PDA

View Full Version : add another one to the list

chunky
02-23-2004, 09:00 PM
dc sports has an off road only, race header now. they made it out of mild steel? wtf were they thinking?

that price is mighty tempting though.

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_information.asp?number=DC-ASR6514&variation=&aitem=3&mitem=8&back=yes&dept=1668

Rey
02-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Does off road mean it won't pass emmissions?

Also, what does TCS mean?

NM, twin canister system.........

chunky
02-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Rey
Does off road mean it won't pass emmissions?

Also, what does TCS mean?

off-road = not street legal = eliminates the cat.

TCS = twin canister system. it's their exhaust setup.

Rey
02-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Well, when I spoke to hasport last weekend, they said our engines run so clean, that we can pass emissions in almost any state runnign straight pipe. I think California is the only state. We can pass in AZ for sure tho.

chunky
02-23-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Rey
Well, when I spoke to hasport last weekend, they said our engines run so clean, that we can pass emissions in almost any state runnign straight pipe. I think California is the only state. We can pass in AZ for sure tho.

wrong. hasport is thinking about pre obd II cars. since obd II came about, all they do is plug into the obd II connector and check for emissions readiness and do a visual inspection of the system.

You would fail the obd II scan for emissions readiness b/c you'd have no secondary o2 sensor, and you'd fail the visual inspection b/c you'd have no cat.

BlasTech
02-23-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by chunky
wrong. hasport is thinking about pre obd II cars. since obd II came about, all they do is plug into the obd II connector and check for emissions readiness and do a visual inspection of the system.

You would fail the obd II scan for emissions readiness b/c you'd have no secondary o2 sensor, and you'd fail the visual inspection b/c you'd have no cat.

Damn, my sudden surge of pride just deflated like a shrinky-dink. :(

Rey
02-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Damn, my sudden surge of pride just deflated like a shrinky-dink. :(

LOL, thanks for the info.

David K.
02-23-2004, 10:54 PM
I'm all over that header for the price; not too concerned about the mild-steel. As for emmisions, we might be able to pass the sniffer without a cat on depending on how clean our engines run, and as far as a visual inspection, I've never had a tech actually LOOK for anything; they usually just assume, and most garage mechanics wouldn't notice anyway. I would hope an O2 simulator could fool the OBD2 scanner, too. Not sure, though.

On another note, I notice they don't have an application listed for the base RSX; this will present problems with fitment to the cat-back. Oh well, nothing too difficult.

chunky
02-23-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by David K.
I'm all over that header for the price; not too concerned about the mild-steel. As for emmisions, we might be able to pass the sniffer without a cat on depending on how clean our engines run, and as far as a visual inspection, I've never had a tech actually LOOK for anything; they usually just assume, and most garage mechanics wouldn't notice anyway. I would hope an O2 simulator could fool the OBD2 scanner, too. Not sure, though.

On another note, I notice they don't have an application listed for the base RSX; this will present problems with fitment to the cat-back. Oh well, nothing too difficult.

to date, there is no reliable o2 simulator made for the k20 ecu.

brian g
02-23-2004, 11:19 PM

True we were discussing the EG with a K20A engine in it. Not the EP.

brian g

anjapower
02-24-2004, 12:10 AM
i'm going on 200 miles with my 02 simulator...i believe there's no codes on the ECU because of the 02 sim. fsugatorbait has 600+ miles I believe.

andy
02-24-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by anjapower
i'm going on 200 miles with my 02 simulator...i believe there's no codes on the ECU because of the 02 sim. fsugatorbait has 600+ miles I believe.

I've got over 1K+ miles on my 02 sim. No problems yet.

chunky
02-24-2004, 08:43 AM
which o2 sim are you guys using? the casper one?

over on club RSX, they're not too pleased with the results. I wonder if it's just the type-s that is having issues.

dofu
02-24-2004, 08:53 AM
which o2 sim are you guys using? the casper one?

over on club RSX, they're not too pleased with the results. I wonder if it's just the type-s that is having issues.

i hope you are all running the casper one...

Siman
02-24-2004, 09:11 AM
if i dont sell my car soon, i am gonna buy that header...;)

anjapower
02-24-2004, 10:18 AM
We're all running the casper sim. Apparently from what I've been reading, you have to install exactly when you take off the cat for a more trouble free experience.

Supposedly if you originally just ran the car without the 02 Sim, the CEL would cause some sort of cycling problem which would burn out one of the 02 sensors. Then when these people went and purchased the 02 sim, they'd continue to have the same problems.

