PDA

View Full Version : how strong is the carbon fiber kit/how does it fit

4g63dsm
02-23-2004, 07:59 PM
i really wan the usdm type r kit, but i don't the idea of fiberglass lips breaking. I like the look of carbon fiber and i was wondering if the fiberimages kit is strong.i know that you can jump on the fiber images hoods and they won't break. is the kit the same quality or is it mostly fiberglass like vis hoods. Also price wise how much would it cost to get a the lip kit painted and fitted, how is the fit of the CF kit? is it bolt on like i could install it myself? How much would each kit be installed?

EMI
02-23-2004, 08:21 PM
pending on how it was manufactured. Fiberimages only uses one layer of carbon then the rest fiberglass, since they did this, it will have the same integrity of fiberglass maybe a little stronger but that is it. If they did multiple layers of glass at certain angles it could be really really strong but only being one layer of cloth and the rest glass close to the same

02SilverSiHB
02-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by EMI
pending on how it was manufactured. Fiberimages only uses one layer of carbon then the rest fiberglass, since they did this, it will have the same integrity of fiberglass maybe a little stronger but that is it. If they did multiple layers of glass at certain angles it could be really really strong but only being one layer of cloth and the rest glass close to the same
well, I speak from experience...this kit is strong as hell, much stronger than the way you explain it. So I really don't think you know as much as you thought...if it was that bad, I would have two cracked parts of carbon fiber.

Number 1...first owner hit a deer, it's fine...a littled scarred of course, but not much.

Number 2...I went to fast and ran into a parking curb...the front lip was bent down, I was shitting bricks, thinking it was broke..nope, flexed right back when I backed out...of course there were a couple of scratches.

Number 3...I backed into a freaking parking curb..thinking I was just fine, I get out only to see my rear bumper bent. Pull forward, it flexed back.
Oh, did I mention I autox with it? :)
Pics of the front lip. you can also see the scarrs on the left that I am talking about...again...that's not bad, any carbon fiber, urethane, etc would have scars from hitting a deer and hitting a curb
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjQxNzUyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjQxNzUzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

Rear:
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjQxNzYyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

4g63dsm
02-23-2004, 10:15 PM
thanks for the info on the strength, now how was the fit? and anyone know how much it cost to paint the usdm Type R lip kit?

STP03BlueSI
02-24-2004, 06:58 AM
I love that kit!:D

IIx 03 EP xII
02-24-2004, 08:22 AM
well... the fitment is the issue im having right now. my shop wants it to fit perfectly in the cracks of the doors (the sideskirts that is)... but 02silversihb has been working with me about the fitment issue, and he says it isnt supposed to, cuz it definitely does scrape the door when opening/closing it. im going up to the shop today after school to check it out again and show them the pictures 02silversihb gave me. other than that, the kit fits fine and it looks SICK.

EMI
02-24-2004, 11:42 AM
I never said it was weak and I have been in the carbon and fiberglass business for 12 years so I think that qualifies me. But I never said it was weak. It is all how think it is and the type of resin they used. From what you described it has endured then it must be a semi pressed piece with good quality resin. but I have seen this kit in person and for the most part it is nice and sturdy but it still is close to strength then a fiberglass piece but they used different resin to make it a little stronger

dofu
02-24-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by EMI
Fiberimages only uses one layer of carbon then the rest fiberglass...

I have been in the carbon and fiberglass business for 12 years so I think that qualifies me...

k, im not doubting your experience with cf and fiberglass or anything at that, but you never answered my last question... how do you kno the processes other manufacturers use so well???

btw... 02SilverSiHB... 02SiTuner kinda figured out why you guys read someone sayin the cf hatch is heavier than stock... you replace a heavy hatch with a lighter one, opening it is no prob, light to the touch and easy to open. but when you close it, it takes a lil more muscle coz since you lost weight, there's less pressure on the shocks back there, making it seem like it feels heavier

ULTRAMANIA
02-24-2004, 01:27 PM
taht kit is pimp man... 02silversihb, your car is hot.

EMI
02-24-2004, 02:48 PM
cause I am in the business. It is my business to know how everyone else is doing it :) Plus there is not that many different ways of manufacturing the stuff and most of the time you can tell how something is made by just looking at it.

