PDA

View Full Version : Installing mid hatch wing

kuhlka
02-18-2004, 10:46 PM
I'm getting it FedEx on friday. ebay Wings West (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2458447174&category=33638)

I'm thinking the job will be pretty easy since I've got all the equipment in the garage. I just need to match the paint and do the work. Anyone have any suggestions/tips for how to work on fiberglass. This will be my first experience with it.

oldschoolimport
02-18-2004, 10:53 PM
don't you have to drill into the hatch and the quarter panels to mount the mid-wing. if it is a 3 piece, the outer pieces are mounted to the quarters, how exactly are they secured. if they are drilled and screwed, make sure you want it on there until you have body work done, because holes in the body are pretty permanent. just thinking out-loud. sorry.

2fast
02-19-2004, 10:03 PM
It is made out of polyurathane. If it is not than it is not wings west. Should only have to put in two holes in hatch. I had a body shop do mine.

kuhlka
02-19-2004, 10:59 PM
On Wings West's website they say they use both 'hand laid fiberglass' and 'urethane'. I'm guessing the seller on ebay put the wrong material in the listing since WW says they do most of their wings using urethane. I'll know tomorrow when it gets here. All I know is that it is shipping directly from WW. I'm thinking since it is still really cold/wet outside and my garage isn't heated, if the price of the materials is much over $50 I'm going to just have a local shop do the work since they quoted around $150 for the job. If the materials can be found for around $50 or less though I'm going to DIY since I don't have a lot of cash, and my dad has all the paint tools in his garage.