PDA

View Full Version : Rust?

Tom Bombadill
10-01-2002, 10:22 AM
My wife did some research on a Japanese messages board for me and found the Japanese have a big concern with rust on the Swindon cars.

I don't know if anyone here in the states has had any damage that would open the door for corrosion, but this is a major concern for me as I live in MA and they salt heavily in the winter here.

I like the car, though I have yet to drive one.
But poor corrosion protection would exclude it from list.

Regards,

-Matt

HondaMan
10-01-2002, 10:11 PM
I can't recall ever seeing any Honda with noticeable rust, much less a relatively new Honda (like a new EP...besides its to early to really tell how well the EP holds up against rust but overall Hondas hold up well). However, I've never lived in the North where rust is a much bigger problem.

Spidey
10-01-2002, 10:16 PM
I think any car would be subject to rust because of salt on the roads and I have never heard of a particular make of vehicle being more affected by it than others. Any car will rust over time or if not properly maintained.

HondaMan
10-01-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Spidey
I think any car would be subject to rust because of salt on the roads and I have never heard of a particular make of vehicle being more affected by it than others. Any car will rust over time or if not properly maintained.

True, rust will get to any car sooner or later.

Tom Bombadill
10-02-2002, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by HondaMan

True, rust will get to any car sooner or later.

I agree, I just hope later rather than sooner.

:)

I understand from a UK site that the new civics are not galvanized. While this is a concern, if I can get one for under 17k (which seems easy enough) I might sleep well enough.

SmoothOperator
10-02-2002, 01:10 PM
I'm looking at this car as an investment. And I plan to protect that investment as much as possible. That's why I'm storing this baby during the winter. No salt goes near my EP. :D

NamingException
10-02-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator
I'm looking at this car as an investment. And I plan to protect that investment as much as possible. That's why I'm storing this baby during the winter. No salt goes near my EP. :D

You're garaging a 19 thousand dollar car? Damn. I like my car and all, but I wouldn't garage it even if it costed me 35k. Guess that's just me.

SmoothOperator
10-02-2002, 01:44 PM
Well I also plan on putting a lot of money into it. I feel like I'm throwing my cash away when I pour money into a rustbucket. That's how I felt with my EG.

Spidey
10-02-2002, 06:50 PM
I don't consider cars as an investment. They're more like a money pit. after 10 yrs they're pretty much worthless plus all the insurance, gas, repair costs etc. I think getting a good car is worthwhile so that you can cut down costs like gas, insurance and repairs etc.

SmoothOperator
10-02-2002, 06:55 PM
That's true. I should'nt really say it's an investment. It's just that, by the time I've finished with the engine, bodykit, etc etc. It will no longer be just a $19000 car. get my drift?