PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket springs with stock struts?

rabbitman
02-23-2004, 12:33 PM
it seems like a lot of guys are doing this around here. coming from VW world, it was always advised to go with a good quality strut like bilsteins or koni's when doing the springs. stock shocks/struts lasted like 5k miles before they blew since they're not designed for use with the shorter travel, and then you'd have to take everything apart for the second time to replace them. whats up with the EP's? how long do the original struts last with the lower springs?

andy
02-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Depends on what springs you use.
Some have made it 1-2 years on stock struts with aftermarket springs.
I think these are primarily Eibach/H&R and maybe Tein users.

I know the Neuspeeds can (and probably will) blow your shocks fairly
quick. Keep in mind that there *still* aren't any aftermarket struts/shocks
out for the car yet (full coilovers are available, however).

Soon2beEP3
02-26-2004, 06:09 PM
Ok, I thought Macpherson struts were supposed to be pretty good, I've already had the front passenger side one replaced, Like after 2000 miles. But here's what I need to know. Let me tell you my road conditions first. I live about a mile down a dirt road, bumps about
2-3" tall the entire way. I was gonna order H&R springs tomorrow, I'm just gonna risk bottoming out, I really don't think I will, alot anyways. I have 215/45zr17 tires. I can't afford new struts right now, what I wanna know is when my stock struts go out and I replace them, will aftermarket last longer or will I be looking to replace them in a year or less also?

chet
02-26-2004, 06:15 PM
I know the main reason I did it, was because there were no aftermarket struts available. I know a few guys have Koni's now, but there are no others available at all. Personally, I didn't have any problems. I had Progress springs, not crazy low. I think I put about 10,000 miles on it or so w/that setup.

Soon2beEP3
02-26-2004, 07:02 PM
How did you like the progress springs? They're about a 1.8 inch drop right? I may go with them instead of the H&R, maybe my struts will last a little longer. Plus, what damage will occur riding around on blown struts for say a month or two? besides squeek...squeek...squeek.

chet
02-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Soon2beEP3
How did you like the progress springs? They're about a 1.8 inch drop right? I may go with them instead of the H&R, maybe my struts will last a little longer. Plus, what damage will occur riding around on blown struts for say a month or two? besides squeek...squeek...squeek.

Awesome ride, there was no noise at all. I honestly wish I didn't sell them, because I'd probably go back to them w/ some Koni's. As far as driving around on blown struts, I don't think it would be very healthy for your car. Not sure exactly what could happen but nothing good would come of it.