PDA

View Full Version : EP3 or WRX Opinion.

slc71
02-18-2004, 07:43 AM
The replies could be one sided on this topic but, I thought about selling my 2003 EP3 and getting a 2002 WRX.
The reliability ratings for the WRX are much worse than the SI.
A reliable car is very important for me since I really put the miles on.
I like my EP3, but get tired of the bs about it being a delivery van, 2dr station wagon, etc.
Anyway does anyone own or no someone that owns a WRX that could give an opinion on this matter.
Any input is appreciated.

Dunrick
02-18-2004, 08:59 AM
02 wrx seem to have had problems...but the 03+ I think they got the kinks out....

dj addicted
02-18-2004, 09:01 AM
if I could trade in my EP and get a good deal for an STI, I would in a heartbeat... but only an STI. I wouldnt go with the base model.

Jpax
02-18-2004, 09:09 AM
The nice thing about the WRX is AWD and Turboed for me. the interior is nice, and the layout of everythign is good. I hate that i don't have ANY large cup holders, Thats my only qurik.

slc71
02-18-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by dj addicted
if I could trade in my EP and get a good deal for an STI, I would in a heartbeat... but only an STI. I wouldnt go with the base model.

For what reason would you not go with base WRX model?

Jpax
02-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by slc71

He figures its not worth it because he can't stand not haveing that big wing..:D

I'm happy with my wrx, The boost is so nice :D

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjc4OTk0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjc4OTk2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

jaydub
02-18-2004, 09:38 AM
PaXiE is gay. :D

!@#$%
02-18-2004, 09:56 AM
am i hallucinating, or did he really get a wrx?

Dunrick
02-18-2004, 10:33 AM
STATIONWAGON OF FURY. lol

Graywolf
02-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Scoobies are cool, but for those on a budget, the ep cannot be beat

enecks
02-18-2004, 10:37 AM
if the prices were equal when i bought my ep3, i most definitely would have gone with the WRX. and i don't see anything wrong with the base model. sure, it's only got 227hp, but it still goes nought to sixty in under 6 seconds. that's fast.

2k2_nbp_egg
02-18-2004, 10:47 AM
One of my close friends has an 03' WRX, and I was really damn jealous when he got it. I can tell you now....the WRX IS another level above the EP when it comes to anything. Stock for stock it handles better and out accelerates the EP, and has slightly more room. Mod for mod the EP gets left behind in the dust...yes even from a roll. I still remember when we were on the freeway and he was supposed to be following me...but when he got the chance he threw it in fourth and passed me. I was topping my fourth out too, but he flew past me like it was nothing. The interior quality is about the same, w/ the slight edge going to the EP. I've tracked his wrx though, and stock around a course its slower than my EP w/ modded suspension and azenis. They have alot of body roll stock, and the lag is noticeable as well.

Don't get me wrong though, they do have quite a bit of problems, but not catastrophic ones that should steer you away from the car. The paint is incredibly poor quality...I've put marks in my friend's car w/ my fingernail unintentionally. Certain parts like the trunk feel really light...I'm sure that's a good thing for weight reduc...but when the door weighs alot more than the trunk I thought that was kinda weird. Maybe I'm just used to my heavy hatch. The other things is that the tranny is by far the worst piece of shit I've driven, and the stock suspension is hindered by the tires sevearly...and w/ no front LSD it understeers exactly like my FWD EP did stock. That tranny...god I hate it. Grinds random gears for no reason(grinding 1st at a stop is infuriating), vague as hell, and it gets sticky...in the sense that the gears don't want to come out after driving hard.

Bottom line - AWD + turbo + more room = the win. Do it if you can, cause I would in a heartbeat. I just hate people that think the car is god, and that the wrx can never loose. Shit, the owner of the car couldn't break out of the 15's last time we were at the track. He was pissed when i got into the 14's :)

blueiedgod
02-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Just go to you local Scoobaroo dealer and take one for a test drive. All it took for me to deside against it was a test drive. On paper the car is solid, but it is rough. I may be getting older and like refinement in my vehicles. I don't want to feel the engine in the shifter either at idle or full throttle. The boxer engine maybe a good idea, but in the Subie it is poorly executed, Porsche Boxer has the same engine layout, but there is no vibration and un balanced feeling. If your main objective to get 4WD get G35 4WD, much better package and execution for a sports car. I would recommend Audi A4, but not used and you will have to get extended warranty if you are planning on keeping it past the warranty period. BMW 325 xi is another well done 4WD sports sedan. You may actually find an off lease BMW about now.

Graywolf
02-18-2004, 12:30 PM
All the problems you describe are caused by un-even header lengths. Subaru could have fixed this, but then it wouldn't have the patented 3 cylender sound.

dj addicted
02-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by slc71

because if I was to get a WRX, I would want the 300hp version. I would probably love the base WRX, but I know I would be kicking myself wanting the STI. Plus, there are more base WRXs around here than you can shake a stick at... but there are even less STIs than there are ep3s.