I'm not sure if andy and fsugatorbait installed the sim at the time of cat removal, but that's how mine was done. You gotta be ready for a CEL if you don't have a cat, but I've got my fingers crossed for the sim to continue working.

anjapower
02-24-2004, 10:22 AM
Oh and I'm not sure about our cars passing sniffer tests...Theoretically my car should pass the inspection for new cars in MA because all that is done is an obdII reader is hooked up to the car and it checks if any codes are being thrown. We don't have to do a sniffer test until 4 or 5 years later.

However...my car definitely smells like something is different...lol it smells like a go-kart. The place better not have a sense of smell to pass you without a cat hahaha. Also, I'm not sure what the limits are for the sniffer test, but my car smells pretty rich/foul now, so I would be led to believe that it is way over the limit.

andy
02-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Yup, using the casper's sim.

I installed the cat and my catback exhaust at the same time. Drove
up to NC from FL (650+ miles each way), CEL light on most of the
tim, the very next day.
Took it to Honda (for an oil change), they were of course "concerned"
about the cat but didn't say too much.
Drove it another 2-3K miles with the CEL on, was starting to get worried
that my 02 sensor was gonna bork, but so far it's fine (I installed
the caspers sim about a month ago). I did of course reset the ECU
prior to installing the sim.

44hp/39tq sounds a bit much for that header...but who knows. If it's
true, I'm selling this cat and getting that, heh.

anjapower
02-24-2004, 01:02 PM
andy did you notice a difference in smell? I know this summer with the windows down, if I ever get stuck in traffic, I'm gonna start hallucinating, haha.

Yea no way that header is gonna give that much power...

andy
02-24-2004, 01:15 PM
andy did you notice a difference in smell? I know this summer with the windows down, if I ever get stuck in traffic, I'm gonna start hallucinating, haha.

Yea no way that header is gonna give that much power...

I meant to post that in my last post - no, I really haven't.
I *did* notice a difference prior to the sim and just after installing
the cat - even the Honda guy said it smelled like it was running
rich. But lately, I haven't noticed it. I'll try to be more aware
next time I'm around the exhaust and it's running.

anjapower
02-24-2004, 01:20 PM
the smell from my car is readily apparent...theres no smoke or anything just smells.

Rueda del Queso
02-24-2004, 01:27 PM
The gains that OptAuto has are overall for a RSX Type-S with an CAI and TCS exhaust.

fsugatorbait
02-24-2004, 02:10 PM

Ive gotton almost 1500 miles since I put the sim in and no CEL and the readings I get with my scan tool indicate that the readings are similar to stock. HTH.

EDIT: Havent noticed any difference in the smell of the exhaust. Only indicator other than the power is the different tone of the engine.

anjapower
02-24-2004, 03:51 PM
hey andy and phil please do try and more carefully look for a smell from running the test pipe. I don't know if I should be concerned that my car smells.

myeverlovinsir
02-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Have been running the megan cat for a few months now. I had no cels when I had the A3 head and hondata flash. I have yet to get a cel with the A2 head and ECU either. Freaky.

anjapower
02-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
Have been running the megan cat for a few months now. I had no cels when I had the A3 head and hondata flash. I have yet to get a cel with the A2 head and ECU either. Freaky.

Glen you notice any different smells or fumes?

myeverlovinsir
02-24-2004, 05:56 PM
No smells or fumes. I just got back from a 1500km trip with it and had no problems. I also checked to see what my oil consumption was and it was down very slight. I still do get some raspyness with the megan cat though, but only occasionally at certain revs.

anjapower
02-24-2004, 06:17 PM
that is really weird...the 2 rsx guys that have answered my thread on clubrsx say that they do get smells and colored fumes....hmmm maybe its a race header thing?

David K.
02-24-2004, 06:35 PM
My car stinks; runs rich as hell, too. I have the Caspers sim but I also have other problems. My cel is on most of the time, telling me my primary O2 sensor is messed up, but I just replaced it with a brand new one and I still have the same problem.

fsugatorbait
02-25-2004, 07:13 AM
hey andy and phil please do try and more carefully look for a smell from running the test pipe. I don't know if I should be concerned that my car smells.

I wouldnt worry about it Anj. Just a wild guess but you think it 'could' be the adapter burning off the coating, similar to breaking in a new exhaust? As a side, I took a trip this past weekend to VT and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary, if I do, ill let ya know.

Siman
02-26-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Rueda del Queso
The gains that OptAuto has are overall for a RSX Type-S with an CAI and TCS exhaust.

still, the A3 head and block could gain close to 25+ with intake and exhaust....;)

khamicazi
02-26-2004, 01:10 PM
It says it fits the RSX Type-S. Will this fit out EP's? If not what would need to be modified?

SiGuy
02-26-2004, 02:59 PM
HOLY SHIT!!! 40+ hp at the wheels? Can that true? I see that that header is for a type s rsx. Will it work with a k20a3. I don't have emissions testing where I'm at. If that claim is true and it'll fit, I'm all over it.