PDA

View Full Version : Washing engine bay

ImportCustomx
02-26-2004, 10:25 PM
How do we go about washin the engine bay..i wanna keep it clean clean clean clean!...just at any car wash use the self wash thing and use the rinse on there..or high pressure rinse? wat are some do's and dont's

oogy-boogy
02-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Sup...Nice to see another MA owner on the site :)

First off, try to wash the motor when it's cool. You don't want to stain any of the cast metal. Get yourself a nice bottle of Simple Green at a discounted place like Walmart, Sams Club, etc. Simple Green is great because it will not eat away at any finishes and is completely biodegradeable. It's also the best rim cleaning agent out there. It won't effect the finish like some other agents out there. Just to give you an idea of how great it is, we use it at my work facility to gently clean $8,000.00 Aircraft seal assemblies.

Second: I usually hose down the motor first to get it wet (cover any SRI's with a bag and rubber band and try not to go too crazy on electrical connections).

3rd: Spray down some 100% Simple Green all over. We're talking motor, under hood, etc. Let it sit for ~ 5 minutes (don't let it dry). Get a nice soft bristled car wash brush and gently scrub everything.

4th: Spray down with some H20....Under hood first, then motor.

5th: I usually dry and hand buff a few things like the valve cover, hoses CAI, etc. Helps to eliminate stains.

6th: Don't forget to do it in the winter as well. Road salt/sand can be a hoar on motors.

Tadaaaa!!!!! You're done. Usually only takes me 20 minutes and I try to do it as the last step when I wash my car.

HTH

:D

Spidey
02-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Can someone post a pic of the engine bay and circle/highlight the
areas of the engine that should be covered? I'm not too knowledgeable under the hood so I'm kind of lost when it's suggested to cover this or cover that.
thanks! :D

STP03BlueSI
02-27-2004, 01:06 PM
I ususally take off my Spoon Covers, and my Injen engine covers. Hose it down(dont have to worry about the SRI because the way i have the heatshield on it), then use want ever i am using to clean the car with. Everyonce and while I use Orange(like simple green):D

Chris

oogy-boogy
02-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Spidey
Can someone post a pic of the engine bay and circle/highlight the
areas of the engine that should be covered? I'm not too knowledgeable under the hood so I'm kind of lost when it's suggested to cover this or cover that.
thanks! :D

Just try not too go too nutty on the valve cover or the battery. If you have an SRI, that would be the onlything I would cover.