PDA

View Full Version : AEM cai noise problem!!

jdm02civicK20
02-23-2004, 07:24 PM
I installed my intake last night, when i started my car and let it idle for a min its started makeing a weird nosie like a grinding squeaky. The noise was horrible, so I reinstalled my stock intake and the nosie went away. Please help ID the nosie. Thanks,

Peking
02-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by jdm02civicK20
I installed my intake last night, when i started my car and let it idle for a min its started makeing a weird nosie like a grinding squeaky. The noise was horrible, so I reinstalled my stock intake and the nosie went away. Please help ID the nosie. Thanks,

Have you ever had an intake before? Have you ever heard anyone else's? The intake will make a different sound then the stock box. It does not have the bends and resonator like the stock box has, so it will be louder. The sound should almost be like a hissing. Also when you turn the car off, it will sound like someone is letting the air out :D

jdm02civicK20
02-23-2004, 08:45 PM
no ive own intakes before its not that sound i know what a intake sound like. Its a hard grinding nosie never heard it before..

Aaron 02 Si
02-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Believe it or not, but sound waves are causing the grinding noise. If you don't install the Air Intake correctly, the sound waves caused by air going into the intake resonate in a extremely fast and violent way. The violent resonation makes the intake vibrate against the other engine components. The vibration of the intake and the other engine components causes the "grinding" noise you hear.

The new AEM V2 air intake uses sound resonance to enhance the performance of the air intake by compressing the soundwaves in the air, and increases airflow, thus adding more power.

jdm02civicK20
02-23-2004, 10:36 PM
what part of the intake would cause that noise. I was sure to bolt everything correctly.

SF-SI-02
02-24-2004, 08:48 AM
maybe thats the problem... I remember when I installed mine I took some of the rubber off of the stock box and put it on thde intake so that where it was bolted on there was no metat to metal connections. Try using th stock rubber grommets and see if it makes a difference.

RockEP_SS**
02-24-2004, 01:59 PM
I had the same problem. It sounded like there was a turkey under my hood! Nothing I tried fixed the problem, so I switched over to Injen. No probs with the Injen CAI, and IMO the gains were better as well.

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

dtexan
02-24-2004, 02:10 PM
hey nice avatar

Si4U2NV
02-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by RockEP_SS**
I had the same problem. It sounded like there was a turkey under my hood! Nothing I tried fixed the problem, so I switched over to Injen. No probs with the Injen CAI, and IMO the gains were better as well.

Rocky
Showstoppers USA

the answer to your problem and jdm02civicK20's is simple...

the breather tube is folding causin air pressure to build up. once it builds up it squeezes thru the tube causing the sound... fix the kink in the tube and u'll be fine.

to prove it...start the car, wait till it makez the noise and unplug the breather... u hear a "psshhh" and soundz gone...

enjoy kids!

-Mike:smilem:

jdm02civicK20
02-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Thanks alot with the help but another problem came up one of my motor mount shifted and i had to take it back to honda.

chunky
02-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Aaron 02 Si
Believe it or not, but sound waves are causing the grinding noise. If you don't install the Air Intake correctly, the sound waves caused by air going into the intake resonate in a extremely fast and violent way. The violent resonation makes the intake vibrate against the other engine components. The vibration of the intake and the other engine components causes the "grinding" noise you hear.

The new AEM V2 air intake uses sound resonance to enhance the performance of the air intake by compressing the soundwaves in the air, and increases airflow, thus adding more power.

wow, you have no idea what you're talking about.

do yourself a favor and do not try to eplain topics that are clearly beyond your reach.

<end asshole reply>

the kinked breather hose is a much more likely culprit. there shouldn't be a grinding noise unless something is vibrating or you have a kinked or mis-connected hose.

Aaron 02 Si
02-25-2004, 01:46 PM
why don't you do yourself a favor and quit being an asshole by putting down others' possible causes for this problem. you should try to have more constructive criticism without sounding like a total jerk.

chunky
02-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Aaron 02 Si
why don't you do yourself a favor and quit being an asshole by putting down others' possible causes for this problem. you should try to have more constructive criticism without sounding like a total jerk.

I'm well aware that I was sounding like a jerk, but his explanation was totally useless and misleading. He was trying to use the intake resonance phenomenoa as the explanation for the original poster's problem. But he clearly has zero understanding of what intake resonance is. He just heard it/read it somewhere and is trying to make himself sound smart. I guess that rubs me the wrong way when it's so obvious that someone is talking above their own knowledge/experience level.

besides, with as many useful posts as I make around here, I think i'm allowed to be an asshole every now and again. It's just a message board, so don't take everything I say so seriously.