2.0L Monster
02-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Does anyone relize that the base model wrx is called the impressa and does not come with a turbo?

Graywolf
02-18-2004, 01:47 PM
I'm afraid you are incorrect. The Impreza is not a WRX, a WRX is an impreza. The base impreza is the Impreza 2.5RS, the base WRX is the Impreza WRX. You got served.

On a side note, our engine has the same displacement as the Impreza, however we have more HP/liter and less driveline loss. Not to mention, our car's redline is higher.

2.0L Monster
02-18-2004, 02:05 PM
The wrx is an impressa the same way an EP3 is a civic. Who cares if they have a different engine and drivetrain parts. Its still just an impressa.

Would you be mad if I said that the base model Si is a civic?

2k2_nbp_egg
02-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Graywolf
On a side note, our engine has the same displacement as the Impreza, however we have more HP/liter and less driveline loss. Not to mention, our car's redline is higher.

What in the hell are you talking about? You are kidding, right?

Yea, you got that right, we have the same displacement, so how the hell does a car w/ more hp make less hp/liter than the car making less hp.......? The driveTRAIN loss isn't really that noticeable...I still got owned really hard from a roll, as did my friend's type S w/ intake. I was in the type S when he lost :( And the redline is actually slightly higher in the rex i think....we're technically at 6800 and if im not mistaken they're at 7k....not that it matters w/ my hondata

I believe you got served buddy.

p.s. 2.0L you're wrong too, they're all 3 imprezzas, but only two are wrx's

slc71
02-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Thanks for all the feedback on this (special props to 2k2_nbp_egg).
After looking into this I have came up with some reasons for sticking with my SI.
1. Gas Mileage WRX - 20 city/27 Highway SI - 26 city/30 highway
2. Reliability just scares me a little bit.
3. Is the extra horsepower worth the money?

With some boost on the SI (SC/Turbo) and maybe a head swap I could pump out some serious power, which was my plan anyway.
I worry about how much more horsepower the WRX can handle on the drivetrain. It is already boosted so how much further can you go.

Thanks to the community again.

2k2_nbp_egg
02-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Whoops forgot to comment on the mileage....which is shitty for a four banger. And you must use premium. When it comes to the mileage there's no question that the EP is going to be significantly cheaper w/ its cheaper fuel and smaller tank that gets more miles.

2.0L Monster
02-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
2.0L you're wrong too, they're all 3 imprezzas, but only two are wrx's

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. All I'm saying is that the wrx is an impressa. And that there is lower model impressa.

It's like saying there is a lower model "evo". What that would mean that there is a lower level lancer, its just not called an "evo" anymore.

Tenacious G
02-18-2004, 03:13 PM
the gas mileage is shitty for a 4-cylinder because you're dealing with a turbo, AWD and the extra weight of said ugrades vs. the EP.

Graywolf
02-18-2004, 03:13 PM
What I meant was, Before turbo, we have more HP per liter, and no the Civic sedan or coupe is not the base Si. They don't even share a platform. I believe the base Si, is the 1.5litre Civic 3 door.

I meant to edit previous post before anyone read it, realizing exactly what you said.

I love it when someone says "you got served", that shiaz is hillarious

Either way, a Civic Si owns a Impreza RS, and an EP-T owns WRX's

2.0L Monster
02-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Did you notice that I said it was a civic, and not the coupe. :p

Tenacious G
02-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by 2.0L Monster
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. All I'm saying is that the wrx is an impressa. And that there is lower model impressa.

It's like saying there is a lower model "evo". What that would mean that there is a lower level lancer, its just not called an "evo" anymore.

but you're getting it backwards. car nomenclature and trims work from the bottom up. no one ever refers the a Civic DX as a "base" EX. just like no one ever refers to an IMPREZA as as a "base" WRX or STi.

2.0L Monster
02-18-2004, 03:20 PM
All this for saying that there was a non-turbo impressa. :o

Graywolf
02-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Yes :)

Tenacious G
02-18-2004, 03:35 PM
All this for saying that there was a non-turbo impressa. :o

no, all this for saying the IMPREZA is a base WRX

:D

Tragedy
02-18-2004, 04:14 PM
I spent $2500 on my WRX to get it into the mid 12s (low 12s if i raise the boost). Just like all turbo cars, it responds really well to mods. Food for thought.

audomatik
02-18-2004, 04:25 PM

Well there is two EVO models... the new RS but its not really lower quality, just a cut back in wieght. But I'm just being an ass...

Graywolf
02-18-2004, 04:51 PM
No stereo, carpeting, OR ac.