4g63dsm
02-24-2004, 04:58 PM
so could i install this kit my self or would i have to have a shop fit it?

02SilverSiHB
02-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by 4g63dsm
so could i install this kit my self or would i have to have a shop fit it?
I think you can. I did it myself and was pretty easy. For the rear, I had to get something to hold one side up while I did the other side. For the side skirts, you will at first be like, damn, is this giong to fit :D But it does, it's just reallllly tight. When you put the side skirt on, you might think the side skirt fits under the car door, but I found that it was catching the car door all the time, and from looking at pics from other installed kits, like the d3 one, I found that it isn't installed that way.

4g63dsm
02-24-2004, 07:14 PM
but didn't you buy your kit used? so it would already have been if fitted right? i mean if i bought the kit new would it be that easy?

02SilverSiHB
02-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 4g63dsm
but didn't you buy your kit used? so it would already have been if fitted right? i mean if i bought the kit new would it be that easy?
there's was nothing modified to the kit when I received it, I can see it being any harder when new

eggsi
02-24-2004, 07:48 PM
so does it come with pre-drilled holes for mounting. and can i see a close up of the sides like the first two you did . i am 99% sure that i will be getting this also, but i just want to know that i can do it myself. thx Chase

IIx 03 EP xII
02-24-2004, 07:52 PM
i just got that kit... and i am having my kit installed professionaly since it is so expensive and i dont want to mess it up. the sideskirts have been a pain... so im taking it to a really good body shop, and they will do it easily, and for less than 100 bucks. 02silversihb... i trust what you said, but id rather just have some pro's do it, so if they mess it up, they will pay for it!

but other than that, the front and rear look AMAZING. it is soo rainy and dark today, or else i would have taken some pictures. hopefully later this week it will clear up.

02SilverSiHB
02-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by eggsi
so does it come with pre-drilled holes for mounting. and can i see a close up of the sides like the first two you did . i am 99% sure that i will be getting this also, but i just want to know that i can do it myself. thx Chase
no it doesn't come pre-drilled. I just used self tapping screws with my drill, it was easy.

Close ups...sorry the car is reeaaaalllll dirty, it's been raining.
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjg2OTk4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjg2OTk5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjg3MDAwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjg3MDAxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

ShowstoppersUSA
02-24-2004, 08:19 PM
The US fiberglass kit is real strong. We had VIS make this product for us and they offer some of the best fiberglass products in the industry. We so far have not had any complaints on anything partof the kit yet...

Best bang for the buck is the USDM type R lip kit...

Chuck
Showstoppers USA

02SilverSiHB
02-24-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by ShowstoppersUSA
The US fiberglass kit is real strong. We had VIS make this product for us and they offer some of the best fiberglass products in the industry. We so far have not had any complaints on anything partof the kit yet...

Best bang for the buck is the USDM type R lip kit...

Chuck
Showstoppers USA
I like the usdm kit, except the front lip, I think that if I could do it over again, I would probably go with that kit, but get the usdm mugen front lip I saw. Are you guys selling that front lip yet?
sorry, if I'm asking a question that's already been answered :D

civicSIracer
02-24-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
I like the usdm kit, except the front lip, I think that if I could do it over again, I would probably go with that kit, but get the usdm mugen front lip I saw. Are you guys selling that front lip yet?
sorry, if I'm asking a question that's already been answered :D

thats what i want to know..

eggsi
02-24-2004, 09:08 PM
thx for the pics, how much is the fiber images kit running now? availiablity, like do they make after you order? sorry for the?'s i am just in the dark.

02SilverSiHB
02-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by eggsi
thx for the pics, how much is the fiber images kit running now? availiablity, like do they make after you order? sorry for the?'s i am just in the dark.
I got mine for 1000 shipped, from a previous owner...as for how much they are now is beyond me

4g63dsm
02-24-2004, 11:26 PM
thats the combo i want, mugen front& type R replica sides and rear. Even if it is fiberglass made by vis i'm worried about busting the front lip on something. Also do you have to cut the oem bumper for the mugen to fit? cuz that would suck.