PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers and corrosion??????

civicracer1128
02-22-2004, 09:19 PM
well i was reading a KW ad and noticed theyre saying that they wont rust...is that such a problem??????????????? im looking more toward tein basics(just for cost alone). theyre teflon coated. how long does that last????? i just ask this becuase strangely enough ive only heard of this being a problem in KWs ads.

fsugatorbait
02-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by civicracer1128
well i was reading a KW ad and noticed theyre saying that they wont rust...is that such a problem??????????????? im looking more toward tein basics(just for cost alone). theyre teflon coated. how long does that last????? i just ask this becuase strangely enough ive only heard of this being a problem in KWs ads.

Over the course of a few years in the NE area with the constant salt and sand they put on the roads, corrosion can become a problem. To the best of my knowledge, KW is the only manufacteur who makes their coilovers in stainless so that is probably why you only hear about corrosion being a problem with them. Why would Tein advertise a deficiency in their product?

DeadMonkey
02-23-2004, 04:54 PM
If you just take the time to clean off your coilover struts from road salts and chemicals, it's really not that big of a deal. KW using stainless steel to build their struts is just a big gimmick anyway. Stainless doesn't have the tensile strength of regular steel.

andy
02-23-2004, 04:59 PM
I bought my Teins used off a guy in Michigan. They looked brand new
when I got them, but I'm not sure if he really had them on during
winter (isn't it winter up there all the time? ;)) or not.

Whenever I pull the wheels off, I usually try to wipe them down and
WD-40 them, just to keep 'em clean and adjustable.

jaydub
02-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by andy
I bought my Teins used off a guy in Michigan. They looked brand new
when I got them, but I'm not sure if he really had them on during
winter (isn't it winter up there all the time? ;)) or not.

Whenever I pull the wheels off, I usually try to wipe them down and
WD-40 them, just to keep 'em clean and adjustable.
the wd-40 trick is excellent advice. :cool:

civicracer1128
02-24-2004, 09:31 AM
yeah, sounds good. im probibly just gonna go with tein basics. i figure i can go to the carwash and hose em down once a month or so.