PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic's know??

civic hatch boi
09-29-2002, 11:20 AM
Ok my dad's a mechanic..
he's the general mechanic.. that does like oil changes, transmission, and finds problems, etc...
are general mechanics supposed to know how to change springs??
cuz if so, i would just have my dad do it for free..
any feedback?

BlasTech
09-29-2002, 12:10 PM
Ask him, to "help you make a tutorial" with pics and everything.

civic hatch boi
09-29-2002, 01:44 PM
wut? ur answer didn't make sense to my Question.
i wanted to know he would know how to do spring install..

BlasTech
09-29-2002, 01:49 PM
If he doesn't do suspension, he probably knows someone who can give you a good deal!

If he can, try to get some pics and make a how-to!

TEKBRAIN
09-29-2002, 02:29 PM
I don't understand.
Why should we give you that answer?
It is best to ask your father. He knows if he knows...

civic hatch boi
09-29-2002, 03:17 PM
well.. i wasn't talking about my father in specific..
i was talking about general mechanics in general ..
of course i woudl ask him but id on't really talk to him often cuz im in a diff city.

ottawa_ep
09-29-2002, 04:06 PM
Well im not a mechanic and i have done suspension on about 5 different cars... I am only assuming but it shouldnt be any harder for the ep... So your dad or any mechanic shouldnt have any probs doing it... Or better yet gor get yourself a spring compressor and do it yourself :) you will learn quick enough

SlickShoes
09-29-2002, 08:53 PM
Yeah, spring swaps are easy. You just need a spring compressor, and since I see you're also in San Diego, I know for a fact that they rent them at most Kragens for like $5/day.

Just remember that you'll need to drive on the new springs for a few days and let them settle. Most springs will drop another 1/4 to 1/2 inch after 100 or so miles. After that, don't forget to go and get an alignment. You'll need it.

civic hatch boi
09-29-2002, 09:34 PM
slick.. do you know how to do it?? if so, wanna help a brother out? hehehe.. im poor so im trying not to get a prof install.. would you charge me?

SlickShoes
09-29-2002, 09:50 PM
Actually, if you wanted to come to the next Focus tech session here in SD, we're doing at least 2 spring swaps on SVTF's (including mine), a short shifter install, and changing out brake pads on a couple other cars. Its probably just going to be 5-10 people getting together to work on stuff, nothing huge. Its just easier for all of us since we just help each other out, learn how to do this stuff, and share the cost of renting the tools (if needed).
And since its really all the same on these smaller cars now, I'd be more than happy to help out.

Its probably not going to be until early-mid Oct though, since a few of us are still waiting on our springs. If you're still interested, I'll let you know once the date firms up a bit.

02_EP3
09-30-2002, 02:40 AM
did my springs in about 4hrs total... with the help of a friend.

the rears were relatively easy... the fronts were pretty time consuming... damn Mac struts....spring compressor is a bonus.
just waiting for the sway kit now... hehheheh

todaCspec
09-30-2002, 05:33 AM
most general mechanics would know how to change springs,that's one of the easiest things to do on a car. direct bolt-on. if you're not sure and want to dio it yourself, just buy the service manual from Honda. it has picture diagrams for the entire car.