PDA

View Full Version : Daily driver - suggested mods?

trump
02-24-2004, 08:07 AM
I bought my 03 Si about a week ago. On my first few tanks of gas after break in, I only got 230-250 miles. I'm not sure if it was because of the tightness of the new motor or launching off a few stop lights. Since then, I've been shifting as early as possible and driving like a grandma for the most part, and it's looking like I'll get about 300 miles on this tank.

With that said, I'm looking to get a few more horsies out of my motor. A few (cheap) suggested mods I've heard of are:

1. Delete the Cat and replace with 2.25 in. pipe from the stock headers back to the stock muffler. (approx 5 hp)

Question: Considering I want the low-end torque so I can shift early and retain gas milage, is this a good mod?

2. Add a cold air intake. (approx 5 hp)

Question: Who makes a CAI? The only intakes I've seen are AEM's SRI and Comptech's CAI box.

With these two mods, will I only notice a 10 hp increase max, or will the two combined add 15 hp max? AND will I lose much low end torque leaving me with worse gas milage?

Also, what do you all suggest for cheap mods? Keep in mind, I don't want to replace the header just yet because I'm going to put a Turbo on it eventualy.

Help a newbie out :smilem: The only performance work I've ever done was on my crotch rocket.

Thanks,
Brad

trump
02-24-2004, 08:33 AM
I just found AEM's V2 intake. The dyno is pretty impressive, but it's rather pricey!

dofu
02-24-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by trump
I just found AEM's V2 intake. The dyno is pretty impressive, but it's rather pricey!

i personally think its all propaganda... i like the aem cai, but ppl are saying the injen cai is better. the v2 isnt true cold air... it's still in the engine compartment. the dc header is a good mod to do for a street car, but it looks like you're already looking into the race header, so i'd have to suggest jackson racing. you ever thought about an exhaust system? you can go with just a midpipe to your stock muffler or axleback or full catback...
but first before you do any of this, you should drop your car... you'll like the way it drives a lot more (and it'll make your car look so much nicer)

btw... the k20 responds to mods really well, and i think jackson racing's race header makes 20 by itself.

andy
02-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Dofu answered some of this, but here goes:

Originally posted by trump
Since then, I've been shifting as early as possible and driving like a grandma for the most part, and it's looking like I'll get about 300 miles on this tank.

I got similar results. If you keep it under 5K or so, your mileage
should be pretty good. Hondata and/or other mods (intake) will
help with the mileage. Still, for the 9 gallons I usually fill it up
with, 250 miles is pretty good.

1. Delete the Cat and replace with 2.25 in. pipe from the stock headers back to the stock muffler. (approx 5 hp)

Question: Considering I want the low-end torque so I can shift early and retain gas milage, is this a good mod?

You don't really need to remove the cat - the midpipe (from behind
cat to muffler/axle back) is the real limiting factor. Getting a
2.25 in. pipe to replace that will free up the 5hp you are looking
for. I put on a complete cat-back exhaust (Comptech, 2.25 or 2.5 I'm
not totally sure) and didn't notice any significant low-end loss.

2. Add a cold air intake. (approx 5 hp)

Question: Who makes a CAI? The only intakes I've seen are AEM's SRI and Comptech's CAI box.

Injen also makes a CAI. There's a DC Sports one out there, too, but
it is more of a short ram (I think). DC Sports was bought out by
AEM, though, too.
There are also "el cheapo" CAI's on eBay. Plenty of them, in fact,
heh.

With these two mods, will I only notice a 10 hp increase max, or will the two combined add 15 hp max? AND will I lose much low end torque leaving me with worse gas milage?

Since you're new, I suggest you go to Comptech's site and look at
their dyno sheets. IIRC, they have dynos of just the exhaust, just
the intake, etc. Also, a few ephatcher's recently did a dyno run
and posted their results - check the Dyno forum. This will help give
you an idea of what mods will produce what results.
Each car/dyno varies, but with an intake and midpipe you'll probably
see about a 10-15 hp increase, with little to no loss of low end.
Mileage should improve (provided you don't like the increase and
don't want to rev it high all the time ;) ).

Also, what do you all suggest for cheap mods? Keep in mind, I don't want to replace the header just yet because I'm going to put a Turbo on it eventualy.

Help a newbie out :smilem: The only performance work I've ever done was on my crotch rocket.

Thanks,
Brad

Cheap mods - intake, midpipe, ES motor mount inserts (helps keep
the power on the ground), an RSX-S rear sway bar. New tires will
really help, but they aren't exactly cheap. So will Hondata (ECU
reflash), but that isn't cheap, either.

No problem about being a newb - we were all one at some point. Do
some searching/reading up on old posts and you'll find a ton of
info. Also, check out k-series.com and honda-tech.com when you get
the chance. And post pics of your bike - sounds pretty sweet.

EDIT: {b} tags pwn me.

VividDreams
02-24-2004, 07:01 PM
yeah, post pics of the bike, fellow motorcyclist here:cool:

trump
02-25-2004, 01:24 PM
thanks for the info guys. i'll need to do some reading but, i like to participate in chat too, so i might ask a few redundant questions :p

so here's my baby...there are a few short videos on my website in the gallery, as well as pictures of me and some of my members. i'm working on a nice 5 minute video right now, so i'll keep yall posted.

http://bikefreq.com/bikeforum/images/NewSuit.jpg

http://bikefreq.com/bikeforum/images/NewSuit1.jpg

My buddy got an 02 GSX-R750. it was my first time to anything bigger than a 600. that d@mn bike almost snapped my neck because it took off so fast.