PDA

View Full Version : remove the cat-converter??

vampire666
02-20-2004, 07:23 PM
I got a question I'm thinking on remove my cat-converter..and of course put a straight pipe....the question is, this going a giveme a couple of h/p....what you guys think....and the sensors.???..any ideas.....thanx

mrfixit687
02-20-2004, 09:30 PM
i think its stupid to remove the cat for a couple of hp on a slow car and end up polluting the planet in the process. and you'll get the check engine light

Chinaboy
02-21-2004, 12:24 AM
depending on where you are living in the US... like in california... CHP or any law enforcement sniff out your pollutant while following you can tow your car and give you a 3000 fine for no cat on your car... only if your car is track ready, then removing cat is not one of your wises choices. High flow cat gives you very very insufficent gain in hp moreoever... agreeded with mrfixit, why would you pollute the world in doing so with a cel light, that is juss ricidulous =D

If you want more power, stright pipe ain't shit..

new header.... bigger diameter piping.... better flowing exhasut... that is all you need in this department

Rueda del Queso
02-21-2004, 09:22 AM
Just get an O2 sim, no more CEL. And screw the environment, what the hell did it ever do for us? It tries to kill us all the time with earthquakes, tornadoes, and insane sharks. It's time we fought back by killing one cat at a time.

Silentplanet
02-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Insane sharks? How do you know that - I mean, just because they mistake us for tender juicy seals does not make them insane...

djsolution
02-21-2004, 04:37 PM
I agree with Queso. The sharks must be stopped. Also, I think the test pipe/O2 sim combo is a good one. I've had it for a few months now and love it. Sure it stinks and is loud and pollutes the environment, but I'm just that much faster now. Environment-shmironment

!@#$%
02-21-2004, 11:40 PM
personally, id take the money for a straight pipe and use it towards a more engine-oriented mod.

jball
02-22-2004, 12:35 AM
Don't do it man. The Honda cat is actually pretty free-flowing. It only produces a pound or two of back pressure. With no cat, you can actually reduce the flow velocity, which equals loss of low end power. The only reason to remove the cat or replace it with a high flow model is for sanctioned racing or with a FI setup. just my advice.:)

03EP3Si
02-22-2004, 01:00 AM
ok i gotta disagree with everyone who says taking out the cat is pointless. I have intake header and an exhaust. when i slapped on the high flow downpipe/cat i felt a ridiculous power increase on the butt dyno. so i dont know what you guys are talking about, and yeah down side is the dam cel comes on and if cops figure out you got no cat your screwed, but power wise youll feel a difference if you have a header on there. if you guys want proof ill even pull a dyno run for you.! Lataz

KeNnYtAkEr
02-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Just op for the high flow cats. just as good and it's not as loud man. the stright pipe is gonna have some hugh sound. If u have a ticket called "sound pollution" like we do in canada then I wouldn't do it. up to u man ;)

Chinaboy
02-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 03EP3Si
ok i gotta disagree with everyone who says taking out the cat is pointless. I have intake header and an exhaust. when i slapped on the high flow downpipe/cat i felt a ridiculous power increase on the butt dyno. so i dont know what you guys are talking about, and yeah down side is the dam cel comes on and if cops figure out you got no cat your screwed, but power wise youll feel a difference if you have a header on there. if you guys want proof ill even pull a dyno run for you.! Lataz

no doubt there will gains, but I still do'nt think it is that much of a gain, and either way the amount that you gain, could not worth the risk of getting caught, and have car impounded and paying a 3000 fine for having a cat off your car...

yeah show us some dynos man, I would love to see that for a comparison dude.

Rueda del Queso
02-22-2004, 03:03 PM
If you live in Cali, then yeah, probably not a good idea. Most other states aren't quite as strict though.

younggotti266
02-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by mrfixit687
i think its stupid to remove the cat for a couple of hp on a slow car and end up polluting the planet in the process. and you'll get the check engine light

So true,

The catalytic converter basically turns all the bad shit in the
exhaust into H2O and CO2, if it's not there your just spittin
out CO ( carbon monoxide) NOx (oxides of nitrogen)
& HC (hydro carbons) which are all harmfull to humans & the enviroment

It's basically poisoning the air

dofu
02-22-2004, 03:42 PM
im assuming the cleaner you're burning, the clearer the fumes, right? can you see a difference in your exhaust fumes when you take out the cat??? (water dripping, white smoke, blue smoke, etc???)

03EP3Si
02-22-2004, 09:20 PM
No ive seen no difference. I smell somthing once in a while but thats it.

dofu
02-23-2004, 02:23 AM
No ive seen no difference. I smell somthing once in a while but thats it.

coo... thanks.

younggotti266
02-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by dofu
im assuming the cleaner you're burning, the clearer the fumes, right? can you see a difference in your exhaust fumes when you take out the cat??? (water dripping, white smoke, blue smoke, etc???)

Water dripping would be a result of the catalytic converter working

White smoke would probably be a bad head gasket
&
Blue smoke could be oil burning

All of which have nothing to do with results of removing the cat.

dofu
02-23-2004, 09:28 AM
white and blue smoke can be many different things... running too rich, too lean, burning oil like you said, etc... but i was jus using those as examples, so... im worried that there's a visual clue for ppl (popo) to see that im not running a cat.

fsugatorbait
02-23-2004, 12:12 PM
white and blue smoke can be many different things... running too rich, too lean, burning oil like you said, etc... but i was jus using those as examples, so... im worried that there's a visual clue for ppl (popo) to see that im not running a cat.

none, other than the power increase the only other thing I noticed was a change in the engine noise. Ive been running one for about 3k now, the increase in power is very noticable and was by far the best of the i/h/e additions ive made. Our cars are already a LEV, so running a strait pipe will not drastically change anything.

