PDA

View Full Version : Custom Turbo - Need advice

tekgnosis
02-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Hey guys

I need a devil's advocate. I might be able to pickup a slightly used turbo from a wrx. it has 10K on it, and has little to no shaft play (1mm).

It comes with the up/down pipe, which will be enough to get the turbo mounted (the manifolds are completely usable for welding to other exhaust pipes).

I'm an avid weekend mechanic and have a big drive to get a turbo.

But, I don't want a turbo kit...I want to build it myself for the fun. I will collect all the parts and slowly gather everything to my satisfaction.

I need a devil's advocate to explain to me why this is a bad idea if in fact it is a bad idea.

Anyone?

I'll be collecting the parts over the next year or so, buying stuff at random.

any help is appreciated!

thanks!

esmith13
02-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Go for it!!! Log everything you do and take LOTS of pictures!

DO IT, DO IT!! :D

Oh, you wanted to be told NOT to do it....

Sorry can't help you there.... DO IT!!!! :D

Seriously tho, just make sure you get a GOOD turbo manifold, use a S-AFC II for the fuel computer (if the Cybernation Guardian isn't done by the time your ready) and make your down pipe 2.5" - the EP seems to like 2.5" WAY better than 3.0". Oh, don't forget a good O2 simulator if your takin out the cat too.

Eric

K-Series
02-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Well, the "hardware" is the easy part. You can piece together the piping, intercooler, turbo, manifold and DP on your own. Fuel mgmt is where it get's tough.

I don't know if EManage, Hondata, or even CN's Guardian will be able to calculate the fuel for a custom set up.

You may need to go stand alone or AEM's unit.

Anyone else?

Steve

esmith13
02-24-2004, 10:01 AM
I thought guardian could adapt to ANYTHING the fuel system could put out enough fuel for???

Oh, yeah, that reminds me... If the turbo is a decent size get some larger injectors too... 550cc seems to be a good size.

Eric

K-Series
02-24-2004, 10:03 AM
I don't know, I think they're trying to determine that now. I guess it can monitor the internal numbers all the same, actual turbo may no matter.

Hmm....very interesting.

:)

Steve

tekgnosis
02-24-2004, 10:10 AM
sweet, thanks for the quick replies, guys.

i was definitely thinking of getting a fuel management system.

I've got a PDA, and will soon have access to the full ODBC-II..wait, that's database. OBD2? man, I'm tired.

anyways, I'll have access to that all, so Im' not worried. I was going to buy bigger injectors, a fuel rail, bigger fuel pump, etc. no worries there.

I'm just at the initial stage of buying the first components...and not sure whether or not to do a custom turbo, or just save like a mother, and buy a kit...which in my mind wouldn't be as much fun as building my own.

Like I said...weekend hobby mechanic. I'd love to build my own kit :) (I'm just looking for someone to be a devil's advocate and try to talk me out of a custom turbo, and into a kit, that's all). :)

K-Series
02-24-2004, 10:14 AM
I'm all for experimentation bro, good luck! :)

Steve

esmith13
02-24-2004, 10:20 AM
I would not recommend a new fuel rail. As far as I know, only AEM makes a replacement for us and it's internal diameter is actually smaller than stock!! It's only fair use is for direct port nitrous injection on an otherwise N/A engine...

Eric

Boost Junkie
02-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by US_Si
Well, the "hardware" is the easy part. You can piece together the piping, intercooler, turbo, manifold and DP on your own. Fuel mgmt is where it get's tough.

I don't know if EManage, Hondata, or even CN's Guardian will be able to calculate the fuel for a custom set up.

You may need to go stand alone or AEM's unit.

Anyone else?

Steve

Guardian E.I. will be able to adjust fuel on most setups. Even if it is a custom setup.

Boost Junkie
02-24-2004, 10:35 AM
We are working on a new fuel rail for Turbo applications. We should have it completed in the next week or so then on to testing. If all goes well, should be available with in the next month.

esmith13
02-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Uhhh.... baby.....

:D

Eric

tekgnosis
02-24-2004, 11:55 AM
whoa, as if the inner diameter of the fuel rail is smaller! nuts!

that's good to know.

ok, well the turbo etc is on its way to me now, so I guess the project is underway :)

thanks guys!

danoonez
02-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Boost Junkie
Guardian E.I. will be able to adjust fuel on most setups. Even if it is a custom setup.

Holy s*** this just keeps getting better and better!

gti202
02-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Well i can see the cost benefit of piecing together your own kit but you have to consider a few things. First off if this is the stock turbo off of a wrx then you will be seriously limited to the power you will put out...which is not necessarily a bad thing but it depends on your goals. The stock wrx turbo also has a very strange flange for both the manifold side and dp side so this could pose a problem. Also the uppipe and downpipe will most likely not work when you get the turbo mounted so you would have to remake those as well. You would most likely be better off picking up a t3/t4, which are relatively cheap and you would make more power and have an easier time putting it together as well. As far as management that is going to be the hardest part. Just giving you a heads up.

tekgnosis
02-25-2004, 04:51 PM
The reason why I mentioned getting the uppipe and the downpipe is because i can basically cut off the pipes about 1" away from the turbo, and have the flanges ready for adapting to the manifold, and the rest of hte exhaust sytem.

as for the fuel management system, what do you guys think of the HKS SAPR, or whatever it's called?

And what is this magical Guardian E.I., and where can I read more about it? :)

You guys have got me interested!

Also, what size of intercooler do you guys have?

BTW: my main goal is low amounts of boost, a fast spooling turbo (I should have gotten a T25, I know), and to beat a WRX. :)

I'm competing in Solo1, and want my car to kickass on the track. It might hurt a bit for solo2, but hopefully it can be overcome by the quick spooling business. so, perhaps I'll have to get a T25. hrm.

decisions decisions...

too bad the WRX turbo is already in the mail :(

Ph0nK
03-06-2004, 10:53 AM
So you're going to cut the stock header, and then do some custom welding to get it to meet the turbo?

I'm pretty new to turbos, but my roommates have built turbo setups multiple times, so I'm thinking of doing this myself too (I'd rather learn how it all works than just slap a kit on).

tekgnosis
03-08-2004, 07:19 AM
actually, I bought a manifold off of ebay. it doesn't have any flanges on it, and the pipe doesn't even have a hole in it for the flange...but that's what the fun is all about :)

the manifold didn't cost much...I got it off of ebay. the piece is VERY strong. the welds are gorgeous, too.

I have to agree...it's much more fun doing it this way. I've already learned a lot in the past couple of weeks. And, when something goes wrong, I'll know what it is, and how I f*cked it up :) hehehe

good luck with a setup!