PDA

View Full Version : paint my head lights

2k2civicSi
09-30-2002, 08:43 PM
ok i think ive finaly got the ballz to do my head lights any tip also should i use a heat restant paint any thing i should know about the oven or the removal of the bumper

thanks

Jpax
09-30-2002, 08:45 PM
i would like to know as well any tips I have the Euro yellow color and was thinking about painting the lights the same color. euro yellow, maybe someone can photo shop it.

Pradamuimui
09-30-2002, 08:51 PM
Good luck to you all who have enough balls to paint ur headlights. I think that I will spend rediculous amounts of money on the CTR headlights!!!

IceD out N CALI
09-30-2002, 09:51 PM
patience, and it will take you 5-8 hours to do

2k2civicSi
09-30-2002, 09:55 PM
i assusme that for the head lights to dry ect....

Mr.02BlackSIguY
09-30-2002, 10:00 PM
i wouldnt have the balls to do it myself. i would rather spend money of the CTR lights and then paint the stock one and see how much i can get it for on ebay and maybe get some money out of it hehe.

2k2civicSi
10-01-2002, 11:19 AM
ok i got hi temp paint but i cant find any sealant is it just silcone sealent or is it made just for head lights
i used the same stuff to paint my plug wire cover and its plastic and it worked great

1fastminivan
10-01-2002, 01:18 PM
one word of advice.......if you are painting these headlamps.....when finished painting and drying the painted portion......take the painted portion seperately before putting it all together and preheat that plastic part that is painted in the oven to "burn in" the hightemp paint........if you just let these pieces dry and put them back into the housings and heat them back up to finally seal them.......you will most likely end up with "foggy" lenses if you dont preheat.....its from the paint smokefumes that will "fog" them up....and you cant fix it.

As for the sealant.......if done properly you wont need any....use the same sealant that is on the housings themselves....that should be sufficient unless you pull it all off then you will have to use silicone. The material used for our housings is different then silicone.....I dont know the exact name or material it is. ;)

Jpax
10-01-2002, 11:01 PM
thanks for the tip. ill will remember that.

02SilverSiHB
10-02-2002, 06:21 AM
I don't know why any of you are getting high temp paint, it isn't needed, and I think it won't look as good, I guess that depends on the color.

As for tips. I would definitely wait till it's completely dry and check for any spots that need to be touched up. After you are finished, put the headlight back together. Put it back in the oven at the same temp, but for 15 minutes......trust me it won't hurt a damn thing. It actually helps alot! when you take it out of the oven, it will be easier to push the headlight assembly back together and you won't really need any sealant. I did my friends that way and didn't use any sealant, except for one headlight, that I didn't put in there for 15 minutes. Just make sure you have a whole day to do it. Don't be in a rush.

02SilverSiHB
10-02-2002, 06:28 AM
here's some pics of mine:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p74e8633d3b7682f6768480f59a7d6921/fd7ab7e3.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p4a71bc49238cc56baaa682a22e35aa83/fd7ab7e2.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/pfd1af0d1d5b8227bfa7b4563afe72331/fd78ed9b.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pc7ec1603144b0af25e59a89c10b5c7bd/fd6446e8.jpg

And as for why I say not to be in a hurry and to take your time....my passenger side headlight will get a little condensation and water deposits once and a while after I wash the car. I used a little sealant, but I didn't do reseal like I did with my friends....i.e. put it back in the oven for 15 minutes (versus the 5 minutes like the online instructions tell you). It helps soooooooo much. Because that sealant that is there, is so hard to move the headlight assembly in place. When it's damn hot, it's like butter! easy to move and doesn't damage anything
Good luck, and don't worry you won't mess up.

Jpax
10-02-2002, 10:54 AM
WOW!!!!! That looks sweet. i love the way it matches the car. i wish you were near seattle i would let you do mine:p Thanks for the tips I plan on doing it next paycheck. (2weeks) That oven trick for 15mins is price less information. THANKS.

02SilverSiHB
10-02-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by PaXiE
WOW!!!!! That looks sweet. i love the way it matches the car. i wish you were near seattle i would let you do mine:p Thanks for the tips I plan on doing it next paycheck. (2weeks) That oven trick for 15mins is price less information. THANKS.
no prob, just take your time ;)

NamingException
10-06-2002, 12:06 AM
Well, my second headlight is back in the oven, and I've got some tips.

1. Plan for it to take a long time. It takes a long time. A reeeeeeealy long time.

2. Think hard about where you want the paint. I like Organdonor's lights, so I modelled mine somewhat after his. I would definitely do it a bit different than I did if I could do it over again though.

3. Be extremely careful edging your mask. This seems obvious, but be really careful. Mine doesn't look so good up close in some spots. Use the straight edge of the tape to edge a section you want to mask, then fill in the middle area.

4. The sealant stuff is a complete bitch. I'm trying to just use the stuff that it came with, and not add any. We'll see how it works out. This isn't really a tip, is it?

5. Make sure you wipe off any fingerprints from the shiny areas before you reseal the headlight. I'm looking at my second one in disbelief... which leads me to my last tip...

6. Don't do this at three in the morning. I'm all tired and not thinking clearly, and the quality of my work is suffering for it.

I had trouble getting my bumper off because I didn't understand how it was held on. Do a search if it confuses you, DTH helped me figure it out.

All said and done, I think they've come out pretty well. I can't wait to get them back on the car and see how they look.

02SilverSiHB
10-06-2002, 09:54 AM
yeah, I hear ya on number 3 :D Mine isn't perfect, you can only see it up close....I didn't take my time

HondaMan
10-06-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Mr.02BlackSIguY
i wouldnt have the balls to do it myself. i would rather spend money of the CTR lights and then paint the stock one and see how much i can get it for on ebay and maybe get some money out of it hehe.

That's a real good idea!