PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust - header question

priest6479
02-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Ok this is a question that has been passed around but I don't seem to see an answer to my question.

I Have a AEM CAI installed now, I want to install an exhaust and a header.

I had a DC sports header on my EX and it was nice so I think I will go with that, as for exhaust I was thinking either the HKS or the Magnaflow, more toward the magnaflow.

I had a greddy Evo on my EX and I lost all throttle response and low end power, seemed all that exhaust was good for was the highway because it made things smoother but it robbed all pickup I had. I want an exhaust that gives me more balls overall , not just top end, also I was leaning toward the magnaflow because it didn't have that huge ass pipe sticking out the back that's size of my nuts. I also I want to make sure that it doesn't have that droning sound while driving at top rpm.

OR>>>> I was going to get a custom 2.25 custom pipe from the cat and run it to the stock muffler in the back, cheaper solution overall, also I could remove the mid pipe and install the stock one again if needed.
I need some input here guys, whadda ya think?

Vertigo
02-23-2004, 12:23 AM
It's the total i/h/e package that helps. Your EX probaly didn't have the torque of the K20 either. On a full cat-back system you lose a bit of low end power for that top end kick. The people with the mid-pipes seem to have good overall power through the power band. I have a Skunk2 cat-back with Injen cai and DC header. The exhaust is rather loud but deep and ballsy. I have the removeable silencer in there right now and in quiets down the exhause alot. It's all in what your looking for.

priest6479
02-23-2004, 06:13 AM
I'm just looking for an exhaust that gives a lil more power and doesn't rob anything low end, and doesn't sound like a lawnmower on x-tacy.

dofu
02-23-2004, 06:27 AM
well, you lost low end power because you opened up your exhaust and lost some back pressure, simple as that... and when i say exhaust, i mean anything from the header on back. but the dc header for our car retains a lot of the low end power. if you get a midpipe, you'd get the best of both worlds. but if you get a cat back exhaust system, you'll lose a little power on the low end. imo, it's barely noticable

priest6479
02-23-2004, 06:41 AM
So your saying get the DC header and get a custom 2.25 straight midpipe to the Stock muffler and that shoul work pretty good for me?

And yes I beleive in the thoery of back pressue as well.

Lucid Moments
02-23-2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by priest6479
So your saying get the DC header and get a custom 2.25 straight midpipe to the Stock muffler and that shoul work pretty good for me?

And yes I beleive in the thoery of back pressue as well.

That is exactly what I have and I love it. I havn't noticed any loss down low, and there are some serious gains at the higher revs. I also have an AEM CAI with it.

priest6479
02-23-2004, 06:52 AM
I'm gonna do eeet!

Now you just have a pipe that runs from the cat to the stock muffler in the rear right? I guess would be the axleback portion of it? you pretty much just removed the middle pipe all in all? i can prob call Mineke and have them do that pretty cheap.

priest6479
02-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Anyone have this setup?

Im just looking for opinions.

Lucid Moments
02-23-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm gonna do eeet!

Now you just have a pipe that runs from the cat to the stock muffler in the rear right? I guess would be the axleback portion of it? you pretty much just removed the middle pipe all in all? i can prob call Mineke and have them do that pretty cheap.

That is exactly what I have. I had it done at the local Mighty Muffler, 2.25" crush bent no resonator from the cat to the stock muffler. MM charged me $64

priest6479
02-23-2004, 07:31 PM
How loud is it? does it have a hollow tin kinda sound to it, my local Meineke told me it would make that sound and have no effect what so ever on my car.

I figure that and a header will allow more exhaust to flow out but the stock muffler gives a lil back pressure. also can you swap out that mid pipe in case you need to go back to stock again?

sorry for the 20 questions but I want to be sure about this before I do it.

dofu
02-23-2004, 07:56 PM
or you can jus get a full catback exhaust that has the option of a silencer like the tanabe, apexi, etc... i have aem/rs akimoto cai, dc header, tanabe exhaust. without the silencer, the car is pretty loud, and has more top end. with the silencer, it feels and sounds like stock muffler with midpipe

Lucid Moments
02-23-2004, 09:54 PM
How loud is it? does it have a hollow tin kinda sound to it, my local Meineke told me it would make that sound and have no effect what so ever on my car.

I figure that and a header will allow more exhaust to flow out but the stock muffler gives a lil back pressure. also can you swap out that mid pipe in case you need to go back to stock again?

sorry for the 20 questions but I want to be sure about this before I do it.

I had the midpipe done first last summer, and with the AEM CAI and midpipe the sound was deep and kind of throaty. Didn't feel any difference down low, Maybe I lost a little, but too little to tell, but up high there were some real gains, especially above 5k rpm it really opened things up. When I added the DC sports header it actually quieted down a little bit, and added even more power. I haven't tried other combo's so I won't say this is the best cause I don't know, but I will say it is a good combo.