PDA

View Full Version : Gas Milage on 2004 Civic Si all Stock

portugeetex
02-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Hey there, Im new to the forums, used to be active in the honda/acura club forums, but i just bought a new 2004 Civic Si and i figured you guys would know alot more about it...... so anyways my car is about a month old now, and i have 2000 miles on it now.. my question is i wanted to know if anyone has one of the new Si's 2002+ and what kinda of gas milage they were gettin? im currently getting about 25 miles on the highway. (((bout 230-260 miles on a tank, but when i fill up its only about 10.5 gallons each time, and i know it has nearly 14 gallons in the tank. but my gas warning light comes on just short of the E mark.))) which is all i drive everyday to work and back. bout 85 miles aday to work and back. and it just seams like i should be getting better gas milage... i dont really beat on the car, atleast not to much anyways not this soon. ive only redlined it 4 times since i had it. and when im on the highway i drive at about 80mph.. so im thinking i should be getting a little bit better gas milage. so i could hear some info on other ppls rides like mine it would be very helpful. thanks

portugeetex

BlairSpeed
02-12-2004, 02:18 PM
try using the "search" tab using "gas mileage" or something of that nature. You'll find that alot of your questions can be answered that way.;)

....But to answer your question:D , I have a 2002 si and with mixed driving (freeway/city) I get around 250-300 miles per tank, using 91 octane.
My gas light always seems to come on just below a 1/4 tank but I dont think its very accurate. Ive ran out of gas a few times because of it.:o I think the Si needs to have about a gallon of fuel in it otherwise it has a hard time starting, thats my experience anyways.

Welcome to the board! :)

Z26
02-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Welcome to the site. I have gotten as much as 390 to a tank but that was pushing it. The normal range for me is 300-320 and I fill the tank as much it will take, usually around 11.5-12 gallons. Cheers, Scott

PS, the search button will set you free.........:D

enecks
02-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Your mileage should go up as you put more miles on the car; that's been my experience anyway. And BlairSpeed and Z26, about the search feature, you can't search for 3-letter words anymore...rather annoying.

andy
02-12-2004, 02:49 PM
If you want to search for a three letter word, add "*" to the end
of it. i.e. "gas* AND mileage".

My mileage was anywhere from 240-300 when I first got the car, depending
on city/highway driving. I seem to average about 26-28mpg overall.
I just got Hondata about 1K miles ago and so far, I think the mileage
is slightly improving. But time will tell.

Also, don't worry about the gas light - I get the same thing. Light
will come on and I'll only be able to put in 8.5-9.5 gallons in.

DavidT
02-12-2004, 02:58 PM
I get around 29-32 MPG all freeway driving. Around town I usually get 28-29. When it was new I got slightly less figures, 26-27 around town and 29 on the freeway.

fsugatorbait
02-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
I get around 29-32 MPG all freeway driving. Around town I usually get 28-29. When it was new I got slightly less figures, 26-27 around town and 29 on the freeway.

Ive had my new 02 for about the last 4 months now, 6k on the clock. I drive hard, redlining easily once a day and average about 250 a tank. Since hondata about 1k miles its improved to about 270 or so. Depending on driving habits I've seen upwards of 300 a couple times, but you sound like your right were you should be. Its only gonna get 32 mpg if you drive 60 mph for the whole tank.

Dunrick
02-12-2004, 03:13 PM
I don't really think driving 80 hurts the gas mileage. Thats around 4.2k rpms I believe. It seems to not really effect it at all for me.

Who knows...

skinsfsu
02-12-2004, 03:22 PM
hey welcome. I have a 02 si and i have had it for 14 months and have 17k on it now. my mileage hasnt really gotten any better. i get around 230 to 260 miles on a tank. I'm like u i really dont drive too hard except once in awhile. if u notice around 70 mph mine is at 3700 rpm. its at 4100 to 4200 at 80. the way its geared if its reving that high u wont get greta mileage. i do get alot better mileage in town. i had a 98 ex coupe before and would get around 350 miles per tank. it just doesnt seem that for the amount of performance u get u should get alot better mileage. by the way i have no mods. good luck.

