PDA

View Full Version : No More EP 4 Me

savesteve
02-15-2004, 04:17 PM
I hate to be leaving you guys, you're all great.

I've traded my 03 SI for an 04 SRT-4.

I know what your all thinking. It's a neon. And that's true.

But, it's a neon with 230HP :).

I'd like to thank everyone on this board whose helped me out answering questions and comments I've had.

I hope you guys continue to have fun with da EP.

For me it was an economical choice. I wanted a faster car than the EP, but to get the EP up as fast as I wanted I was going to have to totaly void the warrenty. Not an acceptable situation as this is my one and only ride to work.

Enter the SRT-4, while being a little more pricey, is much quicker.
Out of boost it's faster than my SI ever was. In boost it's almost like riding in an Evo.

Anyways guys I just wanted to say thanks.

Also I'll be posting up some of the parts I had on my SI for sale at some point. (I had a AEM V2 and Spoon Shifter knob w/ JDM Type-R shift boot.)

I'll post some pics of the SRT4 when I take em. I know you guys are all pic hounds :).

See ya around.

LHD_EP3
02-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Congrats! I would be very interested in the spoon knob and JDM boot.
Once I break even on the EP I too plan on trading it in for something a little quicker, probably a WRX.

Peking
02-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by savesteve
I hate to be leaving you guys, you're all great.I've traded my 03 SI for an 04 SRT-4.I know what your all thinking. It's a neon. And that's true.I'd like to thank everyone on this board whose helped me out answering questions and comments I've had.I hope you guys continue to have fun with da EP.For me it was an economical choice. I wanted a faster car than the EP, but to get the EP up as fast as I wanted I was going to have to totaly void the warrenty. Not an acceptable situation as this is my one and only ride to work.Enter the SRT-4, while being a little more pricey, is much quicker.
Out of boost it's faster than my SI ever was. In boost it's almost like riding in an Evo.

Sorry to be losing you. It might share the name, but it is no Neon. Congrats on your new car, be safe. And don't be a stranger.

EtherGhost
02-15-2004, 04:58 PM
How much for the AEM V2?

k20hatch
02-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Congrats on the srt4 man! My friend has one and its actually a really really fun car!! Keep us posted on the srt4 as well!!

VividDreams
02-15-2004, 06:50 PM
they sound great, but other than that i dont really like them. read my sig. and by sound great, i mean the exhaust, not the BOV.

!@#$%
02-15-2004, 06:55 PM
insurance that bad on the srt4?

savesteve
02-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by !@#$%
insurance that bad on the srt4?

It's about 10 bucks more a month than my EP was.

Vertigo
02-15-2004, 11:55 PM
I have been pondering the same though here of late. There are some reasons why trading for a srt wouldn't be good for me.
1)I'm a Honda/Acura freak
2)I'd lose my ass trading in the EP
3)Insurance might increase

SiR_d1
02-16-2004, 12:28 AM
sorry to see ya go and good luck with your new car

bayarea408
02-16-2004, 12:41 AM
i traded my 03 to stevens creek mitsubishi for a 03 EVO about 3 months go and i love it till this day and never had a regret :).

the funny thing is you will still see my 03 sitting at Stevens creek mitubishi for sale.. (~3k miles)

savesteve
02-16-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by bayarea408
i traded my 03 to stevens creek mitsubishi for a 03 EVO about 3 months go and i love it till this day and never had a regret :).

the funny thing is you will still see my 03 sitting at Stevens creek mitubishi for sale.. (~3k miles)

Yeah they gave me 13.5k for my EP. Seems like as ass reeming but there's no way I could sell it for that on the street so I took it.

STP03BlueSI
02-16-2004, 08:21 AM
What is that 3 people now that have gone from EP to

SKITTLE
:D

bayarea408
02-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by bayarea408

i had my 03 EP for 3 months... i bought it from Capital Honda for 15.5k + fees... i traded the car in with ~3k miles for 15.5k... and i got the Evo at 1k under MSRP :).

so basically i drove the EP for 3 months and lost only the tax :)... they are currently selling the EP for $18.9k which is way too high because i can go to carsdirect.com and get the car for around 17k.

