PDA

View Full Version : Info on JRSC directly from Jackson Racing

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-26-2004, 06:26 PM
I became more and more interested in the JRSC fter reading a couple of threads. Before deciding to purchase one, I gave Jackson Racing a call directly w/ a couple questions. Here's what I found out directly from Keith, their "supercharger engineer" (according to them)

1) How do I know if I purchased on of the fautly kits that had the bearing issue?
He stated that they placed a recall to all the vendors/suppliers for the 02-04 Civic Si kits. They have received 2/3 of all the products, repaired them, and shipped them right back out. As for the remaining 1/3, the best thing to do is ask the place you're purchasing the supercharger from how LONG that particular kit was in their inventory. If it was more than about 1 week, ask them to order a new one from Jackson Racing. He mention Landspeed, a new vendor here on ephatch. I believe a rep from Landspeed (Jon) indicated in his thread that they are shipping out fresh kits. Another way to tell is by a BUILD DATE, located on a white sticker w/ the part number. This date says when the package was sealed. He also says if you're in doubt, call them 805.681.4310 and ask for Keith. Tell them Paul from So Cali said to call to make sure your kit was one of the new ones.

2) How does the whole Hondata deal work?
Well after you purchase the kit, they send out the upgrades (sorry forgot what exactly is included) along w/ a box for your ecu. The box has a packing slip that goes directly to Hondata. They flash and send it right back to you.

3) What type of upgrades are available to raise the boost?
None as of right now. HOWEVER, they are developing a kit to raise the boost just like the ones for the B-series. In other words, getting new injectors after bolting on the supercharger won't do a damn thing until you upgrade the pulleys and power card. The kit will easily break 200whp.

4) How much of a difference will there be between your race header and a regular one? I ask cuz of emmission issues in Cali.
A WHOLE lot. Having a regular header like DC or HP will make a SLIGHT difference. (This may have been a no brainer but I wanted to see his answer)

5) What type of maintenance is involved compared to turbo'd car?
Just need to change the belt after a certain time (he didn't specify and forgot to ask)

So I hope this helps everyone out. IF this is a repost, I apologize. As for myself, I'm pretty set on getting this kit. HTH.

Paul

ALCT
02-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by RiCeCoOkEr1280

2) How does the whole Hondata deal work?
Well after you purchase the kit, they send out the upgrades (sorry forgot what exactly is included) along w/ a box for your ecu. The box has a packing slip that goes directly to Hondata. They flash and send it right back to you.

Paul

any additional charges for it?
very good info by the way.

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Yes... I believe its at LEAST the charge of the current Hondata flash...

MCeez02Si
02-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info. Ricecooker! As minute some might think these questions are, it's valuable to people like me.

This has nothing to do with your post, but I just want to babble a bit:

It's funny how many EP3 owners trade in their cars as they end up becoming dissatisfied over time. At least on my behalf, I purchased an EP3 because of reliability associated with Honda's, good build quality and ride, decent gas mileage, and room that no other compact coupe/hatchback for the $ could even compete with. I've owned a SpecV and a 02 Toyota Corolla. Both are great cars, but the few extra inches in space the EP3 provides cannot be compared to. Even something little as not having the middle beam on the floor is praised by backseat passengers I have on occassions.

From experience, trading in any new car for a more powerful one will set you back much much more than boosting would cost in the long run. I think many people tend to forget why they bought the EP3. In addition, I think S/C'ing or Turbo'ing our durable engines will last just as long as many others.

Especially to the younger one's, seriously think about the $ you'll lose trading in your cars early. I've learned the hard way and you will get butt-raped by the dealers.

mrfixit687
02-26-2004, 09:17 PM
whens the goddamn race version coming out

ALCT
02-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Yes... I believe its at LEAST the charge of the current Hondata flash...

I just want to make things clear, do we get the 42% hp increase by only using the JR power card which is included in the kit or is it after having the hondata reflash.
thx

Low Rider
02-27-2004, 04:56 AM
Cool thread man... thanks!!!:D

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-27-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by ALCT
I just want to make things clear, do we get the 42% hp increase by only using the JR power card which is included in the kit or is it after having the hondata reflash.
thx

From what I understand, the Hondata simply smoothes the power band; it doesn't increase the power like the NA flash but I can find out.

trk
02-27-2004, 07:24 AM
From what I understand, the Hondata simply smoothes the power band; it doesn't increase the power like the NA flash but I can find out.

Wait. The hondata flash is for the "race version" -- and thats not even available for our cars yet, is it?

Or is the hondata flash now part of the regular kit?

