PDA

View Full Version : anyone whos ever been in a crash/ or knows laws etc

efcee
09-28-2002, 11:59 PM
ok i have a situation
i got a pizza from "yellow mushroom" (local pizza resteraunt) and then was pulling out and knicked this van and it looked like i only hit the rear drivers side tire with my front passenger corner of my car ( it was dark out btw) so i got out went inside found the owner of the van, told him what happened and he came out, looked and said 'no big deal' i was like "so its ok?" and he didnt seem to care.

and then my friend (who works at the pizza place) tells me that the guy came back in after he was going to leave and asked who i was because there was a fairly deep scratch also that he says he saw

but earlier he said 'oh its no biggie' so can he still call insurance or take action against me? because he already said no big deal about the incident

so should i just forget about this and go on with life
or worry about getting a call within the next week from him asking for my insurance info....

also btw
i know the guy also he is a friends friend 's dad ive been over to his house a couple times for a graduation party things like that and talked to him...

sicivic2002
09-29-2002, 12:44 AM
Um technically I think you would still be responsible. Just work it to were maybe you can just pay for the damage intead of going through insurance.

todaCspec
09-29-2002, 07:22 AM
get on w/your life, it never happened......

MPgrunt81
09-29-2002, 09:25 AM
I don't think there's much that can legally be done if thereis no police report on the incident. He could claim it on his insurance but that would only affect him. You'd have to even admit fault for your insurance company to pay. He has no proof of anything really.... just imo

IceD out N CALI
09-29-2002, 10:14 AM
go on with your life but if he does call be prepared to fix his scratch. try to take care of it with your own money though.

ColinCivicSiR
09-29-2002, 12:06 PM
Up here in Canada, which may be similar even though it's canada.

You are require to make an accident report if the combined damage is over $1000 dollars (thats Canadian Dollars, Not much damage to be over that).

I would not just go on with your life. If you ignore him or fail to do the right thing, he may go to his insurance company and/or the police.

If he goes to his insurance company then your rates could go up, because they will track you down and go after the money, if your insuance has to do any work on the claim they most likely will put your rates up.

If the police get involved you will have to make a report, you could also get a few tickets, for backing unsafely or driving without due care and attention (you have similar laws down there).

You could also get a ticket for failing to provide information to the other driver in an accident or in this case an unattended vehicle in an accident. Even though you talked to him and he said it was no biggy you still are required to exchange info, if the police have to do any running around they might write this ticket too. (you will probably get off that one in court though if the other party is willing to come to court on your behalf.

So do the right thing and take care of this, it is better than waiting to see what happens.

SlickShoes
09-29-2002, 09:02 PM
Yeah, here in California the law is $400 in damages and you need to alert the DMV about it. No police needed unless its over $1000 or there's personal injuries, I believe (not sure about that one).

For future reference, do yourself a favor and keep a little cheap-o disposable camera in your car. If anything like this happens, or someone hits you. Just take a buttload of pictures of him, the car (license plate), and any damage. Will save you big time if they try to say something like you "totalled it and then bailed".

It may be that he realized that now he has an excuse to blame you for all the other little knicks and scratches, and figures your insurance will just pay for it all. He's probably not trying to be a dick to your personally, but its a free ticket for him.

NemesisITR
09-29-2002, 09:44 PM
For Texas, if it happened in a parking lot it is nobody's fault. He can say whatever he wants here, but the cops would tell him to bad. His insurance would have to prove that you did it, and since it was such a minor thing they'd probably tell him to go FUCK himself!!! WELCOME TO TEXAS!!!