DavidT
02-16-2004, 10:47 AM
I've driven a SRT4, with like 1400 miles on it. It was quick, I won't lie there but I wasn't all that impressed...I guess I was expecting more. Revving my car to 8k is much more fun that driving the SRT4 by far, I bounced off the limiter in first and second in the SRT4 cause it redlines only at 6 and fuel cut off is 6250. It does have a nice big torque band...but that's about it. I'd rather turbo my EP or drop in a K24 with turbo (To be fair with Neon's 2.4 turbo motor :D ) and be just as quick or quicker than the Neon. Probably will be cheaper than trading in my EP for a Neon too. If anyone is interested, I will post the video of my driving the Neon from like 0-100 MPH (It's worth watching cause the SRT4 is a quick little 4-banger :D )

bayarea408
02-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
I've driven a SRT4, with like 1400 miles on it. It was quick, I won't lie there but I wasn't all that impressed...I guess I was expecting more. Revving my car to 8k is much more fun that driving the SRT4 by far, I bounced off the limiter in first and second in the SRT4 cause it redlines only at 6 and fuel cut off is 6250. It does have a nice big torque band...but that's about it. I'd rather turbo my EP or drop in a K24 with turbo (To be fair with Neon's 2.4 turbo motor :D ) and be just as quick or quicker than the Neon. Probably will be cheaper than trading in my EP for a Neon too. If anyone is interested, I will post the video of my driving the Neon from like 0-100 MPH (It's worth watching cause the SRT4 is a quick little 4-banger :D )

i dont think the EP will be as fast as the SRT-4 even with a turbo installed. I think you have to do bottom end if you want the engine to last under the high boost. the total cost to have this done on the EP would be ~4-5k dollars and no less if you want it done right (lets assume it goes just as fast as a srt-4... the only thing is, if you spend $500 or less in upgrades for srt-4 it would smoke the EP once again....

savesteve
02-16-2004, 03:53 PM

My point exactly.

That's a lot of PITA to get it as quick as the SRT4.

And try taking your frankenstien K24 swap to a honda deal when it woun't start :).

Also this isn't going to be cheap lets take a look :
K24 :2,000
Regrind the bootsie K24 cams :500(?)
Monster Trubo w/ Intercooler :3000
Exhaust manifold w/ Trubo mount :400
Various piping / couplers :300(? could be cheaper or more expensive no clue)
ECU to control the beast "1200
Boost Gauge :80
Dyno Time :200 (For this kind of motor I asume your going to spend some good time on the dyno.)
Clutch / Flywheel replacement :600 (this is probly a little on the low side with this type of power)

So the total : $8280

Selling your A3 on ebay -1500

Grand Total : 6780

This may make it to 10 PSI or so and probly nearly 300+hp to the wheels with proper tuning.

Congradulations you've made a monster that only cost you 23780.
(17000 for the SI and 6780 for the beast)
(My SRT4 was 21498)

Now you have no warranty, and no help but your friends should something go wrong.

Now, this assumes you don't run to much boost. Cause at 11+ PSI your going to need another ~2k worth of pistons/rods and probly another 1k worth of sleeves so the K24 dosen't blow itself to peices.

heheh to each his own tho.

I need to get to work EVERY day :).

DavidT
02-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Uhh...don't wanna argue with you cause I do like SRT4s. But even the K20A3 with like say...a Greddy or Revhard turbo kit can lay down 13.8-13.9 second quarter mile times (Equivalent to a stock SRT4, but I see most kids at the track running high 14s only). Look at US_SI, do a search on videos and such and you'll find a video of someone here doing 13.8 on a Revhard turbo kit in their EP and that's only at 7 psi or so. And you can do a K24 turbo for much less than 8k, do a search and you'll see.

Good luck and have fun with your SRT4. I hope you bought Dodge's 7-year powertrain warranty :D

VividDreams
02-16-2004, 08:13 PM
I hope you bought Dodge's 7-year powertrain warranty :D

yeah really

andy
02-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Excellent choice in terms of a similarly-priced replacement. Those
SRT-4s are cool little cars. Still FWD, but oh well.

Take some pics/vids when you get a chance.

savesteve
02-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by VividDreams
yeah really

Don't worrie I did :)

PAPITUYO326
02-18-2004, 06:24 PM
those cars are best performance for buck

the numbers that engine puts out is sick

if it only had rwd or awd....omg itd pwn ever more than it does now

oh well

good choice for replacement!

savesteve
02-18-2004, 07:12 PM
I hope you bought Dodge's 7-year powertrain warranty

Originally posted by VividDreams
yeah really

On a side note, the transmission doesn't feel like it's from a 73 pinto and the headlights don't dim when I roll down the window :).

