PDA

View Full Version : K20a2 head swap....

SpoonEP3
02-26-2004, 07:08 PM
is the k20a2 head swap a good idea, i am kind of tired of being a little afraid everytime i take my car to 8000rpm with my hondata k20a3... i just don't feel safe but i love it.... how much is a k20a2 head anyway (around what price).... after i get the head swap, can i use the type-s ecu because i want to go 9000rpm with hondata reflash on that.... thanks for helping out...

Civicvtec1ps
02-26-2004, 07:27 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30715&highlight=k20a2

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25166&highlight=k20a2

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29508&highlight=head+swap

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29415&highlight=head+swap

:confused:

SpoonEP3
02-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30715&highlight=k20a2

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25166&highlight=k20a2

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29508&highlight=head+swap

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29415&highlight=head+swap

:confused:

thanks, it says on one of those links that it is 800-900 from honda-tech, and 1700 from dealer... a very stupid question, the head comes with all the valves, and valve springs, cams, pistols, connecting rods, and the main block right?

Rueda del Queso
02-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Nah, just the valve train and cams. Connecting rods, pistons and block are sold seperately.

SpoonEP3
02-26-2004, 09:04 PM
after the head swap, if it is only the valve train and cams... does our profile change for the exhaust valve when we hit vtec? because we have vtec-e right now. will that change to become real vtec? and is it possible for me to swap ecu and use the type-s ecu? thanks for helping out Rueda del Queso!

ChromedOutSi
02-26-2004, 09:05 PM
i'd jus get nos man, thats wut i'm gettin. prolly hit 13s easy with nos.

SpoonEP3
02-26-2004, 09:08 PM
nos, no way... i go auto x, and willow spring... nos is no power that last...

SpoonEP3
02-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by ChromedOutSi
i'd jus get nos man, thats wut i'm gettin. prolly hit 13s easy with nos.

wet or dry, how many shot... 13 easy? with k20a3 stock? your redline is at 6800 you know, there is no way you can hit 13s. you have to shift to 4th gear...

ChromedOutSi
02-26-2004, 09:12 PM
i dunno i'll ask my boi he's got nos on his GSR. I try to shift a lil after 7100 so maybe ur ride is diffrent? Sometimes my car makes funny noise when i do that so i might be takin ti back to da dealer.

2fastcivic
02-26-2004, 09:17 PM
i dunno i'll ask my boi he's got nos on his GSR. I try to shift a lil after 7100 so maybe ur ride is diffrent? Sometimes my car makes funny noise when i do that so i might be takin ti back to da dealer.

that funny noise is your motor gettin ready to go boooooommmm. and the dealer won't fix an overrev. and a gsr is totally different from our Si. hahaha rookie.

DavidT
02-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Dude if you're worried about revving to 8k on a A3 head, just throw some Toda valve springs on there or something. It'll prevent valve float and is designed to run to 9k RPMs. And also, even with a A2 head 9k RPMs isn't recommended on a stock head and especially on the A3 block ;)

But to date, I have not heard or seen anybody with a valve float problem on their A3 head regarding Hondata revs. A guy sheared a lobe on his cam and I guess that ruined his rocker arms revving high with Hondata and didn't even float a valve on his A3 head. I forgot his name but do a search and you'll find him on this board. That's the only prob I've heard about Hondata so far.

ecsahs3
02-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by 2fastcivic
that funny noise is your motor gettin ready to go boooooommmm. and the dealer won't fix an overrev. and a gsr is totally different from our Si. hahaha rookie.

that's money

civicSIracer
02-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by SpoonEP3
thanks, it says on one of those links that it is 800-900 from honda-tech, and 1700 from dealer... a very stupid question, the head comes with all the valves, and valve springs, cams, pistols, connecting rods, and the main block right?

what is a pistol my friend? hahaha

any ways, a "head" doesent come with the "block" hahaha. and your afraid to take hondata to 8000 but you want to take the A3 with the a2 head to 9000rpm.. what the fuck man that dont make any sense:yellm:

SiRman
02-27-2004, 12:53 AM
can i use the type-s ecu because i want to go 9000rpm with hondata reflash on that

Yes, you can use the type S ECU.
But if you are going to flash it hondata anyways you could just get your A3 ECU reflashed with a A2 hondata program, since you already have hondata I think it's only like a couple hundred bucks to get a
new map reflash.

The only disadvantage of using the A3 ECU is no reverse solenoid lockout if you plan on using a 6speed tranny. If you plan to go 6 speed then you will need to use a A2 ECU if you want the reverse lock out to work.

ChromedOutSi
02-27-2004, 06:53 AM
will dis get me into da 12s? wut if i run nos n turbo 2.

trk
02-27-2004, 07:16 AM
will dis get me into da 12s? wut if i run nos n turbo 2.

Dude, WTF. You must be 15 and just graduated from a schwinn to a new si.

You have won the award for absolute stupidest posts I've seen in months in each of the last 3 threads I read.

fsugatorbait
02-27-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by trk
Dude, WTF. You must be 15 and just graduated from a schwinn to a new si.

You have won the award for absolute stupidest posts I've seen in months in each of the last 3 threads I read.

Agreed, room 8 is that'a way. :p

Blackapino85
02-27-2004, 12:15 PM
aww...cut the poor guy some slack. he probably just got an ep and is going through his wishful thinking fast and furious stage. it will pass. he's just a newbie.:D i retract my previuos statement. i read his previous thread about his engine. this must be a joke. i've never heard talk like that except from kids in the 6th grade.

SpoonEP3
02-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
Dude if you're worried about revving to 8k on a A3 head, just throw some Toda valve springs on there or something. It'll prevent valve float and is designed to run to 9k RPMs. And also, even with a A2 head 9k RPMs isn't recommended on a stock head and especially on the A3 block ;)

But to date, I have not heard or seen anybody with a valve float problem on their A3 head regarding Hondata revs. A guy sheared a lobe on his cam and I guess that ruined his rocker arms revving high with Hondata and didn't even float a valve on his A3 head. I forgot his name but do a search and you'll find him on this board. That's the only prob I've heard about Hondata so far.

thanks for tell me that, would you happen to know who sells the toda valve springs and how much they are? thanks davidt//// :D

SpoonEP3
02-27-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by SiRman
Yes, you can use the type S ECU.
But if you are going to flash it hondata anyways you could just get your A3 ECU reflashed with a A2 hondata program, since you already have hondata I think it's only like a couple hundred bucks to get a
new map reflash.

The only disadvantage of using the A3 ECU is no reverse solenoid lockout if you plan on using a 6speed tranny. If you plan to go 6 speed then you will need to use a A2 ECU if you want the reverse lock out to work.

thanks, but now i think about it, i think i am going to just go with the toda valve springs....

SpoonEP3
02-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by civicSIracer
what is a pistol my friend? hahaha

any ways, a "head" doesent come with the "block" hahaha. and your afraid to take hondata to 8000 but you want to take the A3 with the a2 head to 9000rpm.. what the fuck man that dont make any sense:yellm:

thanks for correcting me, i mean piston... hahahah.... from my understanding, our block, connecting rods, pistons are the same as the type-s... so i believe that i can go at least 8500 rpm with the head swap right? will my hondata a3 ecu be ok if i do the head swap? does that mean the vtec after the swap is no longer vtec-e?
thanks for helping out....