PDA

View Full Version : what octane gas should i use ?

twigg
02-24-2004, 03:12 PM
what octane gas should i use in my 2002 si? the manual says over 86 but dosen't specify which?

sonic imperial
02-24-2004, 03:19 PM
you're going to get a variety of responses. i use 93 just because i can tell the engine runs quieter. but 87 will work.

BlairSpeed
02-24-2004, 04:22 PM
I believe Hondata proved that we gain 2-3HP with 91+ octane, plus I think the engine runs smoother with it as well.

jaydub
02-24-2004, 04:33 PM
According to the owners manual and the American Honda Motors Owner's Link page....

Does it help to use a fuel with a higher octane rating than required in my Owner's Manual?

Refer to your Owner's Manual for the pump octane number recommended for your Honda. Use of a lower-octane gasoline than recommended can cause a persistent, heavy metallic rapping noise in the engine that can lead to mechanical damage.

Using more expensive, higher-octane fuel will not increase your vehicle's performance or longevity. It only increases the cost of operating your vehicle.

silverfoxsi
02-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Many independent tests have shown that there is no benefit to using an octane rating above whats required. Higher octane fuel burns slower, thereby warding off pre-igition in applications where higher compression or more agressive spark advance curves warrant it. Using it in an application that doesn't require it may actually hurt fuel economy. My brother actually proved this on his V/6 Honda. For grins you could document your fuel mileage on a few tanks of regular, take an average. Then average a few tanks of plus. If you see an improvement great. Also be really honest with yourself, if you don't see an improvement try not to convince yourself that it actually "feels" better in some vague way. If you truly feel the the drivability is improved - great! Most all gasoline today has detergent in it, so if you don't really need the extra octane you're not givin' your car a treat by going to premium.

JLannoo
02-24-2004, 06:44 PM
If I put in anything lower then 91+ my car smells like ass. Thats enough reason for me

seattlecivic
02-24-2004, 08:25 PM
I decided to try with 93 octane a couple weeks ago and actually got closer to 300 miles per tank without the light coming on. I think it was about 289 miles before it came on. All the other times I put in 89 Octane it would come on around 260 miles of driving. I do feel the car running smoother and quieter.

I'm sure lots of people have done tests. I didn't exactly calculate how much fuel was lost and pumped between tanks of gas. Maybe I just filled it up a little more or avoided hills. I dunno, but I kinda like having 93 octane in my car. ^_^

ep_nezay
02-24-2004, 08:30 PM
If you dont have a built motor or are FI, just use 87, anything else is a waste of money.

Civicvtec1ps
02-24-2004, 09:05 PM
I use 89 all the time.

ep3hatchattack
02-25-2004, 12:37 AM
I always use 87 because that is what it suggest. I think if i had infinite money, because the quality, and supposed 3hp gain, and better gas milage i would go 91. But for now i say 87. Thanks, dave

seattlecivic
02-25-2004, 12:40 AM
It makes sense... to save money :-) We all should just use 87. I just watched the news and said gas prices estimated to reach $2.75 a gallon this summer. :-(

ep3hatchattack
02-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by seattlecivic
It makes sense... to save money :-) We all should just use 87. I just watched the news and said gas prices estimated to reach $2.75 a gallon this summer. :-(

Yeah, i dont understand it. What happened to raise the prices so high again. i was diggin the $1.49 a gallon at arco. I live in the bay area, and gas prices are the highest in the nation over here. It blows. Now its already $2.05 for 87 at the cheaper places here in Marin.

ULTRAMANIA
02-25-2004, 01:20 AM
i use supreme wherever i go cause i want the best liquids for my car.. i think it deserves that. .heh.. but with these gas prices going up like mad, i dunno man.. i might have to just go down to plus..

ep3hatchattack
02-25-2004, 01:23 AM
Im a post whore! Jk, but not..... i am tonite..............

anyhow............ does anyone have a reason to why the prices are up....... i dont watch the news so dont laugh if you all know..... and i am sure its because of the war shit..... but i want the real facts........

seattlecivic
02-25-2004, 01:45 AM
They were saying something about the california refinary where they do the gas stuff... Forget what it was called.. but then they said the real reason is probably due to corporate greed! ^_^

ep3hatchattack
02-25-2004, 01:48 AM
SeattleCivic......Thank You......... SeattleCivic.......... I finally got a decent answer...........

I got that whole Jerry Maguire shit goin on tonite........ sorry, im up late and got shit to do......