Soon2beEP3
02-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Damn domestics. Just kidding, I understand what you mean about the warranty, I also had warranty problems. I can be patient with my current warranty. When it ends, so does the K20a3. And a much more desirable K20a or a2 will take his place. I love the way i-vtecs sound. Enjoy your turbo!

Warranty problems with Mitsubishi that is.

LordKoo
02-18-2004, 09:31 PM
Years from now... when your dodge misubitich goes to workshop every other months for problems. Whilst my reliable EP just keeps going and going! Also.. resale value will speak the loudest!

I rather have usage power than too much power that cannot be harness properly to the ground.

Sympathy will not be given here for one who jumped into something else.

televated
02-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by LordKoo
Years from now... when your dodge misubitich goes to workshop every other months for problems. Whilst my reliable EP just keeps going and going! Also.. resale value will speak the loudest

Way to go... you made a crack about the unreliability of American cars while simultaneously insulting his choice in cars. Tell him what he's won!

You've just won a brand new dick-sucking machine that fires money out the other end!

Seriously... he made a sensible decision. Which is a lot more than I can say for some people around here who drop more money than they care to recall on their reliable ol' Hondas. But as someone said, to each his own. Not that these sort of comments are surprising. The Civic Si is inexpensive therefore appealing to younger, less financially stable individuals who haven't yet learned to bite their tongues in certain situations.

Nice car. What color did you get? Let's see some pics... on this EP3 website...

Dunrick
02-18-2004, 10:15 PM
lets not forget the srt-4 has a lsd...bigger brakes

tach that onto the turbo price for the ep3...

who cares if it isn't high reving. Not many turbo cars are. The supra isn't.

It runs really high boost stock. But ohwell, its still fast.

savesteve
02-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by LordKoo
Years from now... when your dodge misubitich goes to workshop every other months for problems. Whilst my reliable EP just keeps going and going! Also.. resale value will speak the loudest!

I rather have usage power than too much power that cannot be harness properly to the ground.

Sympathy will not be given here for one who jumped into something else.

I don't plan to keep it 7 years #1. And for 7 years they cover everything from the Windows to the Turbo.

ummm....

It's not like the EP is the value retention monster other Civics are.
an 00 SI with low miles is worth almost what a 2002 with less miles is worth.

the KBB looks like they're about the same to me since the 03's where 1k more MSRP than the EPs.

Originally posted by LordKoo I rather have usage power than too much power that cannot be harness properly to the ground.

Your Joking right?

We're not talking 1000 HP drag car here.
It's 220~ wheels.
The wheels by the way are 17x6 wrapped with Michellen Pilot Sports.
And let me tell you there isn't any speed/rpm my EP was ever faster in, be it off the line or a 60mph roll.
So I have no clue what you speak of here. It's very usable power. The turbo spools very quick and even before that it's a larger displacement than the EP @ 2.4ltr.

I liked my EP, I enjoyed the Shape/Style, I just wanted something a little faster. Granted the SRT dosen't quite have the refinement in the body/interior of my EP, but it fit the bill quite well.

savesteve
02-18-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Dunrick
lets not forget the srt-4 has a lsd...bigger brakes

tach that onto the turbo price for the ep3...

who cares if it isn't high reving. Not many turbo cars are. The supra isn't.

It runs really high boost stock. But ohwell, its still fast.

Boost is about 14 PSI Stock WOT, not that high actualy considering the EVOs are pushing 19 stock and I belive WRX's push 15 Stock.

Dunrick
02-19-2004, 06:48 AM
yeah those motors sure have some weak horsepower for the amount of boost they are putting out. Silvia motor only needs like 7 psi to hit 200 crank. double that and you got 300+whp

my point is nothing. Enjoy the srt-4. I know I would.

savesteve
02-19-2004, 12:06 PM
yeah those motors sure have some weak horsepower for the amount of boost they are putting out. Silvia motor only needs like 7 psi to hit 200 crank. double that and you got 300+whp

my point is nothing. Enjoy the srt-4. I know I would.

Yeah I got no clue how they make that kind of power on that low of boost/compression, but it's pretty cool. Double the PSI doesn't mean 2x the HP tho. From what I've read the Silvias put out around 250 to the wheels @13-14 PSI (Apparently that's what the stock turbo can push on the older ones.)

On a side note tho the SRT4's dyno at around 225 to the wheels on most, so really they're probly puttin out 240-250 stock. Not quite as good as the Siliva's motor but a little better than the Evo/WRX.(I think they dyno around 220/Evo and ~200/WRX. granted they are all wheel)

I love it so far, pulls really hard and handles great. The idle is a little rough but apparently a new wires/coil helps with that.

