PDA

View Full Version : buying springs this weekend...need unbaised opinions.

PortoRy
02-18-2004, 09:34 PM
im new to the board and need some help here..im going to be ordering springs this weekend... heres what im looking for in order of priority:

1. Lowered 2 inches AT LEAST
2. even drop, or front slightly lower (visually)
3. Ride quality..not TOO rough...

i have done some research and have concluded that H&R, Progress, Neuspeed, Tein, and Sportlines all have what im lookin for..

I leaning towards Neuspeed and Tein... buti can get good deals on H&R and eibach springs ...

so what should i get.. unbiased opinions???

DingDong02Si
02-18-2004, 09:43 PM
Thats funny cause i'm looking for springs also. Go to www.carreview.com and look up springs, then scroll down and find the ones your thinking of getting and hear from numourous owners opinions. I went earlier today and was recamended towards H&R's 2inch drop. I think thats what i'm going to get in the next few days, but also they highly recamended eibach springs. Hope this helps. -Matt D.

Happy Racing
K&N Typhoon Intake
GReddy EVO 2 Catback Exhaust
Silver Star bulbs:

dofu
02-18-2004, 09:49 PM
have you guys ever thought about a three piece coilover system like ground controls? really nice to have if you're picky about the look of your drop like i am, and the ride wasnt bad until my shocks went out...

foilpan
02-18-2004, 09:53 PM
<bias>

i have progress springs on my ride.

after a year and rough roads, my stock struts are ready to go.

to answer your criteria:

1. they're roughly a 2" drop.
2. progress springs might seem to sag a little in the back, but i think front/back are about even, considering.
3. ride quality is good (not harsh) as long as your stock struts are in good shape and roads cooperate. the same applies for any aftermarket springs/stock struts arrangement.

</bias>

Exhibit A:

http://nate.adullmoment.com/ep/img/side_sm.jpg

PortoRy
02-18-2004, 10:05 PM
thanks for the opinions so far guys...i guess i forgot to include that i dont want my stock strust to be gone in about 7-8 months.:D

jaydub
02-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by PortoRy
thanks for the opinions so far guys...i guess i forgot to include that i dont want my stock strust to be gone in about 7-8 months.:D

Then nothing will fit your standards. The stock struts are not made to handle being used with lowering springs, especially at two inches.

PortoRy
02-18-2004, 10:17 PM
damn that sucks...i had my cheap arospeed springs (2 in ch drop) on my 2001 altima , and my stock struts held up fine for 2 years... whats the deal with the ep struts?

jaydub
02-18-2004, 10:21 PM
It's not the EP's struts fault. I bet your altima's struts were shot too. They simply aren't made to handle the shortened suspension travel. It has nothing to do with the car.

Makross
02-18-2004, 10:26 PM
man i shouldve gotten progress instead of the teins they are too soft

jaydub
02-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Makross
man i shouldve gotten progress instead of the teins they are too soft

no shit dude, I hate my teins.

PortoRy
02-18-2004, 10:32 PM
well i had my lowering springs taken off and stock ones put back on after 2 years to trade my car in..the only strut that was shot was the front passenger side, and thast because i got hit by a van while i was doin 45. At least thats what they guys at the shop said. so insurance covered that one, but the other 3 were fine.

jaydub
02-18-2004, 10:34 PM
well like i said, it's hard to guess why yours lasted well on your altima, but for the most part, stock struts will go fast when you lower your car.

PortoRy
02-18-2004, 10:34 PM
i know the struts have nothing to do with the car itself, i dont even honestly know what struts come stock with the EP..i havent done enough research on it yet. if i have to replace my struts in a year thats ok..just seeing whats out there

so tein is out ..your not satisfied with yours? btw redbull is my fav mixer with my fav vodka.

jaydub
02-18-2004, 10:36 PM
hehe red bull and grey goose, can't go wrong! :D

Yeah my teins are way too soft, but they aren't made for the EP3, they're made for the civic coupe. Perhaps by the time you have to replace your struts something else will be out there, but for now the only company that makes anything aftermarket in the way of struts is Koni, and those are just cartridges. :(

PortoRy
02-18-2004, 10:45 PM
so how about neuspeed...i havent heard much bad about those...

PortoRy
02-18-2004, 10:46 PM
grey goose is great! but im an absolut drinker...i save the 5 bucks when i buy absolut so i can afford my redbull...im a poor man..as for now its bed time, gotta work in 4 1/2 hours..! thanks guys

oldschoolimport
02-18-2004, 10:49 PM
I love my progress springs. stock ride, nice drop.

FiL
02-18-2004, 11:32 PM
i've got some eibach sportlines on my car. theyre about 1.5" drop and the ride is pretty smooth and the height is even. i'm on stock shocks right now. eibach's a little more expensive but theyre really good quality, no noise or anything.

SiR_d1
02-18-2004, 11:40 PM
im riding on tein s tech. Best springs for your buck. Ride quality is terrible if you have shitty roads, luckily thats not the case for me. I'm going on a year with them and my shocks are still fine. Its about a 1.5"-1.8" drop

YooShin
02-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Most EPers get about a 2-2.5 drop with Progress. I Paid $131.50. Installing mine today after work. I'll take pics of a before and after with a measuring tape. Keep in mind all springs will settle about .25" and sag in the long run, 2-3 years from past experience. Wearing out stock shocks is enevitable. Start saving for a full CO set up.