Hatch02SI
02-24-2004, 08:38 AM
So what kinda of gains can you feel after the i/h/e & cat. set-up... What kinda set up are you all going with... and is it worth it to get one.. besides the fact of the 02 sensor going off... I am very intrested in learning more about this now. As of now I have v2 intake, hks exhaust, and dc ceramic header.
-jon

fsugatorbait
02-24-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Hatch02SI
So what kinda of gains can you feel after the i/h/e & cat. set-up... What kinda set up are you all going with... and is it worth it to get one.. besides the fact of the 02 sensor going off... I am very intrested in learning more about this now. As of now I have v2 intake, hks exhaust, and dc ceramic header.
-jon

The test pipe honestly felt like I added i/h/e all over again in the top end. It was that much of a difference and the casper's o2 sim will get rid of the CEL. For $80 bucks or so on ebay that you can get this unit for, its almost ridiculous not too.

dofu
02-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
the casper's o2 sim will get rid of the CEL. For $80 bucks or so on ebay that you can get this unit for, its almost ridiculous not too.

they sell em for $78 at caspers electronics... how do those things work anyways? im hearin 02 sims dont work well with the k20 ecu, but then im hearin eps havent had problems with them... i got one waiting for me to do the install... you runnin this 02 sim?

fsugatorbait
02-24-2004, 09:44 AM
they sell em for $78 at caspers electronics... how do those things work anyways? im hearin 02 sims dont work well with the k20 ecu, but then im hearin eps havent had problems with them... i got one waiting for me to do the install... you runnin this 02 sim?

Yes, I have the sim, its a direct plug and play designed to work with the K-series engine. Ive been running it for almost 2k miles with no CEL and know of at least 2 other users with the same unit who also have no problem. HTH.

dofu
02-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Yes, I have the sim, its a direct plug and play designed to work with the K-series engine. Ive been running it for almost 2k miles with no CEL and know of at least 2 other users with the same unit who also have no problem. HTH.

coo... thanks for the info. good to kno i wont be f@ck'd after i drop everything in... jus be nice to have some boost to go with everything tho :D

2.0L Monster
02-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Our cars are already a LEV, so running a strait pipe will not drastically change anything.

The bad thing about removing the cat is not the amount of emmisions that the car produces, its the type of emmisions. So instead of producing a small amount of greenhouse gasses, you produce odorless, colorless, tasteless poisons.

younggotti266
02-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Our cars are already a LEV, so running a strait pipe will not drastically change anything.

LEV just means its putting out less emissions than a suv or v8

One of the most important parts of the emissions sytems is
the catalytic converter......

like 2.0Lmonster
said,"instead of producing a small amount of greenhouse gasses, you produce odorless, colorless, tasteless poisons."

Such as Carbon Monoxide, Hydrocarbons, Noxides of Oxygen

!@#$%
02-24-2004, 02:57 PM
taking off the cat is would be like putting one more expedition or durango on the road.

2.0L Monster
02-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Thats my point, taking off your cat makes your little civic worse than another durango on the road. Much worse. A lot of carbon dioxide and water is so much better than a little carbon monoxide, unburned hydrocarbons(which most of them with longer carbon chains than butane cause cancer), hydrogen trisulfide(which can turn into sulfuric acid), ...

The list goes on. If you car at all about the enviornment, use a catlitic converter.

Rueda del Queso
02-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Heh, I guess I am exempt from using one.

SpoonEP3
02-24-2004, 04:53 PM
what kind of high flow cat are you using, and does the check engine light come on? thanks because i want to get one....

rs_1101
02-24-2004, 08:47 PM
im gonna lay it down for you right here:

no cat doesnt work too well. our cars are exhaust driven. removing a cat will cause your car to sense richness/leanness badly and the only way to get around that is alot of dyno time with the vafc. some members here awhile back reported many problems with straighpiping and one member even had his car dyno'd at 127 hp to the wheels. that doesnt sound good to me, especially considering the mods he had on his car.

idk.. cat removal will only really help you if your boosted or in some situation where you love to worry about your car and spend lots of time tuning it.

youd be better off buying aems underdrive pulley set.

ps. i wouldnt be too worried about the environment, a 2 liter honda cant do that much damage.

G-J
02-25-2004, 06:01 PM
My experience:

01 Accord V6

Dyno'ed 5whp gain
mid hp mostly gained
CEL was on

Had a friend test my car on emissions
-Passed smog emission testing-
-Wouldn't pass visual- Well... duh :D

When I had it I was pulled over for speeding and once for an illegal search - Oh I mean I was "swerving". I was ticketed for no amber reflectors and eyebrows, but never even questioned the exhaust and he spent some time talking about my tinted taillights behind my car.

Worth it yes... just be smart and know its illegal.

ep3hatchattack
02-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Silentplanet
Insane sharks? How do you know that - I mean, just because they mistake us for tender juicy seals does not make them insane...

LMFAO!!!!!!!! I hate internet "lingo" but i think that calls for a little abbreviating......

phatfreeza
02-26-2004, 03:08 AM
think of the children people... THE CHILDREN!!! :'( :'( :'(

03EP3Si
02-26-2004, 10:07 AM
Well i dunno man, ive had this Racing pipe with high flow cat for about a few months now. and the Car pulls hard as hell up top, so i know i got more power out of this, a significant amount. well like i said before in another post i will dyno with all my mods and let you know whats going on. UNO!

aRz
02-28-2004, 04:47 PM
i removed my cat, felt a huge power gain espessially top end, the car runs real hard on the high-way,
just make sure when the plug in your 02 sensors to your pipe the give the cable enough slack i fucked mine up like that...!