle to look like a fire extinguisher. I've seen bottles painted up like Corona and Bud Light bottles.