Thanks for all the reply action guys :).

Dunrick
02-19-2004, 12:10 PM
I dont know where you got the info that 14 psi the silvia has 250whp?? lol, try like 350+

Not only that, but were talking over 8k redline, safely.

Still...I got tons of respect for the srt-4. I really like that car. I don't blame you for getting one. If I had more money I might have gone that direction aswell. Its almost funny that its a neon too...because its a neon that smokes almost all 4banger cars out there. I love to piss people off, so I can see myself in a turbo srt-4

dchu
02-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Congrats on the SRT4, I would have done the same if I had $4k more to spend. Just make sure you get rid of it by 7 years...that is if you don't mind repainting the car. Chrylser paint is crap and they can never seem to get it right. My parent's voyager has absolutely no paint left on the roof and hood is going too. It just flaked off over the summer. Your first mod should also be to get rid of those god-awful wheels ;) .

savesteve
02-19-2004, 12:48 PM
I dont know where you got the info that 14 psi the silvia has 250whp?? lol, try like 350+

Not only that, but were talking over 8k redline, safely.

Still...I got tons of respect for the srt-4. I really like that car. I don't blame you for getting one. If I had more money I might have gone that direction aswell. Its almost funny that its a neon too...because its a neon that smokes almost all 4banger cars out there. I love to piss people off, so I can see myself in a turbo srt-4

I was reading this site I found:
http://www.sfcindustries.com/Tech.shtml

"The stock turbo will be safe to 13-15 psi. After that, the turbo is past its efficiency range, and power increases will fall off and are not worth the risk of turbo damage. The engine should produce 230-250 RWHP at safe boost."

savesteve
02-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by dchu
Congrats on the SRT4, I would have done the same if I had $4k more to spend. Just make sure you get rid of it by 7 years...that is if you don't mind repainting the car. Chrylser paint is crap and they can never seem to get it right. My parent's voyager has absolutely no paint left on the roof and hood is going too. It just flaked off over the summer. Your first mod should also be to get rid of those god-awful wheels ;) .

Yeah I'm not crazy about the Wheels myself. However that's an expensive adventure.

The first mods already been paid for.... The Eibach lowering spings.(The stock ride height is worrible.)

Second I'm probly going replace the wires/coil and go from there :).

CIVICBOOST
02-24-2004, 08:16 PM
I've been considering trading my Si as well, for a Rally Red EVO.
I saw one here in Palmdale, a few months back...
I was pumping gas and he drove by and gave me a thumbs up, I gave him a wave... then he gased it from 1st gear to 2nd after he turned the corner and I wanted that car ever since.
Have fun with the SRT-4:cool:

Spidey
02-25-2004, 10:57 AM
this is a bit off topic but I didn't want to start a new thread about the SRT.
I'm at work and we have this guy who thinks he's the guru of cars. I overhear him tell another co-worker what the SRT4. He proceeded to say
that it's a neon but it's using the same v6 engine found in the old Dodge Avengers and Sebrings produces 240 hp. He then said it's called a Dodge Neon 2.0 R/T. :rolleyes:

congrats on the new wheels savesteve!

savesteve
02-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Spidey
this is a bit off topic but I didn't want to start a new thread about the SRT.
I'm at work and we have this guy who thinks he's the guru of cars. I overhear him tell another co-worker what the SRT4. He proceeded to say
that it's a neon but it's using the same v6 engine found in the old Dodge Avengers and Sebrings produces 240 hp. He then said it's called a Dodge Neon 2.0 R/T. :rolleyes:

congrats on the new wheels savesteve!

I know the SRT4 production run is only until 05 so after that I don't know what the deal is. There is currently a regular neon RT but I think it's a 4 banger. I don't think any of them currently come with a v6 :).

The Avengers/Sebrings are a diffrent platform thatn the neon/pt's. I'm not sure the engine would even fit :).

Spidey
02-25-2004, 01:50 PM
savesteve,
my reply was a bit of sarcasm that did not get across as intended.
I was just commenting on how one of my co-workers had no idea about the srt4 and basically told this other guy all the wrong info about it. I was going to pipe up and correct him but I let it go.

savesteve
02-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Spidey
savesteve,
my reply was a bit of sarcasm that did not get across as intended.
I was just commenting on how one of my co-workers had no idea about the srt4 and basically told this other guy all the wrong info about it. I was going to pipe up and correct him but I let it go.

heheheh it would be cool tho :).