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-27-2004, 08:09 AM
It's part of the regular kit.

rook
02-27-2004, 09:18 AM
I spoke with landspeed racing today to verify the hondata question. They said the hondata is for the race version, which has not been released. The street version comes with the power card. If they were selling this kit with hondata for $2600, it would be a steal.

rook

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Maybe I was unclear. The Hondata flash is designed for BOTH the street and race version. IT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE KIT. It is an additional cost for the flash. HTH.

Paul

mrfixit687
02-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Maybe I was unclear. The Hondata flash is designed for BOTH the street and race version. IT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE KIT. It is an additional cost for the flash. HTH.

Paul

are you 110% sure that the hondata is also made for the base version? i've been waiting for the race version because i dont want to hack the wiring for the ecu with the power card

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-27-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm 90% sure. I'll find out today.

2fastcivic
02-27-2004, 11:03 AM
the hondata does not work w/ the base model. only the race version which is for the rsx right now. the JRSC for the 02 si used the jackson racing powercard.

02SilverSiHB
02-27-2004, 11:13 AM
nice research man. I wonder how much damn longer it will take for hondata to post their results...We've waited a while now. I remember Doug said it would be in a couple weeks...maybe I'm wrong...but that was like months ago...still no update on hondata.com only for the type s.
As for the cost...it's 795 for those that have already bought a hondata flash..according to hondatas site...so look in the 1200 range for hondata flash, relocation for the map sensor, and 440cc injectors.

RiCeCoOkEr1280
02-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Are the 440cc injectors necessary for the Hondata flash? I was under the impression after my conversation yesterday that larger injectors will only make a difference when raising the boost.

02SilverSiHB
02-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Are the 440cc injectors necessary for the Hondata flash? I was under the impression after my conversation yesterday that larger injectors will only make a difference when raising the boost.
I would think it would be. Hondata does this with the type s. I'm thinking that they raise mess with the timing a bit, and when they raise the revs...more fuel may be needed? Or maybe with the type s it's needed for it's already high compression...but this injector thing is the usual for hondata and their tuning.

1 fstr si
02-28-2004, 08:28 AM
as for the date on the white sticker. what would be a good date to have on ur sticker. cuz i wanna know so i can go look at my little white JRSC sticker and yell woohoo, or not.

RiCeCoOkEr1280
03-03-2004, 06:23 AM
I'm not too sure about the specific date. When I asked Keith what the date should be AFTER, he mention an October date, but his answer wasn't clear. Dunno if that helped any....

Hey 1fstrsi, howz the car runnin'? I'm considering slappin this bad boy on when warranty runs out in 5k miles... Do you pull on a2's w/ i/h/e & hondata? There's a grip of fools in so cali w/ that setup... That's my #1 goal... to handle them.... thanks in advance...

oogy-boogy
03-03-2004, 07:48 AM
Great write up Paul...You answered a few questions that I've had....

RiCeCoOkEr1280
03-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
Great write up Paul...You answered a few questions that I've had....

I'm glad I could help... It may not be the same power as the Greddy kit but it's less maintenance... Plus, upgrading the pulley and raising the boost will break 200whp (well w/ the hondata, injectors, and race header of course that won't be a problem at all)

Paul

1 fstr si
03-03-2004, 07:00 PM
dont know about all that done to an A2, but i do pull pretty good on A2's. and i am currently running on the street with my 18's, and pull well, so, if you are equipped with something lightweight and not huge like my wheels, im sure you would have no problem beatin an A2 with i/h/e hondata. my JRSC was possibly made after the problem was diagnosed, and my reasoning for this is that i have approximately 1400 miles on my SC, and have had nothing but fuin with it, and i am not at all easy on it. but one thing i do make sure of, is that my car is nioce and warm before i boost.

anyone have anymore questions?

ALCT
03-03-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm glad I could help... It may not be the same power as the Greddy kit but it's less maintenance... Plus, upgrading the pulley and raising the boost will break 200whp (well w/ the hondata, injectors, and race header of course that won't be a problem at all)

Paul

this question is actually for all of you:
at the end of JRSC install instructions it says " do not run a performance camshaft with a supercharger'' , I don't know too much about superchargers but I assume upgrading the engine internals is not a possibility with the SC.
upgrading the pulleys, raising the boost, hondata i/h/e and that's where we will end up at 200 whp? in other words I shouldn't expect a 12-13 second car with a SC with all the possible upgrades?

like many other members (I guess) I am trying to chose between the SC and aturbo kit.

mrfixit687
03-03-2004, 11:09 PM
you can upgrade the internals to handle higher amounts of boost sure, but if you run a performance camshaft designed for n/a applications you'll hurt your horsepower output

bgsteve523
03-07-2004, 09:41 AM
hey rice cooker what happened to your turbo kit? Saw your little quote just wondering.