PDA

View Full Version : Someone Please Help Me

03CivicSi
02-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Okay, as for suspension... two kits that are on the top of my list(from people's opinions).. Tein Basics and Mugen Sports Suspension Kit.

50% of the people I talk to are mad in love with Tein the other 50% are mad in love with Mugen.. I DONT KNOW WHICH TO GO WITH, can someone with a bunch of modificados, and you have one of these rate it. I want a suspension that can handle a LOT of performance because that is what I am going to aim for. I want a Nice enough ride height for an Ep with 17x7" rims(width doesnt matter but whatever), and no bodykit because it looks sweet enough without one lowered, and I want to use the money elsewhere.

I care about ride height(a nice drop again, on 17"s, but dont plan to always read just or whatever), feel(none of the oh to stiff or oh to soft) just something that performs better than stock without FEELING like the car's gonna flip, lol.

Any facts would be appreciated, and I don't want a million of simple opinions without a backup statement. Some writeups:)

Sorry if I am asking for too much but try to understand what looking for the best suspension for your ride is and having 645 people telling you one is obsolete and having 645 people telling you the other is.

THANKS!!:)

chet
02-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Just curious, are the Tein basics adjustable coilovers?? I have KW V2's, so bear w/me for a minute. And the Mugens are a non adjustable setup. Correct?? So I would first ask, what do you want out of your suspension?? Do you want lots of control in terms of ride height, etc. Or is it more about pure quality w/out the added adjustability.

BTW, the reason I went with the KW's is because they're the only Stainless steel set, I live in Indiana with all of the salt and sand on the roads in the wintertime. Otherwise I would have went with the Mugens. I know you didn't want pure opinions but I had to ask you those ?'s:)

03CivicSi
02-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Mugen are non-adjustable... but if they have a nice evenly-spaced gap around the tire(if you know what I mean by it[17" rims]), but once I lower I'm not planning on changing it because I really wouldnt need to... But I just want a setup that is RELIABLE, something I dont have to tune A LOT, and something that handles Good.(basically like what everyone else would want), except out of these two choices.

esmith13
02-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Well, if you don't mine the possible salt related issues with the mugen - their better for one important reason. They relocate the control arms so even tho your lowered you don't suffer from bump steer due to the steering rods being bent in a V shape from being lowered. Bump steer is a commonly overlooked equasion in suspension setups. No matter how good the spring rate is or the dampeners - if you car flings itself left or right when you go over bumps or potholes i would consider that setup 'less ideal' when it comes to quality/ride.

... I'm too poor to own any of these setups now, but i did have race springs with a 2.25" drop - so i know how bad bump steer can be and why you want to avoid it at all costs...

Eric

03CivicSi
02-21-2004, 07:59 PM
What are the salt-related issues? we don't have a lot of salt except in the winter when the ice and snow is out.. so maybe they can be the set I go with.

esmith13
02-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Apparently there are parts of the strut assembly that corrode due to salt. Sea salt in the air and ESPECIALLY road saly to melt snow/ice in the winter cause the problem...

Eric

Peking
02-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by esmith13
Apparently there are parts of the strut assembly that corrode due to salt. Sea salt in the air and ESPECIALLY road saly to melt snow/ice in the winter cause the problem...

Eric

Eric doesn't the Mugen have a dust boot? Or is that not enough to keep crap out?

03CivicSi
02-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Yeah, we he said^. Any soft of protective sealant or cover you can use to keep that in condition?