PDA

View Full Version : Installation of Ground Controls

JaYdEeEm
09-30-2002, 02:18 PM
is it easy to install the ground controls or are they hard??...cause i plan on getting them soon...and i was just wondering

fishboy
09-30-2002, 03:19 PM
if you have installed springs on a car before or know your way around a car and have some tools, you can do it.

LazyAzzAzian
09-30-2002, 05:20 PM
with the GC coilovers, is it necessary to do any mods to the existing suspension setup?

DynaSpeed
09-30-2002, 05:49 PM
is it necessary to do any mods to the existing suspension setup? No. Not really. The most is cutting the rear bump-stops in half. And discarding some of the old strut sheath. It's really simple.

BlackSi2002
10-01-2002, 04:10 PM
what about handling, do you notice better handling or is it just lower, i know with the sportlines from eibach you get a great deal of handling increase, but not sure about the ground controls. thanks.

DynaSpeed
10-02-2002, 06:46 AM
the increase in handling is breath-taking.

02TafWhtSi
10-02-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
the increase in handling is breath-taking.

wow thats one of the best reviews I've heard about GC's! And I thought my Pro-Kits were good...but breath-taking!! Wow.

TheRoxorcist
10-02-2002, 06:55 PM
well you do have to realize that ground controls are mounted on eibach springs so you get the best of both worlds :)

DownTheHatch
10-02-2002, 07:18 PM
If GC's are breath taking with stock shocks. They must be life taking with Koni's.

JaYdEeEm
10-05-2002, 12:34 PM
installing the ground controls do you have to cut anything to put on the coilovers?? does anyone have pics of the coilover sitting on the shock??

ep3
10-30-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by DynaSpeed
No. Not really. The most is cutting the rear bump-stops in half. And discarding some of the old strut sheath. It's really simple.

i'm planning on getting these coilovers. i was wondering if anyone had pics of this step???? thanx!!!

fishboy
10-30-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by JaYdEeEm
installing the ground controls do you have to cut anything to put on the coilovers?? does anyone have pics of the coilover sitting on the shock??

rear left: sorry for the blur

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/9140/p/122135_8050830488008073908_vl.jpg

my car is set lower than the pic now. that was pretty much the top and it drops your car like an inch.

Silver2K2SI
10-30-2002, 12:54 PM
I'm rolling on ground controls now. The handling is much better, the ride is still really good. The installation wasn't too bad. The ball joint is a bitch but hey...and you have to be careful to not let the axels slip out of the drive shafts that sucks too!

DocofMind
10-30-2002, 01:28 PM
The ground controls use Eibach ERS springs which are not the same as the pro kit springs. The ERS springs are not progressive like the pro kits are. This basically gives you and ground control the ability to specifically tune your suspension to your own needs. The ERS springs come in an assortment of different spring rates so you can customize your application.

Keep a few things in mind though. The best way and most important thing to do to truly get the best out of any height adjustable system out there, is to have the corner balanced while you get it aligned. This allows the weight to be distibuted properly and will effectively improve your handling.
you may spend a little more to do this, a lot of places dont have the proper equipment but it is essential for suspension tuning.

DocofMind
10-30-2002, 01:31 PM
BTW, for the money, when done right as i described above, this is the best way to properly lower your car. There are many other companies that sell knock off models of ground contorls but do not be fooled. They do not take the time that GC does with R & D to provide you with the right spring rates for each specific application.

I myself was going to go this route but decided on a JIC set up instead:p

labelhunter
10-30-2002, 06:00 PM
How easy is it to adjust your rides. like could i lower it when i parked then when i wanted to leave raise it. how do you do it

myeverlovinsir
10-30-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by labelhunter
How easy is it to adjust your rides. like could i lower it when i parked then when i wanted to leave raise it. how do you do it

Good question, I would like to know the same. tks

fishboy
10-30-2002, 06:09 PM
i don't think you can do it like that, that often, but you could if you really wanted too. you have to jack up the car to get the the fronts and you have to jack up the rear and take off the rim to get the ones back there. but once you have access to them it is just a matter of losening an allen bolt then turning to adjust the height. pretty easy. the threads on the gcs are bigger so you don't have to turn as much as the skunks.

labelhunter
10-30-2002, 06:12 PM
ow thanks so its not a day and night type thing but maybe a weekly lol Thanks Man I may get them next spring.

fishboy
10-30-2002, 06:19 PM
no problem glad i could help.

myeverlovinsir
10-30-2002, 06:28 PM
yes thanks fishy!