BTW, in case you were wondering if i know what intake resonance is in my own words. . .

Intake resonance refers to the alignment of reflected sound waves at a specific area in order to create a high pressure zone. High pressure = denser air.

Intake resonance is most useful in the intake manifold, although other parts of the intake can take advantage of this phenomenoa to help torque production (air intake which feeds the throttle body).

Intake resonance does not "compress sound waves" to "increase airflow." Intake resonances does not change the airflow, it simply creates denser air behind the intake valves & at the throttle body. The result is more air passes through. It's different from changing the flow characteristics in that none of the flow parameters are changed - air velocity stays the same, and cross sectional area is the same.

Exhaust resonance works in much the same way, except that you are creating a low pressure area behind the exhaust valves.

btw. . .I just realized that you are the one who originally posted about the resonance. . .. why don't you do yourself a favor and learn what something is before you try to explain it to someone else?

Peking
02-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by chunky
I'm well aware that I was sounding like a jerk, but his explanation was totally useless and misleading. He was trying to use the intake resonance phenomenoa as the explanation for the original poster's problem. But he clearly has zero understanding of what intake resonance is. He just heard it/read it somewhere and is trying to make himself sound smart. I guess that rubs me the wrong way when it's so obvious that someone is talking above their own knowledge/experience level.
besides, with as many useful posts as I make around here, I think i'm allowed to be an asshole every now and again. It's just a message board, so don't take everything I say so seriously.
BTW, in case you were wondering if i know what intake resonance is in my own words. . .
Intake resonance refers to the alignment of reflected sound waves at a specific area in order to create a high pressure zone. High pressure = denser air.
Intake resonance is most useful in the intake manifold, although other parts of the intake can take advantage of this phenomenoa to help torque production (air intake which feeds the throttle body).
Intake resonance does not "compress sound waves" to "increase airflow." Intake resonances does not change the airflow, it simply creates denser air behind the intake valves & at the throttle body. The result is more air passes through. It's different from changing the flow characteristics in that none of the flow parameters are changed - air velocity stays the same, and cross sectional area is the same.
Exhaust resonance works in much the same way, except that you are creating a low pressure area behind the exhaust valves.
btw. . .I just realized that you are the one who originally posted about the resonance. . .. why don't you do yourself a favor and learn what something is before you try to explain it to someone else?

Damn Chunky, laying the smizzmack :D

Sorry Aaron 02 Si, Chunky is the frickin mang. Some people here give me props for being helpful, yet the true props should go to members like Chunky. He knows what he is talking about. Also nothing against you Aaron cause you were trying to be helpful, it would be best that you know when posting info without a better understanding will sometimes get you negative responses.

G-J
02-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Sorry bro... I gotta go with Chunky on this one. Have you ever heard a resonance that sounded like grinding?? The best thing we can all do is... if you are unsure, let someone else help. Its what I do and it saves the person(s) grief especially since your explaination was that it was normal when its not. Remember people do searches too... what you say may be looked at in the future if this problem happens to another member.

If you don't install the Air Intake correctly, the sound waves caused by air going into the intake resonate in a extremely fast and violent way. The violent resonation makes the intake vibrate against the other engine components.
That violent of a vibration would be from the engine. I have never or ever heard of an engine of our size ever sucking that hard to cause that much vibration to an intake.

myeverlovinsir
02-25-2004, 05:47 PM
The A3 is definitely a great resonating engine in the 4.5k rpm range with I/H/E mods. The same cannot be said for the A2.

chunky
02-25-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by G-J
Sorry bro... I gotta go with Chunky on this one. Have you ever heard a resonance that sounded like grinding?? The best thing we can all do is... if you are unsure, let someone else help. Its what I do and it saves the person(s) grief especially since your explaination was that it was normal when its not. Remember people do searches too... what you say may be looked at in the future if this problem happens to another member.

That violent of a vibration would be from the engine. I have never or ever heard of an engine of our size ever sucking that hard to cause that much vibration to an intake.

haha. thanks for the kind words guys.

I was being an ass, and I'm sorry for that aaron. I was probably having a bad day at work when I made the original post. Like I said, don't take everything I say too personally. I was being a smartass, but I'm not trying to run you off the board or anything like that. But one of my pet peeves is when misinformation is posted, so that's probably why I let the shit fly.

When I don't know the answers, I either look them up from sources smarter than myself and credit my references, or I just say "i don't know." It keeps bad tech from propogating, and makes forums more useful.

jdm02civicK20
02-28-2004, 09:38 AM
found out the problem guys last night, I know this is some noob shit because the breather hoes was bent aginest the battery...