PDA

View Full Version : key fob ?

BestMix
07-02-2002, 12:07 PM
Sorry up-front for the stupid question

SiCivic2k2
07-03-2002, 11:57 AM
Pressing the lock button once just locks the doors. Pressing it twice activates the alarm.

BestMix
07-03-2002, 12:25 PM
Thanks SiCivic2k2, I

SiCivic2k2
07-03-2002, 01:11 PM
Ohh okay. I misunderstood your post. Sorry.

fishboy
07-03-2002, 01:23 PM
so our car comes with an alarm? not just a "fake" horn alert thing.

stingyboy
07-03-2002, 02:19 PM
uh...my car doesn't have an alarm?!

pressing twice does sound the horn indicating you've locked the doors(twice), but if the windows are down and you reach in and open the door...nothing.

am i missing something here?

SiCivic2k2
07-03-2002, 02:21 PM
Maybe the windows have to be up to activate the alarm? :confused: I'm not sure.

brianc593
07-03-2002, 02:49 PM
My car didnt come with an alarm. I read in the manual that when the horn sounds after pressing the lock button twice it means that all doors are locked.

SiCivic2k2
07-03-2002, 04:16 PM
I guess that's possible. I could have sworn our cars came with alarms though.

02TafWhtSi
07-04-2002, 08:37 AM
No they don't - it is a dealer installed option - only standard is the keyless entry.

SiCivic2k2
07-04-2002, 01:57 PM
That sucks.

BlazeX12
07-04-2002, 09:33 PM
yep, no alarm. My 99 civic EX, was the same way, it beeps twice to tell you your an idiot, cause you already locked it. Speaking of which, has anyone seen how far it works. I was in my house, and my car across the street, and i was playing with my remote, and the damn thing beeped. It works pretty damn far.

CleanBlackSi02
07-08-2002, 04:40 AM
I set off the panic alarm in a drunken stupor late one night at my friends house and didn't realize it for quite awhile. The car was like hundreds of feet away though. Neighbors must have loved it. At least we know it's there for us if we wish to panic. ....And no, I didn't drive. ;)

02TafWhtSi
07-08-2002, 09:02 PM
The panic horn does kinda sound like a cheesy alarm though:rolleyes:

NetDragon
07-09-2002, 11:14 AM
Yeah I am still loooking to get an alarm installed into my Si. I was looking at the Clfford "Intelliguard" System. You can connect it to your computer and download a little log and program it for different options and in a higher end model you can aparently upload different sirens to it! Also they have "Option" Plugs, so you can connect a second horn and bury it under the engine or something. Or mount an 80+dB Pizo in the cap of the car so it is so loud they can not stand being inside the car.

Anybody here have any siggestions or reccomendations as to alarms, costs, ease of install, things like that?

EDIT: Oh yeah and my fob has hella range. I have gotten a few hundred feet from an elevated position and line of sight. The fob gfor my Focus was horrible. Rainge was about 10 to 15 feet!

BlazeX12
07-09-2002, 02:06 PM
Well, whats big here in VA is ppl steal your rims. And they know how to by pass your alarm by cutting your horn wire and battery wire. So i installed a back-up siren(not to be confused for back-up battery) Basically its a horn that has its own biult in battery, and if any wire in your car is cut, horn wire, siren wire, battery wire, etc. Then the back-up siren goes off, and you cant shut this alarm off, even if you use the key fob, it still wont cut off, you have to open your hood and use the laser cut key they give you to turn it to the off posistion. I have had my rims stolen twice before i had this, and they have tried 4 times since and have been unsuccsesful since. It is kinda pain in the ass having to go out to your car, open your hood and turn off your alram, but it's better then having no rims. only down side is, if your battery goes dead, then the alarm goes off, casue it thinks someone cut the wire.

CleanBlackSi02
07-09-2002, 02:20 PM
All new Si's should be equipped with a 10,000 volt alarm that fries anyone that touches our rides.

NetDragon
07-09-2002, 03:12 PM
BlazeX12, where did you get this self powered alarm? How does it work? Who makes it? How is the battery in it charged? How much was it? I am very interested in this item! Thanks for any info,

BlazeX12
07-09-2002, 05:19 PM
Viper makes mine, its only like $40, it just adds to any alarm system, like a regular siren. The battery is charged when you car is running, once its charged all the way it doesnt need power unless it goes off. I got mine a Circuit City, a friend of mine works there, and he put this in his and his g/f car. and he has had the same results, they have tried but not succeeded. Like i said once it goes on, you cant turn it off, unless you have the key.

BlazeX12
07-09-2002, 05:25 PM
On a side not, in addition to the guy who put it in, i have reccomended it too three other ppl i know that have had thier car broken into, and all three have had attempted break ins, and none have gotten away with it. I actcully caught some guys once using the alarm, they came late at night and popped my hood, if anyone has a 99 civic then its real easy, jusr stick your hand in the grill, find the little wire attach to the latch and pull, and your hood is opened. Anyways, they came and did that, and my alarm gave the warning beep, so they ran off. But instead of going out and closing my trunk, i called the police, and had them sit at the end of my court. Sure enough they came back, open my hood, and cut my battery wire and horn wire. Werent they surprised when the alarm still went off! Anyways, cops caught them red handed.

DynaSpeed
07-09-2002, 05:31 PM
http://www.probetalk.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_idea.gif Niiiiiice!

So what was the conclusion? Cops rough 'em up? Castration? Did you have to press charges?

NetDragon
07-09-2002, 07:23 PM
Dude! That is like the best story I have ever heard! The expression on the guys face when the siren went off even though the battery and siren was cut had to be like Visa (Priceless!!!!). I need to get me one of these. How does the alarm know when the wire is cut?

SBC31
07-09-2002, 07:27 PM
Priceless = Mastercard.......lol!

BlazeX12
07-09-2002, 09:43 PM
Yeah, i had to press charges, apparently they were from DC, and they had been on a ring of stealing rims, three of my firends got hit as well, they were professionals, they had like 10 different wheel lock keys, and a bunch of other shit i didnt even recongnize for breaking in. the funny part was, after two of my firends got hit, me and some friends used my car as a stake out for 3 nights straight, baseball bats and all, but they never showed, then two nights after we gave up is when they came. As far a how it works, i think there is some kinda wire going to it that lets the alarm know when it has lost its power source. Kinda like once the connection is broken, it clicks on. I guess kinda like a back-up power supply in a biulding, electric goes off, on come the back-up. I'm only guessing though. oh, and we didnt get my firends stuff back, they prolly sold it for money before they came back to hit my car.

2k2civicSi
07-09-2002, 10:48 PM
i want one i got my rims JACKED LIKE DAT off my last teg

NetDragon
07-10-2002, 09:30 AM
Hey wow. Sounds a little scary. Well thanks for the info. Do you have to use the backup kenwood horn wirth a kenwood alarm or can you use it with any alarm. Sorry for all the questions, but I like the sound of this thing. Does it go off with the regular alarm if it is tripped or does it only go off is the battery or alarm wire is cut? So what happens now with those bag guys? They go to jail for a long time. You got your stuff back but your friend is SOL? Oh and one last question. What kind of alarm do you have, how many tones does it have? Range? Keyless entry? Options? Cost? heh... Thanks for any additional info. Ir you can maybe just point me to a web site? Do people here like Kenwood alarms?