PDA

View Full Version : How to drive your Ep by snubnose

snubnose
02-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Hi, I thought that everyone would like some driving lessons. I hope that this helps you enjoy your Ep.

1. Always shift gently and slowly. You should never slam your gears into place, but use a light, guiding action. Hint: Slamming and grinding your gears will not help you drive any faster.

2. Always wait 5 seconds with your clutch depressed before putting your Ep into reverse. If you do, it will always be easy to shift into reverse.

3. Never shift into first unless you are completely stopped. The Ep does not bog in second, even at three mph.

I hope you enjoyed your driving lessons. The Ep is a superb machine, it deserves to be treated right.

Dunrick
02-14-2004, 08:39 AM
you dont have to always be completely stopped. It will be fine to do it anywhere under 7mph. 2nd gear does also bog at 3mph. Thats why we have a first gear. 3mph is really low in the rpms, and will lug your engine. That is worse than riding out first gear. This is especially bad if you got passengers.

denmah
02-14-2004, 08:39 AM
werd maybee if i follow these guidelines mine wont spend so much time at the dealership.:eek:

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
02-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by snubnose
Hi, I thought that everyone would like some driving lessons. I hope that this helps you enjoy your Ep.

1. Always shift gently and slowly. You should never slam your gears into place, but use a light, guiding action. Hint: Slamming and grinding your gears will not help you drive any faster.

I Beg to differ, shift like that at the track and you'll be a 17 second wonder.

2. Always wait 5 seconds with your clutch depressed before putting your Ep into reverse. If you do, it will always be easy to shift into reverse.

I never wait that long and I never grind.

3. Never shift into first unless you are completely stopped. The Ep does not bog in second, even at three mph.

Yes it does bog at three mph.

I hope you enjoyed your driving lessons. The Ep is a superb machine, it deserves to be treated right.

Nice try, but IMO the EP deserves to be driven HARD, not like a grandma, perhaps you should've bought a Toyota Prius? :D

snubnose
02-14-2004, 09:06 AM
"IMO the Ep deserves to be driven hard...."

Driven hard yes, but shifted gently.

Vertigo
02-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Those are some keys to longgevity. You can be rough with the shifting and will not grind the gears if you know how to drive. I always depress the clutch, put it in first before i go to reverse. No grinding. Sure the EP will take off in second, but would you want too? It is hard on everything to bog the engine like that.

STP03BlueSI
02-14-2004, 09:15 AM
I drive hard everyday. 4-6k shifts every gear, I dont grind as much as I use to.

:D Drive Hard, Drink Hard. Mikes Hard Lemonade;)

Peking
02-14-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Vertigo
Those are some keys to longgevity. You can be rough with the shifting and will not grind the gears if you know how to drive. I always depress the clutch, put it in first before i go to reverse. No grinding. Sure the EP will take off in second, but would you want too? It is hard on everything to bog the engine like that.

Yes, and it will take off in second. Yet not as easily when compared to the Type-S.

Also Adam you have a A2, I think you can get away with putting her into first at a slow speed. My friend can do it in his Type-S, while I won't dare.

!@#$%
02-14-2004, 09:25 AM
"IMO the Ep deserves to be driven hard...."

Driven hard yes, but shifted gently.

precisely.

Gearhead Geek
02-14-2004, 10:46 AM
I downshift into first all the time. So long as you know how to drive a standard well, and don't do it at ridiculously high speeds (above 10mph) it goes in fine, doesn't grind, and doesn't whine out. As for shifting soft, well, no. The slower you go, the more rpms you lose durring a shift. Now, granted grinding isn't good, but, if you know what you're doing with a clutch and a stick, this won't be a problem (except for crappy second gear of course *mutter*damn honda*mutter*).
Finally, as for reverse, well, you can wait 5 seconds, you can put it in another gear first, or you can just go for it, and if it doesn't go in, just release the clutch/try again. Reverse has ALWAYS been a problem in Honda's. My 92 Accord does it, my friend's 98 Civic EX does it, my other friend's 91 Si hatch does it, and just about every other person I know/have known that drives a standard honda does it. Unless you enjoy doing reverse donuts or such, I really wouldn't worry about it.

RockEP_SS**
02-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Any "How to drive a turbo EP" write ups ;) ?!? :p :D

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

bigace
02-17-2004, 05:14 PM

There is a difference between shifting quickly and shifting violently, i.e. slamming and grinding. The latter can be damaging, the former isn't.

I agree, then everyone will think you have a Ferrari-like paddle shift system that makes the car impossible to park. This isn't necessary, just stop completely and pop it in with care and precision, as you would any other gear.

Never say never, especially at Sunset and La Cienega Blvds :) Again, the car will give you feedback as to whether you're fucking up or not. Shifting into first can be done at low speeds but again, care and precision, as with any other shift; its just a different type of shift as it relates to tempo and effort.

VividDreams
02-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by bigace

very good, i agree 100%

phatfreeza
02-17-2004, 10:07 PM
i get major boggage at 3mph in 2nd :mad:

Surprise
02-17-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by phatfreeza
i get major boggage at 3mph in 2nd :mad:
Try slipping the clutch;)