PDA

View Full Version : hondata review after 500 miles

Black 02 SI
02-22-2004, 02:05 PM
well when i first put on the reflash the car felt better, but it felt like it was not getting any power much past redline. well after about 500 miles of normal driving i got on it again, and this time it flew way past redline up to 8k with no problem and it felt like it would pull past it. i guess it just need to re-adjust to the car and everything like it does after you reset your ecu. anyone with hondata notice that as you drive it the car seems to get faster and faster? all in all the more i drive with it the more i am liking it.

dave

BlackSi613nin
02-22-2004, 09:03 PM
im sendin my ecu/imobilizer/key out tomarow morning.. cant wait!!!! excited

joHn

DavidT
02-22-2004, 09:24 PM
I dunno about it getting faster and faster, but it sure does impress passengers when you go past redline and dip past the 8 on the tach. Hondata part throttle response is fantastic, and upper RPM power is worth every penny. BlackSi613nin you will love it guarantied.

Black 02 SI
02-22-2004, 09:30 PM
well yeah it's not getting any faster now, but def got faster after i drove it a few hundred miles. yeah your gonna love it :)

chubbychu
02-22-2004, 09:55 PM
i can vouch for hondata.david T let me drive his. its not like gut-wrenching power addition, but its the little things that really stuck out to me.

smoother power distribution all over the "powerband(?)"
seeing the little needle go PAST the little red line.
somewhat of a better throttle response. it was definitely fun.
and just really really smooth

redronin22
02-22-2004, 10:25 PM
i think some people want k20a2 power for 600 bucks. it aint gonna happen from just remapping the fuel map fellas. imo its worth for those extra revs. try adding a light weight flywheel and you're gonna be like whoah...

trump
02-23-2004, 10:59 AM
hey all, i'm new to the site, and i figured i'd start here with my first post.

i bought an 03 Civic Si about a week ago, and i'm definitely a newb when it comes to tuning on Si's (or any car for that matter). i've been reading on hondata's site about the reflash for the ECU. i'm interested, but hesitant. so, i have a few questions to you guys (and/or girls) who have this mod.

btw. i was extremely unimpressed by the fuel economy of my Si. i traded in a 93 jeep grand cherokee which gave me slightly less than comparable mpg at 80 mph. so....

1. how does this affect fuel economy? are hondata's claims that i "can use one gear higher" than normal actually true? with more hp and torque, will i be able to cruise 80 mph with better mpg?

2. if i'm going to install a turbo in the future, what mods are suggested with the reflash? i understand that buying a header is pointless since turbo kits come with a header...? so just intake and exhaust? (and is this chart accurate? http://www.hondata.com/images/k20a3ancivicsi.gif )

3. if not the hondata reflash, what are some inexpensive mods to give me better torque and hp (and hopefully acheive better gas milage)?

thanks
brad

Tenacious G
02-23-2004, 11:16 AM
first off, welcome to the site.

there's lots of good info here. don't let the search button be a stranger.

1. how does this affect fuel economy? are hondata's claims that i "can use one gear higher" than normal actually true? with more hp and torque, will i be able to cruise 80 mph with better mpg?

i don't think Hondata will give you better gas mileage. what kind of mpg are you getting now? on my road trips, i haven't seen anything less than 29 mpg ... with three passengers. hondata won't help your gearing, it just extends each gear to about 7700 rpm (fuel cutoff).

2. if i'm going to install a turbo in the future, what mods are suggested with the reflash? i understand that buying a header is pointless since turbo kits come with a header...? so just intake and exhaust? (and is this chart accurate?

the reflash is not made for use with a turbo or N20. hondata does have a programmable ECU coming out for the K20A3 which you can use to tune with FI or nitrous. the chart is accurate, but anyone with hondata will tell you, you don't get this mod for peak hp and tq improvements. it improves the overall fun-to-drive factor of the EP. better throttle response, extra revs, etc.

3. if not the hondata reflash, what are some inexpensive mods to give me better torque and hp (and hopefully acheive better gas milage)?

your basic bolt-ons will net you about 15 whp. most members with I/H/E see about 150-ish whp. i can't really say what they're gas mileage is like because everyone drives differently. i usually see 26-28 mpg in stop-and-go traffic. but i drive somewhat conservatively.

hth

trump
02-23-2004, 11:34 AM
thanks for the info. this is a great site with tons of info!

i haven't seen more than 250 miles to a tank of gas, but i've also been punching the gas a little since i've passed my 600 mile break-in period. generally, i only get 230 miles per tank, and i've tried 87 and 91 octane without a noticable difference.

if i understand correctly, the best way to produce more hp and tourque is through i/h/e....right? does anyone sell a i/h/e kit for the 03 Si? i don't really want a screaming exhaust because i'd like to be able to hear my stereo, and my bike is quite loud enough.

also, i've been told that removing my cat will increase power. is that true?

(newb question)What is EP?

Tenacious G
02-23-2004, 12:06 PM
taken to PM so as not to further hijack the thread.

CIVICBOOST
06-14-2004, 04:49 PM
I have had the Hondata flash since it came out, and I've put about 8K miles on it....I havent noticed any further improvement performance wise until I swapped the Injen SRI for the Mugen airbox. That combo equals insane mid-range and its complimented my other performance mods nicely.

-Rob

Az02Si
06-15-2004, 12:33 PM
I have 40K on my flash and its fine.Part throttle response is GREAT like many others said......Best mod for the EP IMHO,i mean come on,a good catback is the same price and dosent give you anything NEAR what the Hondata does as far as drivability is concerned.......

BlackSi613nin
06-15-2004, 01:09 PM
i have put a good 5000 miles on hondata, and redline it pretty often, i love it, but am now goin to get greddy turbo... and im stuck between giving up hondata, or gettin greddy reflash (another 200 bux) or kpro (another 500) but after purchase of turbo, im not goin to have much money left.. either way, hondata has been the best mod that i have done for my car to date.

joHn

trk
06-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Az02Si
I have 40K on my flash and its fine.Part throttle response is GREAT like many others said......Best mod for the EP IMHO,i mean come on,a good catback is the same price and dosent give you anything NEAR what the Hondata does as far as drivability is concerned.......

40k on Hondata? can I ask some questions...

Do you redline (hit 7700 rev limiter) your car?

Have you had a valve adjustment ever? Does your engine tick at all?

The elevation you live at? Same gas everytime? or random gas? etc....

I'm very curious... I had a hondata'd engine blow up and I am just looking for info... you seem to have the oldest hondata flash on here ... so, maybe you could PM me... Thanks.

1fastminivan
06-15-2004, 09:18 PM
what trk asked..:D

zirai10
06-16-2004, 07:56 AM
after the flash, doesnt it hurt your ep at all to run it up to 8 grand?? just looking for some more info before i try it because it is something i have been contemplating....??