Talk about econo-car.

slc71
02-18-2004, 05:08 PM
So what everyone is saying is screw the EVO(Lancer), WRX (Impreza), SVT(Focus), Spyder(Eclipse), M3 (3 Series), M5 (5 Series), SRT-4(basically Neon), SE-R Spec V (Sentra) and Redline (Saturn ION).
Did I miss any.
:D

pLopSI
02-18-2004, 07:31 PM
we all know that an EP isn't a civic :D

oldschoolimport
02-18-2004, 07:52 PM
this is why not to get a 2002 wrx. I would be uneasy buying any wrx. http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=30533

dj addicted
02-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
this is why not to get a 2002 wrx. I would be uneasy buying any wrx. http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=30533

so, you arent going to buy a car because one guy has a problem with a dealership?

if that was the case.. everybody would be walking, nobody would be driving, and we would all be complaining about shoe companies.

slc71
02-18-2004, 08:07 PM

Thanks for letting me know that it just made my decision very easy.

oldschoolimport
02-18-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by dj addicted
so, you arent going to buy a car because one guy has a problem with a dealership?

if that was the case.. everybody would be walking, nobody would be driving, and we would all be complaining about shoe companies. NO, it is not one guy and not one dealership! subaru has stopped repairing 02 transmissions because they have had to repair so many. SEE A PATTERN? if you buy an 02 and the tranny goes out, subaru WILL NOT stand behind it, period. they made a shitty transmision and they realize it. they just don't want to make it right. that is why I would not buy one, no matter what year. if they are doing this on transmissions, what are they gonna do it on next.

slc71
02-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Well if the tranny is even questionable it is not worth it.
Not saying that the WRX is not cool and if I had the enough money I would get one.
Also if you look at the reliabilty ratings on JD Power they are not very good.
Although consumer reports has it listed with a very good rating, but it is for ALL Impreza models.
So go figure.
At this point if I get one it would have to be the WRX STI model.
The power and performance increase would have to be really justified.

dj addicted
02-18-2004, 08:23 PM
NO, it is not one guy and not one dealership! subaru has stopped repairing 02 transmissions because they have had to repair so many. SEE A PATTERN? if you buy an 02 and the tranny goes out, subaru WILL NOT stand behind it, period. they made a shitty transmision and they realize it. they just don't want to make it right. that is why I would not buy one, no matter what year. if they are doing this on transmissions, what are they gonna do it on next.

before you jump off a deep end, Im not calling you a liar... but I just dont see how subaru would flat out stop repairing something that is under warranty. Thats illegal!! They would have lawsuits all across the country! I know a handful of people with 02 WRXs and they havent had any problems with the tranny. The person in that thread might have gotten screwed and Im sorry to hear that, but I just dont buy it that corporate told him tough shit.

oldschoolimport
02-18-2004, 08:29 PM
I was shocked also. he is pursueing this further. by the way, he is a special agent with the FBI. this may get very interesting before it is over with. but, yes, they told him that they were not going to repair the transmission, because they have had to repair too many, and that ALL the cases were due to abuse. but it is funny that they had a revision on the transmission design the following year.;)

dj addicted
02-18-2004, 08:33 PM
thats when you put the car completely back to stock.. drive it completely until the tranny locks up or whatever and your car ends up flying off the road. Then you sue the shit out of them and then own a subaru dealership

KimchiBoy_TypeR
02-18-2004, 08:33 PM
I would say screw the WRX for around the same money there is so many other things you could get. Exmp 350Z, TypeS, SRT4,or a V-Spec.

Man If I where you I would look into the SRT4!!!Dodge and Mopar have really stepped up to the plate with this Import spanker. I kick myself in the ass everytime I see one on the road just thinking I could be driving in a car Turboed that does 14.2 quarters off the lot with the same money I spent for an Si. :'(

oldschoolimport
02-18-2004, 08:37 PM
his car is not driveable. the tranny grenaded. it was taken in on a rollback. basically it is a 1:1 scale static model that he is making car payments on. if subaru does not make this right, I will never recommend one to anyone. subaru may not care, but I would hate to see anyone else get stuck with a car that is no good to them. oh well.

dj addicted
02-18-2004, 08:38 PM
this then goes right to the flipside of the coin.. nobody knows whats going to happen to all these SRT4's by next year... they could have the same problem all other neons have.. end up with a blown headgasket or something.. Thats why I waited until mid 03 before I bought my Si. I hadnt heard of any engine problems since the K series came out. Also, honda motors are notorious for holding up to almost anything.. unlike dodge motors

2k2_nbp_egg
02-18-2004, 08:48 PM
I hate my friend's tranny...but jamming it back into first during autocross prolly didn't help either.

Kimchi, my friend got his wrx for under 25 fully loaded (security, sound system, short shifter, boost gauge). 350's usually go for alot higher, and the wrx can go faster for cheaper. AWD is also really nice unlike the srt4, but the stock 04's are doing high to mid 13's.

PAPITUYO326
02-20-2004, 10:17 AM
dont get an 02 they had alot of transmission problems

try an 03 or an 04

ViNRoCk8
02-20-2004, 01:47 PM
If you want a sedan get a wrx

thats the only reason i don't have one.

I don't like sedans.