Zero Three Si
02-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Since everybody is telling you "use the search button" like the assholes that they are, I'll give you a solid answer.

1. If you are driving 80mph that is why you are getting crappy gas mileage.

2. Like FSU said...you have to drive 60 miles an hour to get good gas mileage.

3. I drive 80 miles on the highway every day and I get almost ALWAYS 230 miles before the light comes on. Which would equate to 23mpg.

4. When your light comes on, you should have 3 gallons of gas left, or about 60-70 miles till empty.

portugeetex
02-12-2004, 04:09 PM
wow i got more answers from you guys then from clubsi.com, thanks alot i appreciate it. the reason im asking this question is because i had a 98 acura integra gs, all stock and it had 100800 miles when it got totaled in jan. =*( RIP, and i would always drive 80mph@3500 rpms on the highway and would always get 29 miles a gallon sometimes better but never usually lower. and im thinking to myself that i have a brand spankin new car, and that the milage should be alot better then what im gettin now. =\ im sure by now that its pretty much broken in. i still try not to beat on it a whole lot, but i am just now startin to have a lil fun with it. it just sucks to know that i had an older car that got better milage then the new one. sigh but i look forward to hearing what other ppl have to say. thanks again

bigace
02-12-2004, 06:48 PM
In my experience, 26-28mpg at 80mph is normal for a stock SI. If you want more, go the speed limit, and languish in the boredom of 65mph. Alot of people that say they get 26-28 STREET do so because I believe they don't live in urban areas such as Los Angeles. Its impossible to get anything close to EPA quotes in stop and go traffic. In more remote areas like Thousand Oaks, where the streets are 3 miles between lights and have limits of 50, mileage drastically improves. Anyways your car and your driving are fine :) The more conservatively you drive, the better mileage you will get, within reason. They EP seems to shrug off all but the most aggresive driving as it relates to mileage. Pure racing I can easily get it below 20mpg, but nothing compares to the 8mpg my old Crown Vic got, so I'm happy either way :)

Ace

DavidT
02-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Oh yeah I forgot to add, surprisingly my mileage has gone up since I've gotten the Hondata reflash as well. And I do average 32 MPG doing 65-70 MPH on long trips. Easy. I filled up and set my trip meter to zero at Torrance, Ca and when I stopped at 320 miles or so to fill up on the way home I barely used 10 gallons of fuel. ;)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
02-12-2004, 07:20 PM
FYI, you will get better gas mileage...ALOT better by using regular instead of premium...but your car will be a little stinkier, engine will sound louder, and you'll lose a couple HP.

KingGreg86
02-12-2004, 08:29 PM
i get about 190 mixed driving
230 "grandma" style Driving
and last tank of gas i got 164.6(the thing is i car pool 4 ppl including me to and from school everyday, 2 of us being larger than avg:D )

portugeetex
02-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
FYI, you will get better gas mileage...ALOT better by using regular instead of premium...but your car will be a little stinkier, engine will sound louder, and you'll lose a couple HP.

Well ive tried a mixture of both, on this tank im using 94 octane gas (sunoco) and i really havent noticed any difference.... but why on earth would using 87 octane gas give me better milage, i mean isnt premium gas cleaner and better for the car. i dont know to much about gas but id like to think that premium would be better for my engine and not affect the gas milage... someone please enlighten me with out makin me feel dumb lol.

