PDA

View Full Version : D3 Double X-brace and some other info

Gearhead Geek
02-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Well, I just placed my order with D3 Designs for my double X-Brace (I believe it was James I spoke to but I may be wrong). Let me just start off by saying, that I've never had such good customer service EVER.
Now, on to the info:
First off, they went with the Chrome Moly for the brace. It is coated in two types of Zinc for rust proofing, and, while there there should be no problem, he said if there ever is, that they will either replace or recoat it (very good news for those of us who live in New England).
Now, as for their strut tower braces...
There is no estimated date for the release yet. They have a prototype, however, because of all the funky and odd bends in it, the cost for production is very high, so it's still somewhat on the drawing board.
When I asked about this, he did suggest one other company making a brace that mounts to the firewall, and it's a company that D3D did some work for/with, and pretty much ripped off the prototype design, and is selling it....and the company/product is...*drum roll*...the APC RE Works bar! (For those of you who saw my post yesterday, I tried ordering from NOPI, and they don't have them in stock yet, nor does APC have a release date for them yet), however, they will infact mount to the firewall.
And lastly, for those of you who already have a front tower brace and would like a substitute for the firewall mount, he suggested that the fender braces (I believe made by Spoon or Mr. Alex), are a good substitute.

Just thought I'd let all of you know about all this stuff.
And remember, the Double X-Brace is only $160 until this Friday (Feb. 20th) so get your orders in now :)

Whiteboy
02-17-2004, 04:44 PM
I don't think they'll have any troubling selling vs. APC, at least on this board. :D

FCobra94
02-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Aww :( I thought this was a review for the X brace...I saw it in the Vendor Sales section and am still trying to get some more info on it before the 20th.

Did anyone over at D3D mention whether or not they fixed the rubbing problem they had w/ the prototype?

I'm also wondering how much of a diff this thing will make. My RSX-S sway bar was a great bang for the buck at $60 for my otherwise stock EP, but I'm not sure if this brace will be just as valuable, especially on a street car...

Gearhead Geek
02-18-2004, 08:18 AM
The rubbing issue I believe was addressed on a post in the vendor sales section, and to my knowledge they have solved that problem.
As for how much of a difference it will make, I'll post a review once I get mine (they're shipping them all out on either Friday or Monday).

tony speed
02-18-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Gearhead Geek

And lastly, for those of you who already have a front tower brace and would like a substitute for the firewall mount, he suggested that the fender braces (I believe made by Spoon or Mr. Alex), are a good substitute.

But those fender braces are gonna be a severe pain to put on:
http://www.aj-racing.com/alex/Alex-chassis.html

You have to take off the whole side panel.

Gearhead Geek
02-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Service Manual + Tools + Shop = simple to do :)

http://www.aj-racing.com/alex/chassis/Alex-IFB-EP3-DSC00492.jpg

Not saying I'm buying them (yet), but, if you know what you're doing, it's not really *that* hard to do.

!@#$%
02-18-2004, 10:40 AM

Not saying I'm buying them (yet), but, if you know what you're doing, it's not really *that* hard to do.

geez, those fender braces dont seem worth the time, money, or effort unless you road race.

todaCspec
02-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by !@#$%
geez, those fender braces dont seem worth the time, money, or effort unless you road race.

If you drive on NYC streets, it's considered as road racing. These taxi's are all over the place.

tony speed
02-18-2004, 04:25 PM

yea...i was trying to get them now to put them on while my panels are off at the body shop, but they're on back order till march....:'(