PDA

View Full Version : help me help me... is this right??

toSi_orNot_toSi
02-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Hey guys... I got for X-mas a set of skunk2 adjustable coilovers and a buddy of mine who goes to UTI installed them for me last night (I have no knowledge of suspension other than OOOooooo its bumpy) Well the problem I have with this is that everytime i turn my wheel a loud popping noise comes from the right front wheel well. We pulled everything apart and everything looks to be assembled correctly. The directions that skunk2 sent us were about as shitty as a used roll of TP so we did the best we could given what we had and it turned out REAL nice... only prollem is the popping sounds... is that normal for it to pop while its settling?

THANKS

jaydub
02-13-2004, 10:36 AM
lubricate the top portion where the spring meets the strut bearing, that should help. My teins popped a lot at first, but it did go away eventually.

Eee Pee
02-13-2004, 04:51 PM
I keep reading, "Proper torque on the strut nut is essential."
Too much, it binds (and pops), too little, it rattles.

dofu
02-13-2004, 04:55 PM
eh... thats jus the coilovers settin into place... it'll go away in like 2 weeks or so

Siman
02-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Eee Pee
I keep reading, "Proper torque on the strut nut is essential."
Too much, it binds (and pops), too little, it rattles.

mine are poping too....I wonder if i compressed them too much too?:rolleyes:

k20hatch
02-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Mine poped for a pretty long time, finally stopped! But every ep i have seen lowered with coilovers had a that same popping noise, some times it would do it loud, silent, and sometimes not at all!

toSi_orNot_toSi
02-13-2004, 05:20 PM
Yea i was just worried that somethings rubbin bad or something. we were making jokes bout it last night... "WHATS UP GIRL!" *bing bing bing bing* "eewwwwwww"

shimmy_yaz
02-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
Mine poped for a pretty long time, finally stopped! But every ep i have seen lowered with coilovers had a that same popping noise, some times it would do it loud, silent, and sometimes not at all!

How exactly does it make a SILENT popping NOISE? lol j/k :D

Thats nice to know thta this is a normal thing for when i can finally get coilovers. I would have been freaking out too.

Vertigo
02-13-2004, 05:49 PM
My GC's have not made a sound from day one. I guess i'm lucky.

zum_zum
02-13-2004, 05:57 PM
the thrust bearing in the upper mount is binding.

on a strut suspension, the strut body turns with the wheels and the springs are riding on the struts.

the thrust bearing allows the springs and top hat to turn freely. otherwise the twisting motion is trying to twist the spring and the popping is the spring releasing from the twisting.

toSi_orNot_toSi
02-16-2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by zum_zum
the thrust bearing in the upper mount is binding.

on a strut suspension, the strut body turns with the wheels and the springs are riding on the struts.

the thrust bearing allows the springs and top hat to turn freely. otherwise the twisting motion is trying to twist the spring and the popping is the spring releasing from the twisting.

so what do i do to correct this problem?

jaydub
02-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by jaydub
lubricate the top portion where the spring meets the strut bearing, that should help. My teins popped a lot at first, but it did go away eventually.

DeadMonkey
02-16-2004, 12:22 PM
No, lubricating it is only a bandaid and will not actually fix the problem. You need to loosen the top nut and retorque it to factory specs. That will get rid of the popping. I've posted on this a few times already. ;)

jaydub
02-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by DeadMonkey
No, lubricating it is only a bandaid and will not actually fix the problem. You need to loosen the top nut and retorque it to factory specs. That will get rid of the popping. I've posted on this a few times already. ;)

Umm, no. Lubricating is as important as loosening and re-torquing the strut bolt.

toSi_orNot_toSi
02-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by DeadMonkey

does anyone happen to know what the factory torque specs are?

MI EP
02-17-2004, 07:37 AM
whoever installed the coilover kit could have stripped ur tie rod end just a guess or ur spring may not be compressed enouph but should go away after everything settles

Si3
02-17-2004, 08:10 AM
i had a similar problem when i installed my srpings. the whole strut assembley can fit in several different ways, there are white scraped markings on the top bolts, make sure they are in the correct way.

good luck!

-=-A.J.-=-

civicracer1128
02-17-2004, 10:08 AM
my teins pop as well. its annoying to say the least. i pmd deadmonkey to see if he knew anymore about torquing the strut nut, anybody else happen to know the torque rating for that?????????? also can i loosen it and retighten without taking the whole strut assembly out and compressing the spring??????????? any help would be GREALY appriciated.

toSi_orNot_toSi
02-20-2004, 01:38 AM
i was told factory spec is 18 lbs

civicracer1128
02-22-2004, 07:12 PM
bump so we can fix this once and for all.

integrator43
02-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Si3, zum_zum, and jaydub are all on the right track. if you look at the top of your Strut assembly there is an arrow on the upper mount and one on your upper spring perch. these must be lined up. these will also point to the outside of the car, also the gap that the knuckle mates to the strut. the next thing is torque the top nut correctly. lastly, when you lower the car from jacks-jackstands, make sure everything stays lined up. if everything is not lined up you will hear the popping that everybody speaks of. these tips should be used for ANY MacPherson Strut type of vehicle, not just EP3's. I hope this helps everybody! if there is more discussion needed i can post pics of a proper installation.

jaydub
02-26-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by integrator43
Si3, zum_zum, and jaydub are all on the right track. if you look at the top of your Strut assembly there is an arrow on the upper mount and one on your upper spring perch. these must be lined up. these will also point to the outside of the car, also the gap that the knuckle mates to the strut. the next thing is torque the top nut correctly. lastly, when you lower the car from jacks-jackstands, make sure everything stays lined up. if everything is not lined up you will hear the popping that everybody speaks of. these tips should be used for ANY MacPherson Strut type of vehicle, not just EP3's. I hope this helps everybody! if there is more discussion needed i can post pics of a proper installation.
Excellent information. As far as the arrows, you say the are to point toward the outside of the car, not toward the front? If so, I might have some work to do. :o

integrator43
02-26-2004, 10:53 AM
yes this is correct, arrow to the outside!

jaydub
02-26-2004, 11:13 AM
SHIT! http://www.dubfusion.com/smilies/rofl.gif