KingGreg86
02-12-2004, 08:55 PM
i think it is b/c the engine was designed to run on lower octane gas...that is when it is most efficient. Not sure though but that is just my .02:D

ep3hatchattack
02-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Furthermore, you asked if any of us have 02-up SI's....... YEAH

Thats what 99% of us have....... This site only talks about those..... Nothing else unless its in the off-topic..... thats why we love it so much.... take care, dave

phatfreeza
02-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by bigace
In my experience, 26-28mpg at 80mph is normal for a stock SI. If you want more, go the speed limit, and languish in the boredom of 65mph. Alot of people that say they get 26-28 STREET do so because I believe they don't live in urban areas such as Los Angeles. Its impossible to get anything close to EPA quotes in stop and go traffic. In more remote areas like Thousand Oaks, where the streets are 3 miles between lights and have limits of 50, mileage drastically improves. Anyways your car and your driving are fine :) The more conservatively you drive, the better mileage you will get, within reason. They EP seems to shrug off all but the most aggresive driving as it relates to mileage. Pure racing I can easily get it below 20mpg, but nothing compares to the 8mpg my old Crown Vic got, so I'm happy either way :)

Ace

brings up a good point...i commute to school and i'll be LUCKY if i dont' hit traffic... but since i'm not, i hit tons of good ol' LA traffic... my mileage dips cuz of this... so i'm HAPPY when i get 26-28 mpg... oh yeah... you'll definitely see improvements in fuel efficiency as you put more miles on your car!

portugeetex
02-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by phatfreeza
brings up a good point...i commute to school and i'll be LUCKY if i dont' hit traffic... but since i'm not, i hit tons of good ol' LA traffic... my mileage dips cuz of this... so i'm HAPPY when i get 26-28 mpg... oh yeah... you'll definitely see improvements in fuel efficiency as you put more miles on your car!

yeah i commute to boston each morning so i feel ya with the traffic. im sure we have probably either the 1st, or 2nd worst traffic in the country lol. damn big dig didnt help anything!!!!!!!!!!! ooh wait it cut all of 2seconds off of my commute, big whoooptie freakin dooooo lol.

portugeetex
05-10-2004, 10:15 PM
hey does anybody know about the resistor trick in the ecu to get better milage????????????

GCheung55
05-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Hey guys. Well, I usually get around 28-36 depending on how I'm driving. If I'm not speeding around town and the freeway then it's a good 32 or so.

Having owned the car for a year, I've learned the light goes off after around 9-10 gallons. So once the light is on you'll have around 2 or 3 gallons left, which equates to about 30 miles per gallon left.

For a saftey, I measure total mileage with A Mileage counter, and use B as the second counter when the light goes off. Just clear B as soon as the light goes off and you'll know how much mileage you'll have left to the gallon.

mdoyle
05-11-2004, 10:48 AM
I average about 29 MPG in mixed driving with 91 octane. I try to drive conservatively, but that usually doesn't work. I also use the AC daily during rush hour. Much better gas mileage than my Prelude.

Z26
05-11-2004, 12:12 PM
I cant believe some of you get such bad mileage. By no means am I soft on my si but I have never, ever gotten worse than 300 miles per tank. I also know how long I can getaway with the gas light on. I can safely go 60 miles easy. I love to play the gas game with cars, I have lost twice since I bought the civic. :D

cwy
05-11-2004, 02:02 PM
I drive '02 Si w/31K miles running 87 octane (Chevron & Shell) with mostly freeway driving here in LA/OC. My daily commute averages 85-120 miles per day. Average speed is about 75mph, but I get stop & go in rush hour. I don't ever drive it hard and shift below 4500rpm (usually at 3000). Since by now you figured out I drive like a grandma, my MPG is pretty good... 32MPG typically (350-370 per tank). I've gotten as high as 410 miles, but as low as 280 miles. Last, I use my AC about half the time while on the freeway.

Anyone know if there are devices/additives that truly increase fuel efficiency? Devices like the Tornado doesn't seem consistent to warrant shelling out $70 to only "maybe" gain 1-2 mpg.

BarracksSi
05-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by cwy
My daily commute averages 85-120 miles per day.

My god...

If I drive 120 miles away from home, I'm about 119 miles farther away from work than when I started.

Helps to be single, though -- I can move wherever I need to without worrying about schools & stuff like that.