PDA

View Full Version : Need Help From Those Who've Installed A Header

AzN Si GuY
02-23-2004, 10:30 PM
I've done a search, but I would like some more help.

I'm on step 3 on the instructions given to install a header on K-series.com (http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=DC_EP3_HEADER)

I'm on the last of the 5 bolts that attach the header to the engine. I'm on the far left bottom one and by far the hardest bolt to get out. Any tips on getting it out. I've been using wd-40, a liquid wrench spray, a 2 foot pipe for leverage, but it still won't budge and i slip off the bolt so many times.

Please someone help me on tips on install. These stuck bolts and small space to manuever is turning what is supposed to be a somewhat easy install into a very hard one :(

dofu
02-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by AzN Si GuY
These stuck bolts and small space to manuever is turning what is supposed to be a somewhat easy install into a very hard one :(

hehe... i have the same problem at times... thats why i do the bigger projects somewhere where i have access to air tools

styllinep3
02-24-2004, 08:05 AM
what kind of wrench are you using? a open end or or a rachet? that bolt should not be that freakin tight. when we did mine thay all came out pretty easy. try getting it from underneath if you can.

Jpax
02-24-2004, 08:50 AM
use a 6 sided socket OR box end wench, makes it less likey to strip the bolt head and use a small bar on the ratchet it should come of easy, never had a problem before.

oogy-boogy
02-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by PaXiE
use a 6 sided socket OR box end wench, makes it less likey to strip the bolt head and use a small bar on the ratchet it should come of easy, never had a problem before.

Yeah, just like Pax said.....6 sided socket for sure. If not, you're on your way to stripping it. Mine took a 2 foot bar extention and a whole lot of nut power to get out as well. I had some great PB lube penetrant that helped a ton.

!@#$%
02-24-2004, 03:07 PM
i wrote the actual install. Use some PB lube, however I only needed a 12'' snap on swivel ratchet. I loosened all of those above the engine.

Lucid Moments
02-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by !@#$%
i wrote the actual install. Use some PB lube, however I only needed a 12'' snap on swivel ratchet. I loosened all of those above the engine.

Note the swivel ratchet. That is what I used as well. Plus I was underneath the car holding the socket on the bolt with my brother above turning the wrench. It was a bitch to get off.

batboy02si
02-24-2004, 07:38 PM
that one was tough. but like everyone said your best to use an extension on the end of the rachet.