PDA

View Full Version : Engine break-in period

HondCivc91
02-20-2004, 12:05 AM
What's everybody's take on engine break-in on the EP? I've read a few online articles, including MotoMan's website. How did you guys break your EP in?

ATRIOT
02-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Well a couple hundred people before me drove my car harder than a $2 Ho. Yeah she was a demo, i got her with 2500km on the clock.

civic hatch boi
02-20-2004, 12:59 AM
just baby it for 600-1k miles... then slowly run it harder. but some say u dont hav eto break in the engines anymore. but i still did.

civicSIracer
02-20-2004, 01:02 AM
folliow the manual.

dofu
02-20-2004, 01:32 AM
we were suppose to break the car in???

Vertigo
02-20-2004, 03:00 AM
Drive it like you stole it! No really, be easy on it the first 600 miles or so.

ViViDPeArL
02-20-2004, 03:02 AM
shit...i didn't break it in...oh well...common guys...its a damn honda...change the oil and change the tranny oil every 20k miles...what could go wrong?

Chinaboy
02-20-2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by ViViDPeArL
shit...i didn't break it in...oh well...common guys...its a damn honda...change the oil and change the tranny oil every 20k miles...what could go wrong?

that is true, and half not true... first here are my break in guide lines

Clean engines must should break in with reccommended oil, that is MINERAL, not synthetic, if it is synthetic when it came to you, change the oil back to mineral. Reason being synthetic is way too smooth, it will not rub away any loose metal shavings and break in the engine ware pattern clean enough, where as mineral oil is still 'more' gritty than synethic, it can break in better.

never pass 80 mph
never go pass 4500K on the tac
do this for 600mi

between 600 to 1000mi
start driving past 4500rpm slowly, like take it to 5500 for the next 100mi, work your way up slowly to redline, but not past it anymore NO RED ZONE!

at 1500mi when all the hard work is done, change the oil immediately (at this point you can break in to 3000 with mineral if you want, or go synthetic) and then drive it for the next 50 miles under low stress to clean out all the moving parts, so if you switch from mineral oil to synthn let the oil speep in and break the hard lining of the mineral oil... then after that you can drive it like you stole it the then.

It is important for our honda engines to have a proper break in, because we depend on the higher rpms to pull us through situations, (racing on freeway and such) And if you do not break in properly, the engine will respond slower at the top end of the tac.

LHD_EP3
02-20-2004, 06:03 AM
Just follow the owners manual

Graywolf
02-20-2004, 06:59 AM
whoops. I asked those sales bitches, and they lied....

blueiedgod
02-20-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Chinaboy
that is true, and half not true... first here are my break in guide lines

Clean engines must should break in with reccommended oil, that is MINERAL, not synthetic, if it is synthetic when it came to you, change the oil back to mineral. Reason being synthetic is way too smooth, it will not rub away any loose metal shavings and break in the engine ware pattern clean enough, where as mineral oil is still 'more' gritty than synethic, it can break in better.

never pass 80 mph
never go pass 4500K on the tac
do this for 600mi

between 600 to 1000mi
start driving past 4500rpm slowly, like take it to 5500 for the next 100mi, work your way up slowly to redline, but not past it anymore NO RED ZONE!

at 1500mi when all the hard work is done, change the oil immediately (at this point you can break in to 3000 with mineral if you want, or go synthetic) and then drive it for the next 50 miles under low stress to clean out all the moving parts, so if you switch from mineral oil to synthn let the oil speep in and break the hard lining of the mineral oil... then after that you can drive it like you stole it the then.

It is important for our honda engines to have a proper break in, because we depend on the higher rpms to pull us through situations, (racing on freeway and such) And if you do not break in properly, the engine will respond slower at the top end of the tac.

Agree somewhat, keep the factory oil in util at least 3000 miles. It is not your regular oil, it is special break in oil that Honda uses at factory fill up. Agree, on the rpms and speeds, vary speeds as much as possible.
CHECK OIL LEVEL AT EVERY FILL UP. Some of the 2002's, including mine used oil excessivly until at least 10,000 miles.

STP03BlueSI
02-20-2004, 07:32 AM
Has this been Repost (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18455&highlight=Engine+break+in)...Repost (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17154&highlight=Engine+break+in) ...repost (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10756&highlight=Engine+break+in) ....repost (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2730&highlight=Engine+break+in) ....repost (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1447&highlight=Engine+break+in) ...repost (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16935&highlight=Break+in+period)

All the Reposts are links...damn I have to much spare time

Chris:D

K-Series
02-20-2004, 07:36 AM
I've said before and I'll say it again...I broke my car in like the said $2 ho. I ran it to redline and back LEAVING THE DEALERSHIP. I ran it hard, changed the oil at like 2k and ran it hard some more.

The car's a champ and performs really well for me. I think babying a car now a days is crap. (Unless you don't want a faster car.)

Again, just my opinion.

Steve

Graywolf
02-20-2004, 07:56 AM
Thanks Steve, you make me feel 100% better! Besides, if my engine goes bad, its just an excuse to by a type-s swap.

ViViDPeArL
02-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Graywolf
whoops. I asked those sales bitches, and they lied....

my stupid sales bitch didn't tell me about break-in either! i guess it was something i should have known...but i was too busy trying to keep my car from stalling rather than worrying about break-in (my first manual car).

BTW, i didn't break in my car but i have 25k miles on it with no problems what so ever... :D

Chinaboy
02-20-2004, 01:08 PM
actually... the dealership lied...

if the cars do not need break in, as the dealer says it should not, then why do the techs tell u that their oil have break in properties? Someone one the TSX board ran a test that said that the oil that honda use has a high amount of moly or whatever the hell you said, which in terms is shared by Mobil1 and Castrol Oils... so sorry guy, there is no special break in oil that comes with factory cars.

civicSIracer
02-20-2004, 01:19 PM
yes there is.

Surprise
02-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Chinaboy
actually... the dealership lied...

if the cars do not need break in, as the dealer says it should not, then why do the techs tell u that their oil have break in properties? Someone one the TSX board ran a test that said that the oil that honda use has a high amount of moly or whatever the hell you said, which in terms is shared by Mobil1 and Castrol Oils... so sorry guy, there is no special break in oil that comes with factory cars.

The level of moly from over the counter oils is about 1/2 of the amount that the break in oil comes with.

There is special break in oil.

dofu
02-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Graywolf
Besides, if my engine goes bad, its just an excuse to by a type-s swap.

hahahah... thats what im thinkin... but im thinkin k24
yea... the service techs told me that the break in period and the 35k service is the most important for hondas

ViViDPeArL
02-21-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by dofu
hahahah... thats what im thinkin... but im thinkin k24
yea... the service techs told me that the break in period and the 35k service is the most important for hondas

i guess we'll see how important break in is since i didn't do mine. btw, there is no 35k service...only 35k service there is is an oil change. our cars take 10, 20, 30, 40 minor services, and 60/120 majors.

dofu
02-21-2004, 04:15 AM
eh... 30, 35, 40, 45, 60... same difference to me... i dont care... im not gonna bring my car in for no service... i jus do it myself (or have a friend do it) :D
the only thing im bringin my car in to honda is for belts, if i do have them do them for me...
edit: but a friend at honda was tellin me that it's better to check the valves not long after you break the car in... thats all im sayin...