PDA

View Full Version : Progress FRONT sway = knocks?

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-16-2004, 06:12 AM
I installed my Progress front sway bar yesterday. Makes the car handle so much nicer. I've got the progress rear sway bar as well, along w/ the Neuspeed front/rear tower bars. I'm just waiting for D3 Designs to call me so I can pick up my double X-brace. ANYHOW, for those w/ the front sway, I noticed that there's about 1" or so clearance between the A-arm (I think that's what it's called) and the bar. When I go over speed bumps or up driveways, it knocks. Does this happen to all of you? Thanks in advance.

Paul

EnJaNir
02-16-2004, 06:50 AM
hmmm not sure, i know there is minimal clearance around the header/cat..but i have no knocking

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-16-2004, 07:12 AM
I forgot to specify that the knocking comes from the A-arms, not where the cat is.

Lucid Moments
02-16-2004, 08:00 AM
I've got the Progress front and rear as well, although no stb, and I haven't heard any knocking.

EP33
02-16-2004, 10:52 AM
No knocking from my Progress front sway (ever). Try to loosen the clamps and slide that bad boy over some. I don't remember if "centered" is ideal as the mounting positions may be unequal from left to right. Good Luck.

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by EP33
I don't remember if "centered" is ideal as the mounting positions may be unequal from left to right.

Shit that's probably my problem then... We adjusted everything so that it is centered. You think this is my issue? Thanks.

Paul

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-17-2004, 06:17 AM
So I jacked the car up yesterday afternoon and there's very little play as far as adjusting the bar. I still get the knocks when going up driveways/speed bumps so I guess I'll have to call progress today.

Paul

dofu
02-17-2004, 06:43 AM
please post results for other ephatch members in case they run across this same situation... thanks

EP33
02-17-2004, 08:37 AM
Damn that sucks dude. I hate little stupid sheet like that.

What side is the bar knocking on? PM your email address and I can send a digital pic of what my bar looks like if that'll help.....

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Both sides... I'll pm you my email... The pics will help alot... Thanks

Paul

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Well i called Progress and they said it COULD be bad endlinks... I doubt it's the a-arms cuz when I jacked it up, I couldn't see any marks/dents where it would be hitting... could be the b-pipe like EP33 said in his PM or the fact that I am dropped on H&R's... The only issue that Progress heard about is the fact that the wrong part number (in terms of the bar) was used and was hitting the cat.... The noise i'm hearing, however, is from the shock/strut area.... I'm gonna observe closer where EXACTLY it's coming from...

Paul

bsdbytes
02-17-2004, 06:36 PM
When you tightened the bolts on the endlinks to the sway bar, was the car jacked up or on ramps? According the service manual you should load the suspension with the car's weight before tighntening the bolts.

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-17-2004, 06:53 PM
really!?!?!?!? i gotta figure out a way cuz obviously the front's to low to get under w/out jacks.... thanks for the fyi bsdbytes

paul

EP33
02-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Well I am done with work for a few days. How are things going with the front sway? I plan on getting under my car tomorrow, you want the measurements from clamps to endlinks?

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-23-2004, 06:22 AM
I paid more attention to the knockin and it sounds like it's coming from above the cat... Like I said before, progress said this is due to the wrong part number... Something I'll have to live with I guess...

EP33
02-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Dunno, BTW I didn't tighten up my sway with the front wheels "loaded"

L8R

irrational
02-23-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by RiCeCoOkEr1280
I installed my Progress front sway bar yesterday. Makes the car handle so much nicer. I've got the progress rear sway bar as well, along w/ the Neuspeed front/rear tower bars. I'm just waiting for D3 Designs to call me so I can pick up my double X-brace. ANYHOW, for those w/ the front sway, I noticed that there's about 1" or so clearance between the A-arm (I think that's what it's called) and the bar. When I go over speed bumps or up driveways, it knocks. Does this happen to all of you? Thanks in advance.

Paul yeah man i get some....knocks that is

bioevolve
02-23-2004, 07:10 PM
Check to see if the sway bar is hitting the down pipe or bottom of the body near the shifting cable bracket. Recheck all nuts and bolts (end links and bushing clamp bolts).

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by irrational
yeah man i get some....knocks that is

Man, don't take this the wrong way but I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this problem... Do you hear it around the same area as I described?

Bioevolve - I'll check it out when I install my Double X-brace... Thanks

Paul

Eee Pee
02-23-2004, 10:54 PM
If it's the wrong part number, then what is it for? The RSX?

And the idea of tightening everything down while the suspension is loaded has to do with the way the bushings are smashed, (or set, or loaded, or tightened, etc.....)
Imagine the static ride height (normal height) is your zero point.
If the suspension is under droop, and you tighten everything then, the bushings will be twisted when you are at the normal ride height.
And it will get worse as the suspension is loaded.

In otherwords, binding. And that's bad.

EP33
02-23-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Eee Pee way the bushings are smashed

Which bushings are those???

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-24-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Eee Pee
If it's the wrong part number, then what is it for? The RSX?

I believe you are correct.

irrational
02-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by RiCeCoOkEr1280
Man, don't take this the wrong way but I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this problem... Do you hear it around the same area as I described?

Bioevolve - I'll check it out when I install my Double X-brace... Thanks

Paul
yup...pretty much

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-24-2004, 12:00 PM
So is this causing damage or something we should just live with? I've gotten used to it. I'm just concerned something will be ruined in the long run.

Paul

bsdbytes
02-24-2004, 05:04 PM
It can cause the bushings to wear out faster.

Mike

cpu519
02-25-2004, 09:35 AM
The sway bar bushings are designed so that the bar rotates inside them, they are not supposed to bind. When you go over a speed bump and both front wheels move at the same time, the sway bar is being pushed up on both ends and rotates inside the urethane bushings. When you turn then the bar twists, that controls sway. The end links have ball joints that are designed to rotate. I never read the Progress instructions, but I don't see how they can say that you have to tighten them with the car on the ground or with the suspension settled. The bushings may have some tightness that makes the bar not freely rotate that may be due to lubrication or bushing issues, but the bar is supposed to rotate. Both my bars freely rotate inside the bushings and drop when the endlinks are disconnected. If the bar doesn't freely rotate, that creates stiction which affects suspension movement.

Bushings that are supposed to be tightened with the suspension settled are found in control arms, and only because they are rubber bushings that aren't designed to rotate. The suspension is settled, then the bushing is tightened. That's because the rubber bushing doesn't rotate, it flexes in rotation when you go over a bump then flexes back. Tightening the bushing while the suspension is loaded makes sure the control arm is in the correct attitude. For those who replaced their springs, you probably found the control arms flexed back when you pushed down on them, they didn't just rotate and fall. That's the rubber bushing flexing back to position. Race cars replace the rubber bushings with spherical bearings to remove flex and allow free rotation. Just clearing up an issue.

bsdbytes
02-25-2004, 05:04 PM
That what I thought too, but the service manual said you should pre-load the wheel before tightening the endlinks. When I get a chance, I will scan the page and post it.

Mike