PDA

View Full Version : skunk2 catback install question...

Frestall
02-11-2004, 11:33 PM
I just installed my skunk2 catback. I was so damn excited to go for a ride, took it around the block for maybe like a mile or so. Theres a really bad burning smell coming from around the middle of the car... is that typical? Is it just a break in kinda thing for the exhaust? I'm worried about it, I've only installed an exhaust on my truck before and it was just the muffler. Can someone settle my doubts?

Vertigo
02-11-2004, 11:40 PM
After i installed mine, i started it and let it warm up. If you were hard on it(which you were), the smell is common. It is either the packing getting broke in or some of the chemicals burning off the piping. It is typical to get that smell with new exhaust, expecially a header. Now how do you like the exhaust? Did the silencer come with yours?

Frestall
02-11-2004, 11:49 PM
yup... I was glad to see I got it after a couple people said they didn't. The silencer is awesome. It helps quiet it down when you are just cruising around, but when you get into high rpms that thing still screams. The only thing I don't like is that I live around millions of speedbumps. Since the piping hangs a little low around the midpipe, I have to creep over them. Hopefully when I get 17's it will bring it up a little bit. Awesome exhaust though, would definitely recommend it.

Vertigo
02-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Glad to hear that! I live around a few speedbumps myself. The height of my car doesn't help either. I have to cross them sideways. I feel like i'm still driving my old mini truck. Congrats on the exhaust!

goy091
02-12-2004, 01:37 AM
the burning is probably the gaskets, junk in the pipes or on them. nothing to worry about. my old Apexi WS on my GSR did that when i first got it. should go away in a couple days with moderate driving.

!@#$%
02-12-2004, 04:41 PM
same with my skunk2. the smell went away after it idled to normal operating temperatures. i love it.