PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Question for Everyone

priest6479
02-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Ok so I'm just going to ask this and hope everyone will bear with me.

-I have a 02 Ep3, as of now I have nothing more than an AEM CAI.
-I have in my posession a Greddy Evo Catback exhaust from a 2002 Civic EX.

I was thinking of trying to use it with my EP, Running a pipe from the cat to the Greddy Silencer and then back to the Greddy exhaust.

OR I thought about maybe running a pipe from the Cat to the silencer and then to the stock exhaust on the back.

I hate whining exhausts that sound like a Lawnmower on X-tacy and that droning noise at top RPM, I thought maybe keeping the back end of the exhaust might help kill the sound and keep a lil back pressure and the silencer would help increase some flow through.

I'm just guessing here but what do you guys think.
I also have cops that will bust you for farting in your car past noise curfew so bear that in mind.

All I all I just want to help my car breath a lil better.

Thx Guys

Peking
02-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by priest6479
-I have in my posession a Greddy Evo Catback exhaust from a 2002 Civic EX.I was thinking of trying to use it with my EP, Running a pipe from the cat to the Greddy Silencer and then back to the Greddy exhaust.OR I thought about maybe running a pipe from the Cat to the silencer and then to the stock exhaust on the back.I hate whining exhausts that sound like a Lawnmower on X-tacy and that droning noise at top RPM, I thought maybe keeping the back end of the exhaust might help kill the sound and keep a lil back pressure and the silencer would help increase some flow through.

Ok, you could use it. Or atleast the muffler section, hangers could be bent or cut. Then you can weld new ones on. Can you take a pic of the bend of the pipe for the muffler section? If it will go over the rear sway and control arm, then we have something to go with. It is easy to bend another pipe (2.25") and forget about the resonator. Welded directly on the muffler. From the Greddy Evo's I have heard, without the resonator it will sound deeper and slightly louder. I think you will like it. At higher RPM the sound will die out, cause of the increase in flow.

Or you could sell it on another site, use the money to buy you a new or used cat-back exhaust. Will save you plenty of time, also will have mendrel bends instead of crushed.

Just an idea :D

Jon

priest6479
02-17-2004, 08:00 AM
I thought about selling it and buying somethng else, but I figure while i have it might as well use it (If it's worth it)

what is restrictive on our exhausts? I thought a bigger pipe right into the rear muffler might create better flow but just enough back pressure, some people on here seem to prefer that but I don't know.

Peking
02-17-2004, 01:42 PM
I thought about selling it and buying somethng else, but I figure while i have it might as well use it (If it's worth it)

what is restrictive on our exhausts? I thought a bigger pipe right into the rear muffler might create better flow but just enough back pressure, some people on here seem to prefer that but I don't know.

Sell it, I don't think it is worth it to have it on. Alot of things go into being restrictive, pipe size, resonator, muffler, etc. Those who go axle-back are few and far between. Mostly for looks and some better sound. Better flow from that part on, that is why most folks replace the mid-pipe and/or go with a cat-back exhaust. Back pressure is overrated IMO. I remember a friend telling me years ago that if the exhaust is to free flowing, you will be hurting your engine and you will not produce any TQ. I didn't believe him, yet what do I know. So when boosting it is important for the exhaust gases to get away from the engine as soon as it can, so I would believe this to be true at any flow. There is enough pressure for compression within the chamber, why would you need pressure coming back from the exhaust. I don't know :(

priest6479
02-17-2004, 01:56 PM
If I went with anything I would go full catback. I guess I will sell it, just going to be a pain in the ass to ship is all =(

Peking
02-17-2004, 02:14 PM
If I went with anything I would go full catback. I guess I will sell it, just going to be a pain in the ass to ship is all =(

UPS Store frickin rules, you should have one somewhere around you. They pack it, weigh it, and ship it. Then you add that cost to the overall cost to someone who buys it. Make sure the funds they send you (hopefully paypal) clears. Then you can ship it, and give them the tracking number (which the UPS Store gives you after you pay to ship). Sorry if you know all this stuff already.

priest6479
02-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Heh I have been shipping things Via UPS since I was 7 years old and I never thought of going to the UPS Store. But thx again for all your knowledge and advice, always appreciated.

BTW what kind of exhaust do you have?
what would you recommend?

irrational
02-17-2004, 02:58 PM
ebay it and get something that was made for the ep

dofu
02-17-2004, 03:00 PM
get an cat back with a silencer (not a cheap imitation)

priest6479
02-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Yeah that is what I am going to do.

I had that exhaust from my last car.
I think exhaust and header are my next investments.